Best Brunellos

shhh, dreadful stuff

Biondi santi riserva 1975/soldera 1999
Pietroso/baricci/il pino
Pian dellā€™ orino bassolino 2012

1 Like

le potazzine gorelli
donatella

I agree with you on Altesino. I do like Casanova (granted, Iā€™ve only had them with a decent amount of age), but Altesino is a little too modern for me.

1 Like

Uccelliera Riserva '10

these are not the droids youā€™re looking for

CdN Tenuta Novaā€“the 2006 is an amazing wine
Fuligni
Livio Sassetti Pertimaliā€“especally the 2010
Valdicava

Lots of great names and Iā€™ll throw a few my favorites on the pile

Campogiovanni
La Fortuna
Biondi-Santi
San Filippo Le Lucere
MastroJanni
La Serena
Constanti
Il Poggione
Valdicava Riserva Madonna del Piano
Altesino Montosoli
La Fiorita particularly enjoyable as I got to drink through the line-up with the proprietor [wow.gif]

I checked in on my 10ā€™s and still very early on most. 06ā€™s still hard as nails while 04ā€™s are starting to drink very nicely.

Ive had a bunch of older BdM but favorite still was a 99 Madonna a couple years back. I also learned not to decant brunello as it is too much air, too quickly for it. Best to open a couple hours in advance, pour off a few ounces so its down to the shoulders and slow ox.

Wines are already pricey [rofl.gif]

Hope you are doing well!

1988 Biondi Santi is a spectacular wine. 1988 was a great vintage for Montalcino. I tasted recently the 1988 Biondi Santi normale together with La Casa (MontĆ²soli) from Caparzo and Ciacci Vigna Pianrosso (also in the tasting were 1988 Percarlo and I Sodi di San niccolĆ² from Castellare).

The Biondi Santi was head and shoulders above the other wines. It was the only wine that seemed to have the potential to improve with further ageing. Unfortunately it was my last bottle.

1991 and 1999 Soldera Case Basse, 1988 Biondi Santi
Baricci, Canalicchio (Franco Pacenti)
2010 Piancornello
Honorable mentions of Lisini and Talenti near Santā€˜Angelo in Colle, Sesti/Castello di Argiano in the South West, Mastrojanni and Uccelliera/Andrea Cortonesi in Castelnuovo dellā€˜Abate, all worth a try

If you drink a Brunello younger than 10 years of age you might as well choose a good Rosso di Montalcino, but thatā€˜s just me. On the other hand, I have seen very few Brunelli improve after 20 years+.

Wow, those are all pretty divergent wines, but I guess thatā€™s one of the great things about Brunello!

Yep agreed. I enjoy the different styles with some producers rising to the top for me. Granted, have only had 2 of my BS bottles since the rest are '10 and '12 and are sleeping

Or a top notch Chianti Classico Riserva - most Rossoā€™s donā€™t see oak (or see very little), so itā€™s a much different flavor profile.

Thank you for the tips everyone. Some good insight. Hoping to stock up a bit on the 15s and 16s!

Thanks Rory. I took your advice and picked up a few 2013s on sale. 5x Col dā€™Orcia at $45 cdn, 2x Agostino Pieri and 2x Caparzo.

Still trying to figure out the sangio chameleon. I swear, this grape has led me down divergent paths that have reached to no conclusions, or ones different from what they were. Frustrating grape!

I havenā€™t had (any) of the top priced wines, so have no idea how they perform, but have had good ones from Costanti, Ciacci, Lisini, Fuligni, Baricci, Chiuse, and others. Overall the winemaking here is high, but it may be difficult to know what you are getting in bottle without first tasting or having an understanding of their style.

As for aging, well they already have 5 years under their belt when released, so I would add 7-10 years to that depending on what the vintage was like. For instance I wouldnā€™t touch an 06 now, but the 08ā€™s/07ā€™s/09ā€™s can be quite nice.

1 Like

This, along with Il Poggione, are probably my two favourite Brunello bottlings in terms of consistency of style and quality, and considering price. I buy both in most decent (or better) vintages. There are others that are close (Lisini, Costanti, Ciacci Piccolomini, and on the more modern side, Uccelliera). When something as consistently delicious as Sassetti is available for $50-$60, I have no interest in chasing some of these $90-$150 Brunellos that are not objectively any ā€œbetterā€ā€¦