Bereche, Valentini, COS, Mastroberadino, McCartney

So my concert buddies and I flew up to NYC yesterday to see Paul McCartney at MSG. What a concert! 32 songs over 3 hours non-stop @ the age of 75. Just incredible. No better venue than MSG.

So to get ready we had an early and long dinner at Marta, Danny Meyers pizza and wood grilled meats restaurant located in the Redbury Hotel.

Katie Morton is the beverage director who took care of us. She is super knowledgeable and passionate about Italian wines. We wanted to go with the non-usual suspects and we really scored with all of these wines. Some quick notes:

2012 Bereche & Fils Les Monts Fournois Grand Vin de Champagne (Ludes) - First let me say that Marta has one of the best, smart Champagne lists in the city. Tiny production, only 1709 bottles. Stunning. I believe this is a blanc de blancs. Very fine mouse this really has depth and length. Citrus and mineral but also a hint of brioche.

2010 Valentini Trebbiano d’Abruzzo - Nobody does trebbiano like Valentini and this vintage is one of the best of recent. Such crazy complexity and this just kept evolving in the glass. Dense but the acidity provides tremendous lift. Stupendous match with squash blossom white pizza.

2015 COS Frappato - Mamma mia! Perfect with the meat pizza. I likened this to a Foillard Morgan with a extra punch of acidity. Very gamay-like loaded with crunchy red fruits and fine sweet tannins. I could nose this wine all night. Thank you Katie!

1998 Mastroberardino Taurasi Ridici Riserva - Drinking really well. The nose offers hints of smoke, very grave-like. Nice concentration and finish.

Highly recommend Marta. Cools space. Well chosen wine list that, although not as deep as Maialino, is perfect for the menu and venue.

great call on marta for msg event
iirc danny m wasn’t easily sold on the pizza/champagne idea but obviously it works
sounds like a perfect prelude to mccartney!

Love Bereche!

Love the Cos Frappato! Sounds like a very enjoyable concert.

Thanks,
Ed