Bedrock Fall Release 2018

I buy what I’ve enjoyed in the past, at least 2-6 bottles and then I buy what sounds interesting.

I always buy the Evangelho (I love the vineyard), the upper end Syrahs, occasional other heritage reds and a smattering of white. Thankfully, zins are lower on my wish list. Focus, Dan!

I have purchased almost no wine this year, so now’s as good a time as any to go crazy and order two cases, including wishlist. Don’t tell my pregnant wife, please. Everything sounded too good. At least the wine will show up after the baby.

This is the decision I face with each Bedrock (and Carlisle) release. They produce so many wines and I have many cases in the cellar, so my rational mind knows I should limit the number of bottles purchased, but the reality is that there are the wines I drink most often! The pricing is reasonable, and my friends and family enjoy these wines too, so I happily open multiple bottles when entertaining (or going to dinner with groups), which is not the case with many of the other wines I buy.

Anyway, for me, I do have that “sense” you refer to about particular bottlings - I drink a lot of the Heritage and zins and those are the ones I now buy the most of. I also tend to grab any of the “one-off” releases, such as the Tinto currently being offered. Dan, since you have so many Bedrocks on hand, why not invite a group over and open a bunch to compare?

Good gravy, I believe I’d rather subject myself to water torture rather than trying to decide what to purchase. [headbang.gif]
The only no brainer was the generous Evangelho allocation and I pounced on that one. [thumbs-up.gif]

Will have to do some add ons before the guarantee time expires. [scratch.gif]

Anyone actually receive magnum allocations?

I only had magnums as wishlist options.

I believe the magnums and york are wish list only to make it easier on them

I have yet to figure out a coherent strategy but generally order based upon the following:

First, I figured out that I am not a big fan of the white wines - they just don’t impress me the same way as the reds. So that helps reduce the selection a bit.

Second, I buy a few of the lower priced wines (e.g. Old Vine Zin, Ode to LuLu, and North Coast Syrah) as they make great gifts and are good wines to introduce to friends.

Third, I regularly buy the Heritage Wines - especially the Bedrock Vineyard ones - mostly because it is the family vineyard. I have found the Heritage wines to be the most impressive wines with layers of flavor and levels of nuance. The stories of the vines in these heritage sites is intriguing and I like to taste that history in the glass.

Finally, I buy single bottles here and there in a somewhat haphazard manner. Often, I become intrigued by Morgan’s notes; sometimes, I just like the price. On other occasions, I follow the tasting notes or recommendations of people on this board.

I have generally been pleased with the haphazard approach.

Order in! 3 mixed cases (emphasis on Syrah and Bedrock). I generally skip the whites. This and Rhys are the two wineries that I always go long. These two do “rock” my world.

Having said that, I do enjoy variety. Just so much great wine in the world these days…and so little time (and $).

Cheers,
JP

Interesting couple comments on skipping the whites…I find them to be a very nice value - something of quality to open for summer outdoor sipping…

I’m somewhat similar to the last few comments: stick to the reds, buy 2-3 consistently each release, and round out a six pack with what looks good and/or unique for that release.

FWIW - just updated my inventory this evening, and Bedrock makes up 22% of the 188 bottles. For that matter, zins and zin blends make-up 53% of the total. I guess I like zins, then next would be GSM/syrahs.

Yes, but grabbed 750s. I went for a mixed case of the Zins, just killer stuff year after year: Heritage, Dolinsek, Evangelho, OV.

I ordered the following from Bedrock Wine Company’s Fall Release:

• 2 x 2017 “Evangelho Vineyard” Contra Costa Heritage Red

• 1 x 2017 “Wirz Vineyard” Cienega Valley Riesling

"Evangelho Vineyard" -

I could not pass on this wine for a couple of reasons: the fact that this is the first vintage the Bedrock crew performed 100% of the site’s management/farming is a special milestone for the company, and a benchmark for their future work with the location. The heavy Mourvèdre/Mataro component in this bottling certainly doesn’t hurt, either!
000053080001evangelho.jpg
2017 was the last year that Mr Frank Evangelho, the prior guardian of the vineyard, was with us. It is important to celebrate his family’s years of protecting and cultivating the Antioch, CA, property.

Frank Evangelho fought to keep as many of the vines in the ground as was possible during a time when (more often than not) the value of a unique viticultural treasure was not viewed as anything more than an impediment to commercial development.

I do not mean to imply that the fate of the “Evangelho Vineyard” is 100% secure. However, there could be no better group of people to take up Mr Evangelho’s torch for the foreseeable future.

"Wirz Vineyard" -
_20180802_222740.JPG
I am enamoured with this San Benito County vineyard just as I am with the old-vine sites in Contra Costa County: they are survivors whose continued existence rests upon the dedication of their landowners/farmers. Mr Pat Wirz - doomed in any police line-up - has nurtured his eclectic gathering of varieties for decades. The “Wirz Vineyard” grows red (Mourvèdre, Carignan, Zinfandel) and white (Riesling) grapes, planted between 1904 and 1952. I have not tasted the Bedrock “Wirz” white wine before (the “Alta Vista” Gewürtz was a beauty) but, considering that MTP and Chris agreed on the deliciousness of the '17 Riesling, I cannot pass!
947726.jpg
I have noticed more wineries paying attention to the older vineyards of San Benito and Santa Clara. I particularly am hopeful that Bedrock will continue to embrace the treasures of the “Wirz Vineyard”, the “Under the Mountain Vineyard”, and other sites in the region.

I am prone to view such locations with the eye of a Romantic. Those toiling among the vines probably aren’t as susceptible to wax poetically on how the gnarled arms of sun-kissed grapevines, reaching skyward, seek to consummate the golden orb’s love. :wink:

I tend to also not be a huge fan of bedrock whites. Have a few bottles of Riesling that I’m looking forward to trying, but I find the whites tend to be a bit too oaked and hot for my tastes. Same with Carlisle. Although It could be that I’m just drinking them too early… the ‘11 Carlisle Compagni Portis I had recently was a beautiful creature.

I think your comment kind of answered the problem of your dislike for the white wines: Give Them Time!

It’s like reading the negative TN’s on CellarTracker for the Bedrock red wines: someone finds a particular bottle disjointed, too tannic, or the various elements are not completely resolved - IF you cellar these wines for just a little longer, they will open up and show the beauty and purity of flavors that makes this winery so popular in the first place.

Just my opinion

These wines absolutely require time, but I always appreciate the notes from folks on the ones that are good early drinkers because there are always those as well. I’ve been buying since approx 2012 so have a nice cellar full of bottles with a range of age.

From a purchase standpoint I have to budget total wine purchases so I focus on the heritage and field blends, and the zin-based wines because I think these absolutely represent California wine in a way Napa cab does not (and certainly from a QPR standpoint). The wines are anything but uniform, always interesting, don’t ever give my wife a headache, and I have to thank this board for the intro.

Ordered way too much given the state of my cellar.

I could have sworn I had an allocation of magnums on Tuesday when I received the offer, but when I finally placed my order, I could only wishlist mags. Wishful thinking on my part, I guess.

Anyway, I ordered two cases and wish listed a trio of mags.

Ordered about 3 cases. Less than prior years, still way too much.