Becklyn release live

It’s my first year with an allocation…I put myself on a no-new-purchases policy, but I think I have to break it for this.

Not sure what I’ll end up with yet, but probably a bunch of the NVs and a couple of the higher end cabs.

It sounds like 2019 was a great year for Napa cabernet. I expect the NV to punch way above its cost as it did for 2018, if not more. This and the basic cab from Quivet are QPR home runs for this style of cab.

Will be grabbing 6 nv and maybe a few mh. Expensive time of year.

Can anyone give examples of other wineries these may be similar to before I buy? I love Scarlet, is it similar to that?

Picked up a few NV cabs along with the Moulds. Very curious to see how the Moulds vineyard is as I’ve read a few posts here about what to expect but have never had it by itself. That $65 price on the NV cab seems hard to pass up based on what I’ve read.

The one bottle I had (still have another, plus the 18 and 19) was dy-no-mite .

Was it now?
CFD20086-6216-4913-9232-50BA1CABB406.jpeg

We have had the 14-Myriad, 15-Quivet and 15-Scarlett NV’s over the last few weeks. The Scarlett was the favorite until we had a 16 Becklyn last night. The Becklyn was firing on all cylinders. To me it offered up more complexity. Not the best comparison due to the different vintages.

I’ve had vintages 12 thru 16 and the 16 was significantly better than the others. I am glad I have another 5 left.

The 2016 and surprisingly 2017 Becklyn’s were so good—I finished my last 2016 a few weeks ago, found it firing on all cylinders. Slightly more dense and concentrated than the 2017. The 2017 had a little more energy and verve, and REALLY liked that vintage. I’ll be loading up on the 2019s as well.

I appreciate the notes on Mike’s entry level cabs–always enjoyable. Becklyn may have just a bit more complexity.

I’d rank the entry level cabs in this order (forgive me if I’m missing any):

1. Becklyn
  2. Quivet
  3. Scarlett (does need some bottle age)
  4. Myriad

All are above 90 points in each vintage going back to 2015 for me, at least. Always a great buy.

1 Like

I’ve only had the 2014 vintage of Becklyn Moulds–it was a very restrained cab for Mike Smith’s style, I’d rate it a solid 93 points for the vintage. Cool blue fruit, framing acidity, some barrel notes. Classy cab. I think he really lets the site shine through. I haven’t had other vintages of Becklyn Moulds. It’s rather unique in the Mike Smith portfolio.

1 Like

I was able to secure a 12 pack of various bottles from Becklyn this release. Its just a very good wine that is approachable early or near term aging. Not really sure about these after ten years at this point. Unfortunately, I drink them before they get to five years so I will probably never know what they are like at ten years.

I habe a couple ‘12s in the cellar. We’ll see eventually.

1 Like

Very curious to know your thoughts when you open one! I’ve never been able to age the Becklyn Napa Valley because it drinks so well young, but I bet it can age a bit too! The 2014 Becklyn Reserve I had a year or so ago was still quite young, but very good–a slight more restrained than other Mike Smith cabs. Perhaps part vineyard, part vintage?

I have one 12 left that I am hanging on to as well.

2 Likes

Ended up going back and forth, and decided on 6 Napa Valley’s. With Carter, Myriad, and Quivet, upcoming I have to spread the love around a bit. Nice scores from Jeb Dunnuck, BTW–but Mike makes good wine, year in year out.

Thanks for the information and I’m definitely interested in the 2019’s for the Becklyn and Myriad Cabernet Napa Valley’s.

Just checked online. Both Myriad and Becklyn are still showing inventory of their 19 NV’s. These are scheduled to ship in the fall.

2 Likes

i actually didn’t buy when this release occurred, and went in today and bought a mixed case. so thanks for reviving this thread.

Just purchased a bottle of the 2019 Becklyn Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley.