Best books on Burgundy

What IS his latest, anyway? I’ve lost “touch”…is it the book on Vosne-Romanee?

I got my copy a couple months ago and it is really and truly wonderful. The vintage assessments make up a tiny fraction of the book and its value.

I have just reviewed the Meadows & Barzelay Vintages book for World of Fine Wine, should appear any day now - it is a brilliant book, as William suggests and does indeed break new ground.

Now back to work on my second edition - which will have a great deal more detail on who owns what of each lieu-dit, as the Original Post was interested in. Also, now that I am no longer trading in wine, I can express more opinions about producers which would not have been correct before.

There is an updated edition. Unfortunately the revision is by another author and it has none of the distinction of the original.

Jasper,

I have loved your first edition. When would you expect the second edition to be published? I very much look forward to your opinions on producers.

This is a good book in an encyclopedic kind of way
This edition is from 2010 so might be a bit dated
Not sure if it has been updated

If anyone wants to borrow it, I’ll ship it over
912E9461-786E-46DA-8B8A-7C2752C99824.jpeg

I would. :slight_smile:. If op doesn’t get it first. Ty. I’ll send a pm.

Ok Julie
I’ll send it over

I own 10-15 books on Burgundy and “Inside Burgundy” by Jasper is the one I’ve gone back to most. Definitely the first I’d recommend for someone really wanting to dive into Burgundy and get a good idea of producers in each village, what their holdings are, info about all the GC, 1er and important village level vineyards etc.

If you want to read about the most famous terroirs, Remington Norman’s “Grand Cru” is a good option. It’s helpful in getting a better grasp on the Grand Crus and will make you want to go spend a lot of money…

I am very happy with “A History from 1845” by Meadows and Barzelay. It’s a must-have for any serious Burgundy lover.

There’s some good info. in the Coates books but I agree with others that a lot of it is out of date or heading in that direction.

Thank you Tony! (All, I did realize that there are eBooks that are online and available for Inside Burgundy, so I’ll probably purchase them first.) Also, I agree to the Climats book, it is comprehensive with maps. Thanks everyone for sharing the knowledge about specific books. Meadows has a little shipping disc. on the site for his book. (FYI, there is a eBay book for about 385. Still too high. I have a feeling it’s a book that is obscure enough to be a some used book bins that are not online, but then not so available that it is everywhere.)

To turn the question a bit, what reviewers follow or references /use for individual commendations and reference points? (Still in the Burgundy frame of subject). Are they generally equal, or do you see a lens on each one? I’ve been following BH. Didn’t know what individual experiences were with Jasper Morris’ site or Jancis Robinson. In wine, each bit of support or advice has been monetized (understandable as ppl need to support themselves). That why we have to be thankful for WB!!, prince of pinot, CT, and w-s.

Also, another great resource is the French tourism bureau or burgundy vintners that have a very comprehensive overview of the regions, terriors and lieu-dits.

The Climats and Lieux-Dits of the Great Vineyards by Landrieu-Lussigny and Pitiot… what Tiem’s Champagne book did for the region, Landrieu-Lussigny’s and Pitiot’s book did for Burgundy. It is a remarkable reference point with wonderful maps. Highly recommended.

Cool Julie

if anyone else wants me to lend them the hard copy, let me know

I’d love the hard copy, but shipping to Canada may be a pain.

I can ship it postal and fill out the customs form if needed
shouldn’t be an issue

Friends,

Just bought the book “WINES and VINEYARDS of BURGUNDY” by Favaro and Gravina. A bit of a disappointment. Lots of domaines are discussed in a rather general way. Nothing we did not already know. No ratings which made COATES’ and PARKER’s book so fasinating. Nor a general overview of the vineyards they all have. Tasting note on the 2015 vintage is included. I would have preferred an indication what the respective VITICULTEUR’s gems were. A few errors as well : Christophe Roumier nephew to Georges? I thought he was the grandson. Eric Rousseau nephew to Charles??? His son I would suggest. Cyrille Rousseau daughter of Charles? Eric I would say…

SINCERELY JOHAN

+1

It’s a French magazine but I enjoy Bourgogne Aujourd’hui.

+1

As you mentioned in an article this year, many people can get bit by the Burgundy Bug. Well, I think I’m infected. Especially after our trip there this past August/September. What a magical place. Thank you for the recommendation on the second edition. I’ll be asking for this for Christmas.

1 Like