Best Brunellos

I’d highly encourage you to re-explore the region a bit as a lot has changed since 08. The tendency to over oak, extract and generally ‘spoof’ Brunello throughout the 90s and 00s culminated in the Brunellogate/Brunellopoli scandal, and I feel starting in 2010, and even more so 2013, the region has really shown a return to more traditional styles. Obviously lots of exceptions still, but that’s been my overall impression.

I really like Fuligni, Il Poggione, and Uccelliera.

One riserva I have have really enjoyed is Ciacci Piccolomini d’Aragona‘s Brunello di Montalcino Riserva “Santa Caterina D’Oro” Vigna di Pianrosso. Long name, I know, but the few bottles I’ve had have been excellent.

+1 on the above. Their 2010 regular bottling is still the best BdM that I’ve ever had (with four hours in the decanter)…

I’ve experienced a bit too much bottle variation with Sassetti. When it is on though I agree it is fantastic

If you Can find Colleoni brunello try it. The
Price is abort 75$ and it’s very close to be
as good Salvioni, Poggio DI Sotto and the
likes. A traditional producer. [cheers.gif]

Like others, fairly inexperienced in this area.

Best bottles: 2004 Fattorio di Sotto, 2001 Tenuta Greppo (Biondi-Santi) non-Riserva, 1999 Ciacci Piccolomini Pianrosso.
QPR: I suppose 2004 Le Gode
Best recent bottle: 2013 Pietroso sampled a year ago. Probably needs another 8-10 years.

Cheers,
Doug

+2 on piccolimini. We also have a fondness for MastroJanni.

That’s cool. I like your palate. I have two 2012s lying down. CT drinking window starts in 2022. How long do you usually hold them.?

+1, although I don’t haven’t had to drink 150+ BdM’s to get to that decision…

Very QPR: Armilla
A QPR if you pay < $50, otherwise not a QPR but still recommended: La Gerla, Pecci Celestino
Excellent between $50 and $100: San Polino Helichrysum

Lonnie, you know me, I like them on the young side. I’ve been opening up some 2010’s and am enjoying them. A little early I suppose.

My best was a 1988 Biondi Santi (I think it was the normale but might have been the riserva).

I’ve had a number of great Solderas and some very, very good Ciaccis. After reading some of Tim H’s notes I would very much like to try Salvioni but have hesitated over the pricing.

I’ve had both 06 Poggione and Poggione riserva fairly recently. Much more wood on the riserva so not ready I guess and to my palate, the jury is still out on whether it’s worth the extra bucks… I think you can find nice brunellos under $50 and I’m not sure it’s a wine I want to get into paying 3 figures.

Above the top: Soldera

The top: Biondi-Santi; Cerbaiola; Cerbaiona and Poggio di Sotto

Just behind: Altesino; Canalicchio di Sopra; Casanova di Neri; Conti-Costanti; Eredi Fuligni; Il Maronetto; Le Chiuse; Le Potazzine; Valdicava

Price-quality: Col d’ Orcia; Il Poggione

Disclaimer: I import/ buy and sell some of the above…

My favorite is Pian dell’Orino Brunello followed closely by Sassetti.

Valdicava, La Gerla, and Biondi-Santi are some of my favorites

Value: Caparzo / Col d’orcia

+2 on Piccolomini. Had the '15 Pianrosso a few weeks ago and it was already showing very well. Their Rosso is one of my favorites as well.

Others I really like on the more elegant side that haven’t been mentioned are:

Lisini
La Ragnaie

Best - Soldera

QPR - Il Poggione, Fuligni

Honorable mention - Val di Suga Poggio al Granchio

Note that all of the above are really good. The qualitative difference is much smaller than if I were to do this list with a sub-region of Bordeaux or Burgundy.

No mentions on Stella di Campalto???

Which 2015 Brunello is for you? – ItalianWine.blog This might be of some help for you with respect to new releases. My own personal favorites/cellar selections are made pretty clear, but even they’re not ‘the best’.

At the cost of alienating myself - even further - from this board, or even producers, I’d offer that every year I taste Altesino, or Caparzo, for example (there are many examples listed here already), is just another year I’m hoping for more; a let down of one degree or another most years. Certainly, Montosoli fruit is an exception. Each year I walk away feeling like Altesino is the Pio Cesare of Montalcino - there’s so much room for improvement. SMH.

Each of us has our favorites, many of them guided by what we can afford, and/or are available to us; some of these recommendations are based on highly memorable, i.e. rare, experiences, e.g. a well aged Biondi Santi. Regarding Biondi Santi, I feel you would be rather unhappy with an experience with anything that’s been released in the past 10 years or so - I know I am/would be - they’re just not ready. And, they’re horribly over-priced, hence the attraction of their newest owner.

Regarding “Best”, yeah, forget that. Fool’s errand.

I’ll add that Soldera, which if you’d tasted some examples still might not be ‘your’ definition of best (guessing Valdicava, Casanova de Neri Cerretalto, or similar) is truly quite special, but since it’s probably not within reach, just ignore these recommendations.

Tasting without labels, points, or reviews really helps to get in touch with what one, i.e. you, likes. Still, others prefer to be told what’s the best, and they purchase accordingly. Ok, most prefer it.

Decide what you can afford. Be honest with yourself regarding what ‘style’ you prefer. Then, find others whose palate align with yours and who also have more experience with those wines. Then buy dozens of examples. Deduce. Got to get skin in the game.

Also, be willing to accept that Sangiovese, in limited instances, maynot be at its ‘best’ until age 40. Finally, after you’ve dug deep (in this region or any other you’re interested in) when/if if you happen to find ‘your’ best, to hell with all the other suggestions to the contrary.

Regarding ‘best’
, this may or may not provide some guidance.

FWIW, I regularly spend 1-2 months a year in Montalcino - for wine/visits/fairs, not for tourism - and pretty much taste all the wines as they are released. It’s also the largest part of my own cellar, behind Nebbiolo/Langhe (700+), with about 390 bottles (1997 - 2015). And, after 20 such years, I’m figuring some stuff out. And that feels good.