BerserkerDay 14 Master Thread/FAQ - our 14th Event! Jan 27, 2023

IMHO, the best deal in all of wine.

5 Likes

*if you live in California!

Just had a bottle of this last week-end. Lovely wine that really shone a couple hours after opening.

1 Like

Prima Materia Sagrantino - just drank a recent purchase to be ready for BD14. Beautiful perfume upon opening. Drank it over the course of the evening. Let the decanter do its thing. The taste took 3-4 hours to deliver on the heady intensity promised by the scent, so plan ahead. It develops from tasting kind of thin straight out of the bottle, into an intense experience with beautiful fruit and power supported by smoother tannins. A real find from Lake County, just north of Napa County.

It’s always a pleasure to find a Sagrantino in California. Denier Handel has one (very nice and reminds me a lot of those found in Umbria), Da Vero (overpriced and made with imported vines of questionable provenance), Muscardini (club-only and limited quantity), a couple of others — and now Prima Materia! Very exciting, and a Berserker! Prima Materia’s label design is also beautiful. Normally I wouldn’t comment on something irrelevant to what’s in the bottle, but it’s really neat for fans of antiquities. And, you start digging into the producer, you’ll find quite interesting blog posts and wealth of knowledge.

4 Likes

I also cracked one of mine the other day. I think my teeth are still stained! :slight_smile: It was a great Sagrantino though, but I’ll either age the other bottle further, or else long decant it, as you mentioned.

3 Likes

I’ve enjoyed @Pietro_B’s wine from BD13 and re-upped again late last year. I have yet to break into my Sagrantino, but perhaps the time is right ahead of BD14.

5 Likes

You bet your ass… Got on the list after my first bd purchase.

4 Likes

So if my youngest daughter turns 14 on January 27th, then she was born on the first Anniversary of Wineberserker.com?
Should have named her Ann, for Anniversary.

4 Likes

Scherrer, Cabot, and I got some fantastic 2013 Mancini Ranch from Kurt @ Boheme a few years ago. I think the Mancini may have been a one-off for Kurt. I have one left……

4 Likes

John is definitely in this year.

9 Likes

I’ve been working on the plumbing for berserkerday and I was in the pre-launch forum, hidden from the prying eyes, where the participants work on their offers.

I saw a new offer posted from this guy, the Godfather of Rhone Rangers himself. Okay, you have my attention…

9 Likes

Will a full list of vendors come out ahead of B-Day?

1 Like

Day before if you’re a Grand Cru subscriber. Otherwise no.

2 Likes

It’s all in the OP :person_shrugging:

2 Likes

See the pinned top post under “Preview Day.”

3 Likes

‘Unicorn Raffle’ is posted!

3 Likes

This is gonna be wild!!!

6 Likes

Seconding on Scherrer. I was tired of Zin and hadn’t really drank it for several years but last week opened a scherrer OMV and it was absolutely delightful. Actually ended up ordering a ton of half bottles before BD we enjoyed it so much.

2 Likes

Definitely recommend giving it time either way — more time in bottle, or more time out of bottle! :0D

5 Likes

Preview Day is only a few days away!!!

(a reminder that both the Preview Day and Early Purchase Offers forums will be posted in this forum, as subforums, and will be accessible to Grand Cru Crü and Monopole Crü members only, as outlined in the OP above)

12 Likes