BERSERKER COGNAC SELECTED! (please sign up for bottles on post 1!)

They may; they’re not doing regular mail delivery bc of the holiday but may deliver ems

Got mine today, it was tracked in USPS Informed Delivery

3 Likes

It is a pretty bottle!

1 Like

It’s a pretty drink, too! I’m enjoying this more than the two Armagnac bottles I have been sampling over the course of the last year!

2 Likes

What a great night to be enjoying this mighty fine cognac! Doing a little celebration with my son. Had some sushi and Screaming Eagle beer. Then poured the Cofnac. A massive storm started to flow through Orlando. You can probably see the storm through the windows out to the lake. The wind is literally howling around the house and down the fireplace. I’ve got the AC cranked, and this cognac is quite warming. To the soul, even. Now bear in mind, I am not a cognac connoisseur like many of you, although I definitely adore a good cognac or Armagnac. I would categorize this one as pretty full-throttle, full-bodied. An intense but fragrant nose of honey, cinnamon, florals, wood spice and alcohol. I’m a wussy on ABV, so keep that in mind. Buttered toffee, honied biscotti and vanilla toast on the palate. Prolly more oak presence than I ordinarily want, but this package does all meld together quite nicely. I would order more and hope Dr. Chang does this again next year with another vintage. Special thanks to @MChang for organizing this special bottle for us.

3 Likes

Glad you liked it! If you’re used to 40% it could definitely feel a little hot. A few drops of water may help.

I’m eventually going to see if we can do something with Normandin mercier although the logistics could be hard. I’m also going to see what else the Pasquets have unearthed.

4 Likes

Sounds great, keep us posted.

Nice notes Alife, thanks.

1 Like

Cracked ours last night. Presented exactly as it did when we tasted the sample. Water definitely helps this one, though it does mute the nose a bit. That said, it becomes as smooth as silk with some water and goes down very easy.

1 Like

Yes, I do drops on all my fine liquors, as rarely does a fine liquor come out at 40%abv - helps in many ways, but on this, true, the nose gets a bit muted…which is ok, as it’s a BIG nose, (like mine!) particularly when using the Bennuaine stem

2 Likes

How long did delivery take after clearing customs for those that have received theirs? Mine seems to have gone into never never land

1 Like

It just took a couple days.

Yeah, not sure what port of entry it came through. If east coast, with monday holiday, maybe just still in transit. The notes were confusing.

You should have a tracking number. If you use USPS Informed Delivery it should be in tracking once near delivery. My email confirmation had a tracking number.

1 Like

What water?

Usps shows the same info. Attempted delivery on the 17th, which is probably not true, because the business should have been open then. No attempts after that, 3 business days later. Maybe it will turn up, but I’m a little worried it has dropped off the grid.

You might be ribbing me, but I use distilled water, of course - CA tap water is full of chlorine

1 Like

I received mine last week and popped a bottle over the weekend. It has a very intense aroma and flavor, and the higher ABV is definitely noticeable. It’s definitely different than other cognacs I’ve had (not that I’m anywhere near an expert), and I enjoyed it. Very long finish with weight and heft. Nuanced caramel flavor with some wild tastes I couldn’t place. Spice? Pepper? Citrus? Probably all of the above. Either way, I very much enjoyed it. I’d also note that I tried it both neat and with a few drops of water. I found that diluting it a tiny bit helped to open up the flavors and smooth out some of the wildness.

1 Like

My wife got white pepper and all spice on the nose, I think those notes are pretty spot on. It’s a very complex brandy.

1 Like

It was a serious question, believe it or not.
Punch on water (and mostly ice): Does Water Quality Really Matter in Cocktails? - PUNCH

Seems like you favor “soft” water since distilled is pure as opposed to a mineral water like Vichy.

2 Likes