Best Area to Stay for a few Nights in Berlin

I would say they are not that level of busy. Sure, Berlin is a cosmopolitan city and there are plenty of cars and people about these areas. But definitely not to the level of NYC Times Square in my book. That’s a whole different level.

2 Likes

look up Prenzlauer Berg…

also the area around Bahnhof Zoo/KaDeWe

1 Like

Berlin is Germany’s largest city but occupies a large area so it does not feel as compressed as Manhattan. It is a remarkably green city, too–apart from the many parks and green zones there are loads of allotment gardens available for residents to use (more than any other German city in terms of percent land use). You can hunt within city limits (roe deer, wild boar), and like most of Germany is quite dog-friendly. I could quite happily live in Berlin.

Thanks Mia. Not looking to move there. :wink: Never been there and I’m just looking for a good, convenient area of the city to stay for a few days without too much hustle and bustle.

Honestly, I’d stay in the Mitte for its walkability to some of Berlin’s main attractions. The S-Bahn and U-Bahn and buses and trams are easy to navigate (even Google Maps works with this) if you want to get beyond walking distance.
Four days isn’t a lot of time given the abundance of things to see/do–the Museum Island alone could occupy that time, there is a ton of music and theatre (some theatres will have subtitles), and of course plenty to see that’s of historical and/or contemporary interest. But it all depends on what you’re interested in doing.

Following. Headed to Berlin in September for the Marathon. Staying at the Hotel Luc.

BTW, this is another good Berlin thread:

Thank you Paul and Mia!

1 Like

We love Berlin and have stayed at both the Westin Grand Berlin (close to museums, KomischeOper our favorite), Hotel Adlon near the Brandenburg Gate, and a smaller boutique hotel, Hotel Brandenburger Hof. We really enjoy staying in what was the former East Berlin. We love Berlin - amazing city and easy to get around. Lots of dining and sightseeing options.

Thanks Scott. I’ll take a look at at it. I’m a Marriott Bonvoy cardholder, so that may work well.

Thanks James. Will check those areas out.

Thank you Lori. because of the overwhemingly gray and dank image of the former East Berlin portrayed in movies, I was hesitant to stay in that area. I’ll take a look at those hotels.

1 Like

the old East Berlin is characterised by gorgeous wide boulevards
and buttugly architechture…
they still have not filled in all the shell-holes that Zhukov & Co left in 1945

used to be a wonderful winebar/restaurant in Prenzlauer Berg called Weinstein
…the proprietor died few years back; no idea what became of the place

best recs around Bahnhof Zoo are the Turkish restaurants
and the Turkish hotdog stands serving Lamacuhn…

i have spent a great deal of time in Berlin
never found it to be anything approaching a Culinary Destination
…one does far better for that in Munich

and as far as that goes
Munich can not hold a candle to Vienna,
or any major city in France

1 Like

The Hotel Luc is also a Marriott property. I’m cashing in points to stay there.

The east is newer and often more vibrant. Remember that the largest construction project in Europe post Cold War was the reconstruction of Berlin. It is fabulous.

1 Like

There is still a lot of beautiful architecture (both historic and modern) in what was East Berlin, not to mention two of the most important opera houses in Germany (a third is in what was West Berlin).

As far as dining opportunities go, there is plenty of good food in both Berlin and Munich, including various international/ethnic restaurants and local specialities. I’ve had excellent meals in both cities, so personally would not rank one over the other at least in so far as food opportunities are concerned (opera is a different story).
But I would strongly recommend looking out for local dining specialities and other experiences in Berlin, rather than something that is generic/internationalized. (I’d recommend that for anyone, anywhere, as isn’t that a big part of why one travels?) I never leave Berlin without Aseli :mouse2: :mouse2:, for instance.

i suffered many long years at the Schillertheater with Barenboim & Co
while the old Staatsoper Unter den Linden was being renovated…

and have always found the performances at the Deutsche Oper in Charlottenburg to be very fine;
Runnicles knows his stuff, and they manage to bring off modern Regietheater that is relatively unstupid…
nearly as fine as the Lyric Opera of Chicago, if not quite up to the Met, Covent Garden or Staatsoper Wien

and of course i have been to Tantris in Munich
but you are right – i like the big downtown Augustiner the best in the Isarmetropole,
and the local restaurants in Berlin are definitely the way to go,
which was why i was recommending the Turkish establishments in the KaDeWe neighbourhood

Thanks for your additional input Mia. I gather Aseli is some type of German candy?

This is all getting a wee bit confusing, but I appreciate your input. So what exactly do you mean by “local restaurants”? Non-franchise/chain places? Aren’t all restaurants in Berlin local? Or are you saying Turkish food a local speciality in Berlin?

The Schillertheater was not optimal but I saw many good performances while the Staatsoper was housed there. Ditto for the Deutsche Oper, especially their recent Meyerbeer productions.

Agree about Runnicles; he’s an underappreciated conductor. I would not personally hold up the Met as the pinnacle of opera; there have been too many meh productions (including expensive new productions) and sometimes even poorer singing, unfortunately.

In the neighbourhood of the Deutsche Oper I’ve enjoyed Wilhelm Hoeck and Kater Alex as well as the kebap stand just outside the opera house.