Best Value Universal Wine Glass

I have a few dozen of these. Great all-around wine glass and extremely durable.

Zalto Universals creep me out. I feel like the stem is going to break off if I swirl too vigorously.

These look intriguing. Might be worth a shot as I will soon be in need of glasses. I’ve also looked at the Schott Pure glasses at Williams Sonoma, which are reasonably priced. We had Schotts in the past that eventually broke. I think it’s amazing when people say they’ve never broken x or y glass. At my house glasses break over time. While I’m seldom the culprit holiday seasons can be particularly tough on our glassware.

Does not look robust. The Stotzle Bordeaux’s I mentioned earlier at $5 apiece I think would serve you better for commercial use.

Gabriel glas machine stems aren’t what i’d consider chunky. I would second the opinion of others that say Gabriel glas. The machine stems are quite dainty compared to a lot of other stemware I’ve seen. Is it super ethereal, no, but it’s thin.

The Schott Pure glasses are clunky, the Forte is a much better option.

For $25 per set of 4 (on Amazon), the Nachtmann Vivendi bordeaux (and other useful varieties like the Pinot and White) are hard to beat in value. Excellent quality crystal, voluminous globe for aromatics, dw safe for practicality and great value so dont care if one breaks time to time.

Oops, sorry, missed the fact you were looking for thin stems.

This thread reminded me I need to reload myself . . . Williams Sonoma and Sur La Table both seem to be running sales on wine glasses - Riedel, SZ, and perhaps some others - ~20% off.

http://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=134749

Zalto Universal Glasses ($240–/six pack). It’s a great deal.

I actually just purched this set a few days ago. Seemed like a decent deal for everyday glasses.
https://www.gilt.com/look/?s_id=d6cf55fe4413de387d68f6cc677f085e34706b72ed397230fe0779fb7d398063_1480182326174_1132125978&size_id=1&origin=order_history

Saw these at Target this weekend . . . how do they compare to the Vinum series (other than about 1/2 price)?

1 Like

For value and overall versatility, I am a fan of The One wine glasses by MS Andrea Inmer Robinson. They are about $10 a glass or less. Wide bowl, tapered opening, relatively thin and lightweight. Pretty sturdy too. I use them 90% of the time.

We’ve been very happy with these. Nice wide bowl with good contour. Stems are pretty thin. Also, they aren’t too tall, so we can fit them in the upper rack of the dishwasher. Got them around Xmas with a discount and free shipping code, so you might search for that.

1 Like

i might be the only person who prefers the machine made gabriel glas to the gold. in a side by side, the machine made is remarkably thicker but in isolation I don’t think I’d notice. and I prefer a slightly heavier glass in the hand.

I’ll add a vote for the machine made GG.

I bought a 6-pack of the gold and love them, but haven’t found them as indestructible as others. In 12 months 3 were broken. All by other people (1 kid, 1 nanny, 1 babysitter)… mostly in the washing and/or dishwasher process.

I re-upped on the gold but also bought 6 of the machine made (with the great prices during berserker day). I find myself using the machine made all the time now and very rarely pulling out the golds.

To be clear, i prefer the golds, but I’m fairly convinced if you use them everyday you’ll get a periodic breakage. So far, the machine mades are holding up well to daily usage and washing.

Obviously, there are a lot of good-quality affordable glasses out there.
For me, a significant consideration is how easy it will be to replace them after I have broken a few and no longer have a matched set (and that will happen). This is where there is a real advantage to getting glasses by widely available manufacturers (Riedel, Schott, etc.) as opposed to flash sales and bargain stores.

Definitely keep an eye on TJ Maxx/Homegoods if there are locations near you. Also, if you can get someone to sell you the restaurant Riedels, they’re darned cheap. They’re really just Vinums with shorter stems for a LOT less money. They’re not supposed to be sold at retail, but someone might be able to get you a box or two.

1 Like

+1 on the Forte line. I use these when I have a party, and they are not too expensive to replace. I love my Zaltos but even when I open a bottle during the week I end up reaching for the SW.

JF

Looking at the standard GG as I need some nicer glasses in the house. I currently use the Crate and Barrel 19oz hip glass. Anyone know how the stem thickness on the machine GG compare to the hip? Some people say the machine GG is clunky, but I don’t think I’ve ever truly used something as thin as Zalto or GGG so not sure it would matter to me

Buy more when they’re cheap…