Bavarian SEMMELKNÖDEL

Here we have the ultra-classic Semmelknödel from Bavaria. Great side dish for the upcoming stew dish season with a lot of sauce and also traditional for game dishes. My recipe is from the 1920s bavarian Alps by my grandmother. Fair to say the method at the end is modern, but it makes it much more easier for you. Regarding the traditional way which means to form balls you need experience.

The good thing with this modern recipe is that you can serve it immediately, but also hours later or the next day. Even put it in the freezer then serve it whenever you want.

The Semmelknödel slices taste great solo, but are also very helpful to absorb any kind of sauce. In addition a good method to use any old leftover white bread.

Ingredients

400-450g white bread or 6 buns (1-2-3-4 days old)

250ml hot milk

3 eggs

1 onion, cubed

1 bunch parsley, chopped

good knob of butter

optional: nutmeg

clingfilm&aluminium foil
big bowl

Preparation

1. Chopp the old white bread in little pieces.

IMG_8126

1. Put in a big bowl

IMG_8127

1. Add hot milk and let it rest 30min. Very important!

IMG_8128

1. Sauté cubed onion softly in butter, until translucend, but not black

IMG_8129

1. Add onion, parsley, salt&pepper and optional nutmeg to the bread after 30-45min.

IMG_8131

1. Also 3 eggs and mix it together with a wood spoon or by hand.

IMG_8132

1. Put a halve of the bread mix to a plastic clingfilm

IMG_8134

1. Roll it and wrap it up. Now make the second one with the rest of the bread mix.

IMG_8135

1. Now put into an aluminium foil and wrapp it up

IMG_8137

1. Let it simmer in water 25min with a lid. After around 15min. turn the package around.

IMG_8138

1. Serve it now in slices to your main dish incl. a lot of sauce

IMG_8139

1. OR let it cool down for hrs. or overnight in fridge

IMG_8140

1. Next day or hours later cut Semmelknödel in slices and sauté softly the slices in butter for 2-3min each side

IMG_8141

1. Voilà…….

IMG_8142

P.S.

you will find this Semmelknödel also in the Austrian and Bohemian cuisine. Sometimes in variations.

3 Likes

Delicious. But prepared and cut this way, doesn’t that make them Serviettenknödel instead of Semmelknödel?

2 Likes

You’re right, they should be rather called „Serviettenknödel“.

I never thought about that, but as it is the recipe of my grandmother I stick to Semmelknödel. Of course she made it in the traditional way.

2 Likes

My wife has a family recipe that is similar to this that they call Bohemian dumplings. They would make a double batch in the fall, freezing half for later use. But this looks great and I will try it as it seems to be perfect for a stew.

1 Like

I finally got around to making Martin’s recipe, starting with a 3 day old loaf, which sliced up perfectly as it was nice and dry.

Milk, eggs, onions, and seasoning. Unfortunately I didn’t have any fresh parsley so that bit of brightness and color was omitted. They were wrapped up tightly in cling wrap, and then in foil as the recipe notes.

After their water bath, and slicing. Very hot! There was a whole another roll for a future dinner, which will be sliced and then pan fried I think.

While those burbled away, I fried a few breaded pork chops while my better half made a cream gravy to pair with this.

Great recipe, Martin. Kid #1 particularly loved it, and a family member who lived in Heidelberg for a decade joined us for dinner, pleasantly surprised to have this style of fare in the Big Tomato. If one ever has a lot of dried out bread, or milk running close to expiry, this is a sensible solution for that.

2 Likes

:+1:

Next time with parsley, as it gives additional flavor and dimension/layer to the „Semmelknödel“. And I am happy that Kid #1 loved it, kids are not easy to impress/convince regarding foreign food.

Merry Xmas,
Martin

I made some of the potato dumplings, stuffed with croutons, and then fried the leftovers next day, sliced up, with butter on a flat griddle.

Our ‘Heidelberger’ family member joined us for supper so dumplings and caraway crusted pork were on deck. We had some bubbly to go with it. BTW, Instead of apple sauce to go with this, we had a commercial food service pear puree … which paired magnificently. I think that is more a French tradition than central European though.

2 Likes

Looks absolutely delicious. :clap: