Best North American sparklers?

We really like the Schramsberg BdNs - always a crowd pleaser whenever we open one.

Ultramarine, Under the Wire, and Lichen are my choices.

x2 on the Soter. Recently had a 2011 Soter Blanc de Blancs Mineral Springs Ranch and it was outstanding.

+1 on this. I find it from Trader Joe’s in my area for around $25 so it’s my go-to sparkler.

Lots of good suggestions here. My favorites have been in order, Schramsberg, Argyle, Roederer and Gloria Ferrer.

Can anyone provide commentary on Chandon’s wines?

I recall liking the Mumm DVX from Napa. It’d probably been 15 years since I had it, though.

Anyone had that in recent memory? It’s their luxury vintage sparkling wine from their USA operation.

I usually run counter to the Eurosnob view on wines, but while I’ve had good sparkling wines from the USA, I’ve never found price/quality/style combinations in USA sparkling wine that seem to compare to what you can get very easily from Champagne. I’m not saying they might not exist, but I’ve never really found anything that moved me enough to become a buyer.

I do think at the low price point, Domain Chandon and Mumm sparklers (particularly the rose ones) at $15 or whatever are a great buy. Good for non-wine type parties, brunches, picnics, etc.

Agree that the Finger Lakes Sparklers have gotten better and better. I’ve also liked the Ravines sparklers, and Red Tail Ridge makes on of my fav Pet Nats.

I seem to like it, too - this from November 2009, our first BerserkerFest at Napa Valley Wine & Cigar! (not just regular DVX, drinkin’ Santana Champs cuz it’s so crisp! If you don’t know where that line is from, see the vid below - WARNING, NSFW language)

Funny, just picked up a Mumm Brut Rose at Safeway for a Halloween party. I was thinking about getting a Roederer Estate L’Ermitage, but then I asked myself “why?”

Wrong question.

Should have been “Why not?”

Back in early 2010 I had a bottle of 1987 Argyle Blanc de Blanc Cuve Limited that was one of the best sparkling wines I’ve had from the US. It tasted so young and brilliant. It blew past a bottle of 1988 de Venoge Champagne Louis d’Or Millésime Brut like a Ferrari passing a pedestrian.

Because the L’Ermitage is much more expensive and most people at the party would probably prefer the Mumm?

Came here to mention L. Mawby. Great stuff. champagne.gif

I’ll second the L. Mawby recommendation. Also from Michigan I really liked the White Pine Winery Chardonnay Effervescence and the Karma Vista Vineyards Pinot Noir Peace, Love & Bubbles.

VM

For some interesting Canadian Content.

The sparkling wines of:
13th Street, Niagara, Ontario
Hinterland, Prince Edward County, Ontario
Benjamin Bridge, Nova Scotia

Thanks Chris, I’m in Toronto regularly, and will have to check these out.

I think the top wines from Schramsberg are probably the best, but I’m not a buyer at those prices. I can get really excellent Champagne for the same price that is better. The next tier for me is probably Roederer Estate L’Ermitage, although I do think some vintages of Westport Rivers Blanc de Blancs, grown and produced in Massachusetts, come very close for significantly less money ($30). Really, every vintage I’ve had is very good, but the 2001 might be better than anything I’ve had from Roederer Estate. I think Westport’s BdB is better than anything I’ve had from the Finger Lakes.

Schramsberg’s Rose is excellent, especially since they make close to 10,000 cases.

champagne.gif