Best neighborhood for Paris appartment location?

We stayed at an apartment in the 2nd, it was great location-wise and had a nice view of the Eiffel Tower. Was definitely a little smaller than it seemed in the photos but it suited our needs… was also a little bit loud from the unit next door, so it might be worth seeking out a place with limited shared walls (at least where the bedroom is).

We stayed in the Marais (3rd IIRC) right on Rue de Rosiers. Short walk from either St. Paul Metro or Hotel De Ville. Close but far enough away from the busy street. Fantastic area- less touristy and more local feel than some of the 5th/6th plus far cheaper as everyone wants to stay there.

I think the key is to be close enough in to the center, and in close walking distance to a metro stop.

Craig,
Is price a factor? If your current reservation on Rue Cler is a good buy, I wouldn’t change it for either of the two islands. Isle St. Louis is much quieter than as someone mentioned earlier. However, your current location is very central to a lot of activities. You are just a short walk from the Eiffel Tower, Mur de Paix, Trocadero, Les Invalides (Napoleon’s Tomb), Galaries National, Petit Palace, Musee de l’Armee, Musee d’Orsay, and right across the water from d’Orsay are the Tuileries and Louvre. I’m not sure how much more “central” you could be. When I lived in Paris, I studied on Rue Cler. At that time, and probably still today, they have a pretty lively weekend market.

Long time no see. I hope the family is well.

Hey Chris, nice to hear from you! BTW, Siggy is in Paris right now. I think in a perfect world I’d like to divide up my stay with 3 nites in a Rue Cler hotel I currently have booked for all six nites and 3 nights in an apartment in another neighborhood just for variety. We stayed near Rue Cler last time in '08 and love the area so hate to give it up completely. Nita would enjoy shopping a market and cooking a couple nights. So far not much luck getting my way as most of the appartments are for 7 nites. So, yes we may just spend all six nights in Rue Cler. Or, I might do 3 nights in a hotel near one of the other market streets too. Can’t wait! Hope you’re enjoying NYC! We’ll probably be out there next summer.

For our upcoming trip, booked a top floor apartment in the Marais/3rd. Used VRBO, and echo the significant variation across apts, so would focus on apt quality rather than a specific arrondissement. Assuming you want a mix of restaurants/museums think any of the central arrondissements with good metro access should work.

Have any of you gone to the Moulin Rouge? Would you recommend going or is it just too overpriced?

I went there many moons ago back when I was still in high school. My much older brother and I took a trip then and he wanted to go and didn’t want to leave me in the hotel. Coolest show I’ve seen then with visuals that got imprinted in the memory bank. I wouldn’t watch it now, though, unless somebody insists on paying for me.

For our purposes, distance to transit is the key. I get out the Metro and bus maps and look for lines that go where I’ll be going. Ligne 4 goes to Notre Dame as well as connecting with RER A,B,C, and D. Ligne 1 runs cross to Ligne 4, along the Seine from Bastille to the Louvre to the Arc de Triomphe. The two “super” metro stops are Montparnasse-Bienvenue in the 15th and Chatelet in the 1st, which will get you pretty much anywhere in the city with at most one transfer. Merely having a close metro stop doesn’t help much if it’s one like Ligne 11 that don’t go very far.

The 1st is centrally located from a tourist perspective, but is not as lively a neighborhood (according to Wikipedia, its population peaked before 1861, no doubt due to tourists such as ourselves.) The 15th is less elegant, but you get the feeling of Paris as a true living city. People are leaving their apartments, going to their jobs, etc. It’s also considerably cheaper, and there are more modern buildings that are likely to have amenities like elevators, if climbing flights of stairs isn’t your thing.

Walt

Thanks Walter, I may still change our plans but its looking like we’ll camp out very near Rue Cler on avenue Duquesne. How do like that for moving about on the metro to the 1st,2nd,3rd,4th,5th, 6th and one day up at Monmartre?

Craig, from where you’re staying you’ll be close to either the Ecole Militaire or La Tour Maubourg Metro stops. Both are on the 7 line, and if you take it you can go to Concorde and switch to the 1 which will take you to the Marais and the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th arrondissements. For 5-6th, you can either walk (very nice and quick walk) or take the 7 and switch at Invalides on the RER, getting off at St Michel Notre Dame.

Long story short, from where you are, most of Paris is easily accessible, either on foot or by Metro. And don’t discount the Velibs, the point-to-point bike rentals, they’re fun (I’ve done them numerous times). Just don’t BWI, while fun it can get a little disorienting…

I have found an apartment I like for next summer. I would love some comments on its location by all the experts here. It is located near the Champs-Elysee and the Arc Du Triomphe on Avenue Houche near Rue Beaujon. It is a 2 bedroom on the 6th floor with a great balcony with views of the Arc.

Thanks,

George

Excellent location, near the Etoile Metro stop which gives you access to most of the city by Metro. You’re close to the Rue Poncelet market, with one of the best cheese shops in Paris: Alleosse. I prefer staying around there as it’s quiet, and I always feel like a Parisian without the hussle and bustle of downtown. I can hop on a subway or walk anywhere easily, and not wade through throngs of tourists.

George,
While I am loathe to disagree with Michel when it comes to staying in Paris, this time I have a somewhat different take. My former law firm’s Paris office is on Avenue Hoche and I’ve stayed in that vicinity many times, but we found that it was out of the way from the parts of Paris that we like to spend our days and it became inconvenient to return to during the day (to drop off something, have a rest, lunch, etc). We found that we would leave in the morning, come back in the evening to shower, then go to dinner in another part of the City, using the place only to sleep. The restaurant choices within walking distance are limited. We resisted moving for years, because we loved the apt and hotels in which we stayed (first the Vernet/Royal Monceau, then the Balzac after management moved over there). For the past 3 (soon to be 4) Octobers we’ve rented in the 6th (twice in Saint-Germain, once each on the border with the 5th and 7th) and find it better located for our purposes. I do not find the Etoile and its spoke boulevard areas to be very neighborhoody. The closest Metro to the apartment that you are considering is the 2, which means that you will have to change at least once to get most places. Personally, I avoid boarding/changing at CDG-Etoile Metro whenever possible because it is a long, crowded walk to the 1 or 6. I suggest that you check out the bus routes; most of the time for short-medium distance travel, busses are as fast/faster than taking the Metro and I prefer being above ground. I don’t recall the busses that serve that area.

How long are you renting? For a short period that location should be fine. For a longer one, I prefer to be on the left bank.

Thanks for the comments. We will be in Paris for 5 nights. Looking at the 6th also

George

Just saw this thread. I also prefer the 6th. The last couple of visits we rented an apartment near the Odeon Metro stop. Loved the location. Walking distance to many good restaurants, bistros, and cafes. Also a close walk to Luxembourg Gardens.

Mark and Joe make good points. I stay in Paris for a few days after running around Europe to decompress, see friends and family, not to visit the city. If you are there as a tourist, they’re right about where to stay.

I’ve always found the Trocadero neighborhood nice, quiet, and close to everything.

I’m not too fond of the 6th that’s too close to the Odeon metro, or pretty much anywhere in the 5th. It’s just too busy, with mostly tourists, for my taste and for the kind of Paris stay that I like. I like the quiet, mostly locals neighborhood. Other than a couple of bottles of wines and some food items which I can buy near our rented apartments are, I don’t shop much . My wife does shop a lot and she get’s around on her own when shopping is concerned and so lugging things back does not present any issue for me. My wife also prefers the quiet locals-only neighborhoods. Even if I end up buying multiple of bottles, e.g. to take home to the States, I request for delivery to my apartment or hotel.

I like taking the metro or the cabs to get around. Just like New York City, where I live, everything and everywhere in Paris can be reached by metro, bus or by cab.

We’re renting an appartment at 49 avenue de la bourdonnais in the 7th about a block or 2 from Eiffel.

Now looking at a beautiful 2 bedroom on the top floor with a private roof top deck right in the middle of the block on rue de l’échaudé in the 6th.

George