Beckstoffer Las Piedras

I PU the HT because the GY was way more LN than the DB.

WTF right?

1 Like

I bought some 2016 Alpha Omega Beckstoffer Las Piedras when I was there a handful of years ago. While I thought some of the Alpha Omega wines were overdone and too rich, I thought the Las Piedras showed really well. It showed the second most lift, red and black fruit, and structure. The best was, to me, the Beckstoffer To Kalon, but Las Piedras was a bit better than the Dr. Crane, which I also really enjoyed.

Las P is most likely my favorite vineyard in all of Napa (maybe a tie with MacDonald), and my votes would be allocated to Fait Main, Memento Mori and Vice Versa.

The 2019 Quivet and Vice Versa bottlings are absolutely stunning. Agree that it can be hit or miss at times, but those are two absolute home runs!

The only Las Piedras I have had has been Schrader and it remains one of my least favorites. It consistently seems to be lighter and sweeter than their other offerings. No idea if other winemakers make similar or better wines.

And I might add, I have absolutely no regrets in finishing off my bottles. Sure, it would have been nice to have a few more, but it is what it is.

One addendum, for my palate, the 2019 Fait-Main LPV, which has been getting rave reviews, still needs time, despite a several hour decant. The raw materials are certainly there, but this is more complex, and perhaps reserved than Carter and especially Quivet.

+1 for Quivet, really the only one from the vineyard Iā€™ve had.

From my cellar depressurization event back in June:

"2016 Quivet Beckstoffer Las Piedras Cab

Lots of blueberry and blackberry sniffs here with some wood smoke. Mike Smithā€™s wines are almost always plush but controlled. No different here. The plum and blueberry and blackberry fruit is ripe and rich, but it isnā€™t torpid, carries well. Maybe a small licorice swirl at the back. This is one Iā€™d age some, it feels itā€™ll settle in even a little better. Very good already and had many fans."

Haere Ra

Mike

To anyone on this list, how much is the Hobbs Las Piedras now at release? Is it pushing $300?

I REALLY liked the 2016. I just popped a 2018 out of curiosity, as upon release it was pretty locked and loaded. Iā€™d say the 2018 still needs more time, but no regrets checking in. Iā€™ll likely hold my 2018s for a year or two more.

Drank a 2019 Quivet LP night before last. 2 hr decant. Very nice spot.

1 Like

$295 in the current offering

Can almost buy TWO Fait Main LP for that.