Bedrock Wine Co. Spring 2021 Release

Would agree - really think the Bedrock Rose has a nice balance and some body to it. One of my favorite roses at the $20 price point and I’ll definitely be in for a case.

I hate to be contrarian, but I am with Joshua on this one, the Ode to Lulu just doesn’t do it for me. I am a huge bedrock fan, it is my largest holding at 8.2% of my cellar, but the rose isn’t my cup of tea. I bought the 2016 and ended up dumping 2 of the 4 down the drain, lost (presumed drunk) 1, and scored the final at an 82. That pretty well turned me off on any future vintages.

after the podcast a few wines really stood out to me. Can’t wait for the offer.

Sonoma Carignane - Sounds great and this varietal done well is awesome as a summer red (Sandlands, etc…)
Sonoma Cab - Some big name vineyards in there for quite a great price (Montecillo, etc…)
Limerick Lane Zin - Lower yields from an already awesome site
Ode To Lucien - sounds like its going to be brawny this year.

Last year’s Lulu was fantastic and actually got better over a few months. The second half of my case was detailed and delicious. The first few bottles were kind of anonymous rose, fine for the price but nothing special. Then around late July, it underwent a transformation (to my palate anyway) and became much more complex. Lots of wild strawberry and peach notes and flavors, but still lightweight and in prefect balance with acidity and the juiciness I look for in roses.

Agreed, I noticed the same thing…it just seemed to kick into high gear. Pretty sure they didn’t survive August. Case of Lulu and maybe a smattering of the others.

I’m not opposed to giving the Lulu another try. I’ve tried ‘16 - ‘18. The 18 was probably the best of the bunch if I recall correctly. I also buy it locally rather than have it shipped in. It’s $20-21 locally and when a good bottle of Tavel is on the same rack it’s hard for me to go with.

Bedrock is the second or third largest holding in my cellar so I obviously like the wines.

2 Likes

Listen to the podcast. They address Lulu right off the bat and in comparison to Bandol.

I’m drinking the 2018 Cole Ranch ZZZ Riesling (the off-dry auslese style one) for the first time and really like it a lot. The sweetness is totally balanced and it’s packed with ripe fruit. Might not be Prum but it’s delicious (and a good deal less $).
Will definitely look to snag some more in this release.

After listening to the Pod the Lulu is going to be tight this year. Grab all you are allowed now.
Mention anything Monte Rosso and I’m all ears, nose and mouth.
Hopefully the cost of Limerick Lane isn’t off the chart.

Just reordered 2cs of '19 OVZ with cellar space already at a premium.
Decisions decisions.

The podcast is an amazing stroke of marketing genius. I’m in awe. It is very engaging and enjoyable, well targeted at us as an audience, and absolutely wonderful poison for anyone hoping to holdoff or limit purchases for whatever reason. It’s kind of like some kind of spiked Turkish Delight candy - it looks and sounds so good, and you know you shouldn’t, but it’s soft and pillowy and brightly colored and you just dive in anyway.

2019 sounds great (who knew) and I’m already in for more than I planned. Happy to see Lorenzo is back, really enjoyed 2012 recently, and should post my notes for that along with some other wines from 2012 popped in the same timeframe. I bought for a good few years with no idea what I’d find once we got to 5-6 years of age.

Podcasts for wineries should be SOP in today’s age of technology. Why should I search for tasting notes or pay for reviews when the winemaker can tell me the intent, history and how they feel about the final product. Genius!

This will be the first release I miss since joining the list. Do you think skipping the occasional release will cause an issue? I see some wineries drop you from the list for that.

I love Bedrock, but I stocked up over the last couple years because it was great for when we have people over and to age some. Between the pandemic limiting social interactions and having a baby at the end of last year, we just haven’t drank as many daily drinkers as usual. Hopefully that changes soon, but as it stands Bedrock makes up 20% of my cellar.

I wouldn’t worry about that. Sitting out an offer shouldn’t have impact on future offers.

1 Like

I listened and now I have to get some Nervo too. Always been a vineyard fan.

Y’all gonna do a Caboose once you gobble up this historic vineyard?

I’ve had to pass some of their offerings … and in fact may pass this one given covid layoff … and still receive decent allocations so I don’t think you need to worry.

Morgan and Chris are the consummate cool guys. If you have any concerns, email them. They will give you a truthful and straightforward response.

Usually the lists that boot you for skipping an offer make that abundantly clear. Cannot imagine Bedrock, with three offers a year, would do that.

Thanks for all the input on skipping a release. I don’t feel nearly as bad now, but will also miss the Lulu

I skipped 2 releases ago and still had an option to purchase everything on the release list last time.

As for this release, I know the wife will be excited for Lulu, it easily became her favorite rosé last summer.

Lulu is widely available. Winesearcher shows '16 - '20 for sale. you can always pick up a few bottles when convenient. Unless you live in a state that is difficult to ship to, I suppose.