Best Calif Cab at $49.95...

2015 Ramey Napa Valley is currently at Northern California Costco’s for under $50. Ridge Estate, Frog’s Leap, Heitz, Smith-Madrone, Freemark Abbey, Keenan --there are quite a few at that price point that would be in the mix.

Ed

someone opened the 2007 Frog’s Leap this past weekend in Boston - it came across as precisely what you’ve outlined. Really spoke of its place; loads of Rutherford dust. For any that might be holding some, I’d be drinking these 07s sooner than later. Zero sweetness factor, fwiw.

Another that comes to mind is Caterwaul. It is $50 list, a TRB wine and a blend from across Napa, it is a packed cab that reflects modern winemaking, but still true to the variety and to me, not over the top. Again, being a blend, cannot say that it speaks terroir.

And one more- Robert Craig Affinity, SV (mostly if not all), mountain fruit.

Ya might not be the perfect style the OP was asking for, but it does have a lot of asian spice character to it.

Another vote for Smith-Madrone.

Has anybody mentioned Frog’s Leap [cheers.gif] [snort.gif] ?

And three more.

Domaine Eden.
Mount Veeder.
Santa Cruz Mountain Vineyards (can be found for ~$50).

Dan Kravitz

Just posted, then checked my e-mail, Last Bottle has 2014 Sbragia Mt. Veeder ‘Godspeed’ up for $45. Sounds good to me.

Dan Kravitz

+1 on Domaine Eden. It has plenty of minerality but maybe not graphite flavor.

Think Frog’s Leap could do well - but I really think you’d want to drink these 6-8 years out so they can fill out. We visited last fall, and while they were the excellent across the board, I think they could come across as a bit too austere if you’re drinking them right at release. If you’re drinking them shortly after release, I’d give the White Rock Vineyards Claret a try. These should be a bit more open at 50%ish Cabernet, and the rest Merlot, Cab Franc and Petit Verdot.

Forgot to add too… they’re doing a summer sale too. Use the code Summer25 to save 25% when you buy 3 or more bottles. www.whiterockvineyards.com That would put their Cabernet Sauvignon in your $50 price range too. WRV is right behind one of Shafer’s Ridgeback/SchoolBus Vineyards. The 2015 WRV Laureate was one of the best wines we tasted through our last trip.

I would vote for Smith Madrone, but apparently I need to go buy some Frog’s Leap to give it a try.

DICO is restrained old school Napa cab but it also needs time; I wouldn’t drink any of those wines for awhile.

Picked up a couple 2017 Frog’s Leap to try…little over budget at $49.99! [wow.gif]

1 Like

Agreed on the DICO. Had the ‘16 DICO three times in 2020, here is my first note, consistent across all three bottles:

PNP. Lots of funk on opening. Opened up after one hour in the decanter. Delicate nose leading to more intense flavors on the palate. Cassis, blackberry and dark plum. Black cherry. Notes of Mocha and oak and a leathery element. Grippy tannins, nice acidity to provide balance. Great classic style cab. Drink with decant or hold, this is only going to get better.

1 Like

One born every day… [wink.gif] champagne.gif

Provenance used to be one of my “go-to” napa cabs in the $50’ish range. It’s been a few years since I bought a bottle, so I figured I’d check Todays prices. Holyshit… They sure have gotten quite proud of their juice. Needless to say, not fifty bucks anymore. I then thought of Fieldstone, out in Alexander Valley. I used to get wine from them all the time… great value. Well crap, looks like the fire took them out and their website is dead. What a shame. Great people, fun place to visit.

I used to joke that you have to spend 50 bucks to get a good Napa cab, knowing you could if you look hard, but now that’s not really a joke and a realistic statement.

I tried Frog’s Leap last fall, I think I picked up the '14 vintage. I didn’t find it appealing at all. Maybe I’m not old school Napa

1 Like

I had a 2016 DiCo and a 2015 Frogs Leap within a few months of each other. We preferred the DiCo, much more complexity and a way better finish.

Enjoy the 2017 Frogs Leap. Come back and share your thoughts.

I don’t know…this 16 Ch Chasse Spleen I’m drinkin is SO nice @$41?

1 Like

That, sir, is an excellent wine. Much better choice. :slight_smile:

And you should be able to find it for much less. I bought lots of this.

1 Like

I need to try this wine, looks like it ranges around $65 per bottle