Best US Pinot for $30 or under

Drinking the 2017 Cameron Dundee Hill Pinot right now. Much better on day 2, and it is quite lovely with more Cameron funk than the previous 2 vintages.

Totally agree, and probably much more readily available than 75% of the wines recommended here.

I eventually got sick and tired of recommending this as California’s best value Pinot Noir available - but the amazing thing is - this wine still just gets better and better every year. The last few vintages have been lip smackingly good -

I get Banshee Pinot for $17 at local grocery…totally satisfies in that price point!

another +1 for Banshee. Awesome value and coincidentally the house pinot at a fairly prominent restaurant here in NNJ.

Any of the Beserker Cuvees would be my bet. PG’s, if you stocked up, which I did, or Ed’s wines, Sandler, which I find consistently strong at this price point.

I’m enjoying the 14 Maison L’Envoye “The Attache” Willamette Valley for 20 bucks at Costco. Solid value for an easy drinking Pinot.

[quoteI get Banshee Pinot for $17 at local grocery…totally satisfies in that price point!][/quote]They had a red blend and I never buy when they have people pouring at local shops as many are mediocre but that one I actually bought a bottle. Will have to seek out their Pinot.

“Best” is a silly word to use when talking about wine, but that’s a topic for another day. In any case, I’ll put in another vote for Sandler. They are typically on the fruit forward end of the spectrum, but are not over-the-top, which is a good choice for gatherings with both wine geeks and casual wine drinkers. Though, I just checked the website, and there are no appellation Pinots available (the single vineyard ones are more than $30).

Sandler has 2 nice Library 4-packs available on their website @$100/ea

2013 Bien Nacido Vineyard Pinot Noir
2013 Boer Vineyard Pinot Noir
2013 Peterson Vineyard Pinot Noir
2013 Connell Vineyard Syrah

Or

2016 Bien Nacido Vineyard Pinot Noir
2016 Boer Vineyard Pinot Noir
2016 Russian River Valley Pinot Noir Cuvée Marcy
2016 Santa Lucia Highlands Chardonnay

2017 Stangeland Pinot Noir Eola Hills Cuvee - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Eola - Amity Hills (10/31/2019)
Day 1: An old friend. Have not have a Stangeland in a while. WTSO deal. Very nice with soy, spice, violets, strawberries and minerals. Short to medium finish with good acidity. Solid wine for less than $20.
Day 2: A bit better with beef tips, earth, strawberries, spice and minerals. Very clean wine flavorful. This is young and needs time but the potential is there. 90 points
Day 3: Even better. Strawberry, violets, cherry, spice, minerals and cedar. Medium plus finish. The best day of the 3. 91 points
Recommendation: Buy this on WTSO. Stangeland is one of the most underrated Oregon Producers. (91 points)

2017 Argyle Pinot Noir Reserve - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (10/12/2019)
Day 1: First reviewer on this wine. Very light color. Floral, underbrush, strawberry, wood and dust. Very flavorful on the initial taste and then picks up some wood and underbrush character. Very much the style I enjoy. Solid but not as good as the 2016 yet. 91 points
Day 2: Elegant featuring wonderful perfume, floral, underbrush, strawberry, spice and wood. Picks up a nice dusty quality on the finish. On day 2 the finish is more concentrated and longer. This is a really nice wine that has improved on day 2. 92 points
Day 3: Picking up some game notes along with strawberry, spice, floral and underbrush. Medium plus finish and good acidity. This is a really well made wine. 92 points
Day 4: A rare day 4 for a wine of this caliber. Holding up strong with more of a underbrush, earthiness to it but fruit is still present. Would not recommend day 4 as it is not as good. 90 points
Recommendation: This is great right out of the gate. Should drink well through 2025. (92 points)

THE BEST ONE OF THE YEAR… $20 ON CLOSEOUT!
2012 J. Christopher Pinot Noir Lumière - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Eola - Amity Hills (5/21/2019)
Day 1: Drinking well out of the gate. Underbrush, raspberries, strawberries, floral and spice. Quite balanced and good acidity. Great food wine. This is singing now and we will see what it does over a few days. 92 points
Day 2: Not enjoying this as much on day 2. A lot of underbrush and the fruit is a bit mute. Recommend pop and pour and enjoy on day 1. Day 2 score would be around 87.
Day 3: Why you never give up on a wine. While not as intense this wine still features some really nice fruits and earth components. Finish is a little harsh but overall better than day 2 review. 90 points
Recommendation: Pop and pour and enjoy on day 1. (92 points)

I really enjoy the Evesham Wood, Longplay, and Belle Pente Pinots that are under $30.

I really need to grab some Longplay sometime. I see them every berserkerday, and put them on the short list. But there are just so many good offers, not everything worthy can make the cut. I mean, I’m supposed to be on the inventory reduction plan, right?

Todd Hansen is a class act. We always love tasting with him and spinning a few records while we are there. I can help with inventory reduction. What time should I show up? LOL

I’d add the Colleen Clemens Dopp Creek to the discussion. I bought the 2015 based on the 95 point Spectator rating, and have subsequently tried the 2016 and 2017 as well. For me, this is nowhere near a 95 point wine, but at about $25 it delivers a pretty decent QPR.

The Sea Slopes by Fort Ross was a steal at $17.99. I burned though a case of this too quickly.

2014 Sea Slopes Fort Ross Winery Pinot Noir - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (3/30/2019)
Day 1: Wow is this good! Cranberry, soy, spice, strawberry and cedar. Complex wine for under $20. One of my favorite wines over the last few years. Thanks WineStreet Spirits. 91 points
Day 2: This is a legend in the world of Pinot. Under $20 and now 92 points. Savory flavors. Cranberry, minerals, iron, spice and earth. Medium plus finish. Can’t believe how good this Pinot is! 92 points
Day 3: Best of the bottles. Deep and complex. Soy, underbrush, iron, minerals and cranberry. Nice earth notes on this wine. While not old world certainly not the hot, alcoholic mess that some California Pinots feature. 92+
Recommendation: Buy this especially at the $20 I paid. (92 points)

A little late to the thread, but it’s still the day before Thanksgiving. Here’s a great choice Tom; in fact, it’s below $20 and not yet specifically mentioned:

Au Bon Climat - Pinot Noir Santa Barbara County 2017

^ ^ ^ ^ looks like i got beat to the punch! ^ ^ ^ neener

The basic Au Bon Climat is generally $25 and is a good balance of thinker and drinker for the price as well.

Damn would have bought a case at $25.

The Patty Green specials here are the best chance. I have some Marine Sediment from PG that is incredible for the price and was $25 on berserker special.