Best Bourgogne Rouge?

Not going to induct I want the best wine, but don’t want to pay for it into the club?

I was happy with my purchases of 2014 Bertheau Bourgogne ($25) and Méo-Camuzet Bourgogne ($30).

Oh, sure. As long as I get to be the chairperson of that one.

Also, at the same time, we’d have to induct “I want this wine no matter what it costs so go ahead, fleece me (and thereby help drive up prices for every other sucker too)”.

Yup, best not to take the bait of Ridge Cabernet or no good Bourgogne rouge under $40. Both stem from ignorance (not in a derogatory sense), I believe.

Steve makes a good point and, John, I understand what you are looking for. Here are some ideas off the top of my head not yet mentioned:

Jean Chauvenet (Nuits-St.-Georges) - a richly-colored, meaty style; about $25 (Chevillon is good but now about $40)
Henri Gouges (Nuits-St.-Georges) - more lightly-colored and savory; about $30
Pierre Guillemot (Savigny-Les-Beaune) - light color and body, but quite perfumed and complex; about $20
Henri Prudhon Charmeaux (St.-Aubin) - like Guillemot, but even lighter color and body; under $20
Charles van Canneyt (Vosne-Romanee) - Hautes Cotes de Beaune fruit and like a villages-level Chambolle; about $25
Regis Forey (Vosne-Romanee) - rich, structured wine; about $30
Joseph Voillot (Volnay) - a bit rustic, but good fruit density and structure; some Beaune 1er cru in this; about $30

All true Martin. Lots of good wine out there at reasonable prices.

If price were not object I would be drinking their Clos Vougeot. But, all their wines are great.

For a Bourgogne Rouge still priced like a Bourgogne Rouge, I would try Hudelot-Noellat. However, I would caution of the OP not to listen to me too much because I tend to not really be as much a fan of ripe forward years like 2009 (with exceptions of course) and tend to like vintages with excellent structure like 2010 a whole lot more.

I’ve not tried several of these, so appreciate the list. Especially appreciate your brief profile of the style – the Chauvenet sounds delicious.

I took delivery of a 2013 van Canneyt last week – figured I liked the Hudelot-Noellat so well, I should give this a whirl too. I think I’ll move it up in my drinking queue in case I want to get more…

Bertheau is a personal favorite, although I think 2015 is the last year he is making it, if I understand correctly. Fourier makes a nice one that was introduced a couple years ago, although I don’t recall whether he’s making it or buying must. Guillemot is terrific, as is Charles Van Caneyt’s, both are light and beautiful, like Bertheau’s.

I just threw 2009 in there as a ripe year–I didn’t actually buy any, as I have the same reaction to ripe forward years that don’t have a little complexity to back it up as you do (hopefully, 2015 will not be one of those.) Actually, (this will get me all kinds of sh*t on the other burg thread going right now), but my favorite bourgognes were from the 1990 vintage. 1985 comes close as well.

I bought this but haven’t received it yet. Bummed it’s the last vintage.

Not yet mentioned:
Bize Perrieres- some whole cluster, savigny les beaune, single parcel, steep, stony.
Michel Noellat - destemmed, single parcel les Croix Blanches, Vosne Romanée, Vosnean violets, spice, fruit sappiness.
Charles Audoin - destemmed, essentially villages level Marsannay declassified to Bourgogne. Some of the moderate density and savory character of Marsannay…
Maxime Cheurlin Hautes Cotes de Nuits - gotta look at my notes…
Maume - destemmed, Gevrey Chambertin, single parcel Vigne Blanche, quite complete between fruit purity, mineral complexity. Love this.
Ch de la Maltroye- destemmed, 3 vineyards in Chassagne Montrachet, this is a glu glu delight in '15.
Nico Rossignol Heritiere - From a 100 year old single vineyard in Pommard les Crenilles. Crizazzy good historically (and destemmed), I didn’t taste it in '15, but his other '15s are fantastic…
Thomas Bouley Hautes Cotes de Beaune - From a single vineyard that sits above the Volnay village limit (I don’t have the name handy), destemmed. This has a good chewy sense of stony material and and almost bone broth depth of savory.
Etienne Julien Cotes de Nuits - From several parcels in Comblanchien, destemmed, qualitatively a silly good and satisfying combo of the burgundy food groups fruit/floral/mineral/savory, with both succulence and poise.
Denis Bachelet -
Vigot (literally the same fruit as the Gibourg sisters…) Vosne Romanée, single parcel les Lutenières, destemmed.
Bruno Clavelier - Vosne Romanée, single parcel Champs d’Argent, destemmed
Gerard Mugneret - Vosne Romanée, some whole cluster, a few parcels (I will have to consult zee notes)
Alain Michelot - Nuits Saint Georges, single parcel, destemmed (zee notes are needed)
I could go on.
People who complain that good Burgundy is too expensive, and then refuse to pay attention to anything less than $50 frankly suck.
Disclaimer: I import these above
and these too that have already been mentioned:
Bertheau, Chambolle Musigny, single parcel, destemmed
Rion, Chambolle Musigny, single parcel Bons Batons, destemmed
Gibourg Vosne Romanée, single parcel les Lutenières, destemmed
Hudelot Noellat, destemmed
Arnoux-Lachaux, Vosne Romanée, some whole cluster these days, a few parcels in Vosne/NSG
Lafarge, Volnay, single vineyard (zee notes are needed), destemmed.

Not mentioned and I don’t import:
Cecile Tremblay, Vosne Romanée, les Croix Blanches

Oh yeah, Martin, Van Canneyt isn’t based in Vosne. The negociant wines are made/housed in Beaune, I believe, with the Hudelot estate obviously in Vougeot.

Truly amazing how long the list of “best” Bourgogne. :wink:

Best is useless in my world, très Americain ça
There is no best, just the full spectrum of vineyard sites/vine age/house style.

Robert, I don’t know that people who complain that there is no good Burgundy under $50 “suck;” rather, I do believe that they are truly ignorant or don’t like Burgundy. In addition to your list, it would helpful if you included something about what to expect from the wines. Does Clavelier make a straight Bourgogne? I have only seen/tasted the Bourgogne Passetoutgrains, which is a wild, funky thing. Finally, I agree with your comment regarding the whole “best” concept, but I believe that John was looking for Bourgogne rouge recommendations. I do disagree with only looking for them in ripe vintages as they have their place in all vintages. I could drink Guillemot’s and Prudhon’s several times a week from any vintage and be quite content.

If we changed this to Burgundies under $50, I would have to add a bunch of wines from Dublere. In fact, I bought their 2014 Volnay Taillepieds and MSD Blanchards under $50.

An under the radar producer of excellent Bourgogne and also Givry (well under $50) is Domaine des Moirots

Givry, Marsannay, St. Romain etc. from good producers are often not pricier than the Bourgogne from the big names but often better quality. It depends on the vintage a bit but this is my feeling most of the time.

+1. Difficult to find, though. Gets gobbled up.

Georges Mugneret’s is consistently great, too, as others say.

Lucien Le Moine has a very good Bourgogne too.

+1

I have been drinking quite a few 2012-2014 Bourgogne wines, along with an older bottle here and there, and been quite happy with the wines.