Best current book for a new burg drinker?

I opened a grand cru burg for a friend. He is interested in going down the rabbit hole.

My favorite burgundy reference book is Jasper Morris’s Inside Burgundy.

Is there a better book for a new burgundy learner? Maybe shorter/less overwhelming or more recent?

TIA

I’m fairly new to Burgundy and I’ve found just diving into Inside Burgundy and lurking in the Burgundy threads here to be extremely helpful. It’s not a book I’ve read cover to cover, but I’ve probably covered about 30% of the meat of the book so far in my exploration.

3 Likes

This one is a recent publication & is available on Kindle. The author is a MW & has written for World of Fine Wine.

The Complete Burgundy (Guides to Wines and Top Vineyards) Amazon.com

I like Bill N’s book but it is not as recent

1 Like

InsideBurgundy.com website is a great resource as well. Unlike Burghound, you get everything for one subscription price. Does a great job of looking at vinification of almost every major producer. Exhaustive vintage surveys, regularly updated

3 Likes

I used Inside Burgundy as my first burg text. It’s a beast as you know, but I feel like if the reader understands that getting your arms around that book is a years long pursuit then it’s a singular work to take your first burg steps with. The beginning portion that covers history and production before getting into the vineyards and producers is a great resource and I don’t think it requires many prerequisites.

But if I had to pick one that is a little less intimidating I might choose The Sommelier’s Atlas of Taste. Not burgundy specific, but the burgundy rundown is considerably more bite-sized while still being informative I think.

1 Like

While none are comprehensive on their own, I have greatly enjoyed these three:

https://www.amazon.com/clp/1614288089

https://www.amazon.com/Great-Domaines-Burgundy-Finest-Producers/dp/1402778821

https://www.amazon.com/Grand-Crus-Burgundy-Norman-Remington/dp/1856269205

The top one, the 100 Burgundy is gorgeous book and a joy to read.

1 Like

It’s not current, it’s not even close to being all about Burgundy, but any Burgundy drinker should read. Adventures on the Wine Route by Kermit Lynch. It’s a very personal in depth look at the wines and winemakers who he thinks are worthwhile, and the Burgundy section in particular, was awakening for me.

.I cannot recommend it highly enough; and there are plenty people on this board who have learned a good deal from Kermit’s writing.

Jasper’s book is excellent, and I think the two together would be an excellent pair to learn about Burgundy.