Best Bourgogne Rouge?

Rare as hen’s teeth, but yes, Clavelier makes a straight bourgogne…
You are more of a gentleman than I, Martin.
Truly ignorant complainers suck in my book.
:stuck_out_tongue:

Have also had good luck with Gouges.

Hubert Lignier at the higher end though I am seeing some available for $30 which is a solid buy.

Bichot… [cheers.gif] - best QPR.

Jean Marie Fourrier 100%.

Bruno Clair’s range of Marsannay in 2015 is of very high quality and are priced very reasonably.

I go with these…
Hubert Lignier
Chevillon
Hudelot Noellat
some occasional Leroy & A.et P. de Villaine
I even more so rely on these terrific Beaujolais masters … Thivin, Chanrion, Dupeuble, Metras and Coudert for maximum value. Blind they’re hard to tell from Burgundy.

What I look for in great (I like that inclusive word better than “best”) Bourgogne wine, both white and red, is qualitatively the same thing that I look for in great villages 1er/grand cru etc: clarity of distinct parcellary expression meets deliciousness, shaped by the character of the growing season. I most often find that combo among top conscientious producers with well located single Bourgogne level (aka régionale) vineyards. These wines are, to me, some of the best buys in all of Burgundy when they can capture the archetypal essence of their village/parcel, vintage, and house. Every year is different, and as mentioned by a few here, every year offers its different charms/strengths/weaknesses.
I enjoy that every producer, no matter how prestigious, can/will only charge so much for their Bourgogne. There’s something nice about that, beyond the bucks…
I’ve edited my little list above to detail what village/parcel the wines are from.
Long live Bourgogne rouge…

It’s just a colloquialism. I have probably 20 of “The best movies I’ve ever seen, best songs I’ve ever heard, and the best books I’ve ever read.” Same for wine, or in this case Borgogne. I personally like the Bachelet, Fourrier, and Leroy can be exceptional. I cannot believe I haven’t tried MG, as they are some of my favorite wines barred none. Many more I need to try.

Interestingly, I get plenty of great offers on many of the producers that are mentioned here, but I don’t see a Borgogne offered that often. Wonder why?

+1 on Guillemot.

I’ve been impressed with Digioia-Royer at this level. I tried the 2014 Bourgogne and the 2010 Hautes Cotes de Nuits, and I liked both. Note that these are tough structured wines - both better a few days (or more) after being opened.

Interesting…the more I think about it, I prefer to buy wines like Faiveleys Mercureys 1ers and Celine et Vincent Durieul’s Rullys at similar price to most Bourgognes. These wines seem to deliver more than teh Bourgognes in my experience.
Martin Steinley’s excellent thread on 'Off the beaten path Burgundies" has a wealth of value plays.

Dureuil makes not Givry.
methinks you mean Rully.

That’s what I meant to say…thanks

I fully agree, Kent. When pressed, I have to think hard to identify Bourgogne rouge I am inspired to drink (and I did so for this thread), whereas one could write a long list of wine along the lines of those you mention.

I find it interesting to drink some of the Bourgogne of producers that I like, for example Bertheau and Gerard Mugneret. I’m not sure I would seek out a whole bunch of other wines like that.

The best Bourgogne I remember drinking was Marquis D’Angerville. That was the real deal.

How reliable of a stylstic indicator is a producer’s basic bourgogne?

Great question and, in my experience, the answer is very good.

I love Marsannay at this price point. I go for vineyard designates (lieu-dits) from Roty and Bruno Clair. Also very good is Domaine Bart.

It is not a easy question.

Each producer should normally make all his wines in his own personal style; but each producer crafts his difference wines difference - for example Domaine Charles Audoin crafts some of his wines with 100% stem and some of not. That being said all his wines should carry his own personal style including his basic Bourgogne; otherwise he will not be one of my many preferred producers. [wow.gif]

If Charles Audoin’s basic Bourgogne is made with different juices from his different holdings in Marsannay, in theory, it should also carry the somewhereness of Marsannay… flirtysmile