Best neighborhood for Paris appartment location?

We’ve stayed literally around the corner on Rue Jacob for the past two Octobers and would go back again this October but the apartment was more than the two of us need (3 bedrooms, two baths, etc). I like the location because it is convenient to two Metro lines/stops, great bus lines, two grocery stores (Carrefour and Monoprix), etc.

Is it common for the rental agency to want a copy of your passport?

George

The agency that we use is located in the US and hasn’t ever asked me for it. If they did, I wouldn’t be bothered because every hotel in Europe requires passports on check-in. And most European countries want a passport now as a condition to obtaining a cell phone sim card.

It’ not unusual for rental agencies to ask. We’ve had it both ways.

By the way, great location.

Anybody been asked to purchase civil liability insurance? I am being asked that by the Paris office that manages the apartment I am looking at. It seems it is a combo of trip insurance and “property” insurance on the apartment. It is about 130 Euro.

George

Not me

Nor me. But I put up a $1500 security deposit and, because I prepay the entire month rental well in advance (50% when I sign the contract and 50% 90 days prior to occupancy), I purchase travel insurance for the rental cost. Costs a lot more than €130.

I am familiar with travel insurance and purchase it regularly. unless you are renting 10,000 Euro a week apartments or buying cancel for no reason insurance it should not cost that much. Check www.squaremouth.com for competitive quotes.
I just bought a policy for a Caribbean trip covering about $8k for $120 U.S
George

Personally, I love La Butte au Cailles in the 13th and am thinking of trying to rent an apartment there. Great, quiet neighborhood with many good bars and restaurants. Not super close to many touristy spots, but close to good transit. And I’m less into the tourist destinations at this point and enjoy seeing the real Paris.

https://www.google.com/search?q=La+Butte+aux+Cailles&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS546US546&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=oZ8OUv2TI5D82gX-2oCQBg&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1142&bih=694

We like Ile-St-Louis and also the 5th, near rue Moufetard.
BUT Ken is right, La Butte au Cailles is so quaint and not at all touristy. The main metro crossing at Italie is close at hand.

Love the 6th, but would be happy to stay anywhere in Paris as the metro works so well and it is a great city to explore on foot. For a change this year we stayed in Montmartre which was fun. We have used VRBO with good success and here is the link to our digs in Montmartre which is owned by an Australian couple Montmartre, Paris Vacation Rentals: house rentals & more | Vrbo

Cheers
Jeremy

Looks like we will be staying in the 17th in a nice 1st floor flat opening on to a private courtyard. I’ve always stayed closer in and on the left back, but we had good recommendations on this place. The price is very attractive, providing more money for food and drink.

My wife liked the Flipkey website.

wanted to bump this.

We want to be closer to the tourist spots, walk to bars/restaurants nearby and maybe a few local markets? Is St Germain the area to go to?

Still debating between apartments/hotel since it’s just the 2 of us.

We also have a single night stay before we go to Burgundy. Any recs for a hotel near things to see in a short walking distance? I was looking at the Westminster (work rate) that seems decent, but I really don’t know the areas.

Yes, the 6th around Saint-Germain des Pres. Look at the hotels on Rue Jacob: Hôtel des Deux Continents, Hôtel des Marronniers, and La Villa Saint Germain des Pres. There are others nearby, as well (Hotel de Buci, Relais Christine, Hotel d’Aubusson, Hotel Dauphine Saint-Germain, etc) depending on your budget. We’ve rented apartments in the area the past 5 years and will again this year after staying all over the City in hotels previously. Most of the better apartments do weekly or longer rentals. I prefer hotels for shorter stays, as the better hotels have decent concierges who can help with difficult restaurant reservations, museum tickets, etc.

perfect! e have four nights in paris after we’re back from burgundy. so will look in the area.

Fu - Where you staying in Burgundy?

George

For chain hotels (which I can get on points), I love the 1er, especially the area around Place Vendome.

No clue. Haven’t looked into it yet. Only have permission for one night from the boss.

Originally we planned two nights. Then she said she didn’t want to go at all. We negotiated for one night and here we are.

Long way to go for just one night. Not meaning to give marital advice, but if she really doesn’t want to go (this time), don’t do it.

Better to go one night than none at all.