Beard Awards

Minneapolis has now taken Best Chef Midwest 3 years running:

His 2 restaurants are both in my top 5 for the twin cities. One of his best things ever was a thinly sliced avocado and thinly sliced jalepeno in a single layer, drizzled with olive oil. Not sure what he did to it, but that odd and simple sounding dish was fantastic.

Really? 79 views and no responses?

Also saw that Couchon won best chef South - nice for a place with grits, cracklin and alligator on the menu.

Two chefs from Portland won:
Gabriel Rucker from Le Pigeon as rising chef and Andy Ricker from Pok Pok as the Northwest winner. I was surprised that Cathy Whims from Nostrana didn’t win this year.

This sounds really good.

Sincerely,
Mexico

Quite a run for Minneapolis. The funny part of it for us is that my wife and I seem to be a bit of a good luck charm. In each of the last 3 yrs (McKee, Roberts, and now Becker) wherever we have spent our anniversary dinner, the next award has gone to that chef.

With our anniversary coming up again at the end of the month, I’m thinking of contacting Flicker (Piccolo), Russo (Heartland), and Francoual (Vincent) and auctioning off our dinner to the highest bidder. [snort.gif]

I’ll at least offer to bring the wine to share.

So am I and, though I’m obviously in the minority, I’ve eaten once at Pok Pok and won’t go back. The food was so salty as to be inedible. Why Andy gets the raves he does is a mystery to me.

Le Pige rocks.