Best Cheap Wineglass Recommendation

Grassl Versatile from CJF selections. If you can wait til berserker day, they usually have discounts for berserkers.

I have become so enamored with Grassl and Glasvin that they are my cheapest! We even have them at our second home/condo and travel with them often. The glass matters!

Really depends on what is meant by “inexpensive,“ but if you can get someone to sell you the Riedel Restaurant, those are great for the money.

1 Like

Looks like these might be thinner than most C&B glasses? Some of their designs have been nice, but the glass has usually been pretty thick.

There was an extensive thread about these a long while back.

Completely agree about the Forte line. I don’t like those square bottom ones either, although that type of design seems to be all the rage.

I got a bunch of them when Crate and Barrel stopped carrying the line.

I use the SZ Pure Sauv Blanc glasses in my tasting room - and highly recommend them to anyone . . .

I keep a half dozen glasses around for what I’m having. Most are good value and I like

Nachtmann’s very tall Bordeaux glasses - sometimes Costco has them $20/8 pack
Spiegelau Burgundy - $20 World Market per 6 pack
same for Bordeaux, but I like these less for the grape
Riedel Tyrolias, especially the smaller ones
Schott Zwiezels - big Bordeaux ones, when I’m sure I have room in the dishwasher

I also have ancient clunky thick non crystal C&B bordeaux goblets, which I still use/love, especially when I’m in a situation where breakage is more likely i.e. out by the pool or something. Yet amazingly despite the most usage over 14 years, both glasses have survived.

It’s probably best to just accept that if one likes wines, and hosting parties, glasses are going to be broken, so just buy a new 4/6 pack whenever one observes a good sale. It’s ok if they don’t match your existing ones too, that only makes it easier for doing tasting dinners at ones house :slight_smile:

At like $10 a stem, these seem like a reasonable option.
Schott Zwiesel Tritan Crystal Pure Stemware Collection Wine Glass, Set of 6, Clear Amazon.com

You all do realize that wine doesn’t taste as good when drank from cheap wineglasses, right?
[snort.gif]

1 Like

+1 on the pure line

This may just be my type-A neurosis, but I like to know that when they break (which will happen inevitably), I can get replacements. So, I tend to buy glasses that are an established line from an established brand, not off-brand or hard-to-get or whatever.

I needed 30+ for a tasting and discovered “Our Table™ All-Purpose Wine Glasses” at Bed Bath & Beyond: https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/our-table-all-purpose-wine-glasses-set-of-12/5562098
The glass is not very thin- but they don’t feel overtly cheap - i.e. no seam, and not completely chunky. Hard to beat less than $2/glass if you need any quantity…

Go for Zalto, drinking out of cheep glasses isn’t a good idea. Zaltos don’t break in the dishwasher.

OH, you said cheap wine glasses!

+1
I have some high end Riedel glassware but use the SZ Pures all the time.

I use the red wine glasses on the right- 7 bucks a piece…cant beat em

I’d go to second hand stores and buy awesome cut glass like everyone used to use.

I guess I found someone to sell me the Riedel “overture” restaurant series glasses, as our local specialty wine guy has them in his store. The red wine “Magnum” size is what I got, $99 for 12, also has white wine glasses at that price. The box says “Riedel Restaurant lines are exlusively for On-Premise and not available for Retail Sales” so maybe not supposed to be sold to consumers? Our local guy advertises them as “Famous Maker” wine glasses, perhaps to get around that restriction. They are less delicate than the Riedel Oregon Pinot Noir glasses I have which must be from the consumer series and the box says they are dishwasher safe. Haven’t broken one yet, but I just got them at Christmas, so give me time champagne.gif [cheers.gif]

Just got back from Austria where they were selling Gabriel Glas (not the Gold) for 10 euro each. Carried back a box of 6.