Baudry 2005, Clavelin 1988 and Éléonore Champagne

My mom is leaving in a couple of days and we wanted to bring her out to Les Copains D’abord in Saint Genis-Pouilly. Great little bistro/brasserie that opened a few weeks ago and has super accessible prices for the area. We love Frederic and his restaurant. And because he likes wine, he lets us BYO if we share with him. Lovely.

Champagne Éléonore Ambigramme
We started out with Ambigramme from Éléonore (disclaimer: we sell this). I love this basic cuvée but tonight sonething was off. I think it was my palate. I tasted the Baudry first, then the Chalon so it might have mexican luchadored my palate. It was good but the sweetness was sticking out which I never got out of this cuvée (4g/l). Call this user error.

1988 Hubert Clavelin Chateau Chalon
Sweet Jesus. Let’s start with the only negative. It was just a tiny bit lacking in acidity. But, that being said, it might just be me being an a$$. Kick-arse bottle: candied hazelnuts, cheese rind, shaved metal, rancid butter, lime and toasted mixed nuts. The palate is easy, smooth with nutty creaminess and a slight acidic twang on the mid-palate. Long finish on nuttiness and bitter oxidative notes. Wonderful.

Even better this paired magnificently with a charcuterie and cheese platter: Comté, Tomme de Savoie, Brillat-Savarin, old Jambon de Bayonne, Rosette de Lyon, Pâté en Croûte de canard and foie gras and fig chutney.

Mom likes Vin Jaune. I like Vin Jaune. The restaurant owner likes Vin Jaune. Nice

2005 Bernard Baudry Chinon Les Grézeaux
Double decanted 2 hours prior to consumption.
This was kicking. No one dared venture this was an 05! So much life in this. On the nose this is wild, savoury and salty: leather (the chewed baseball glove straps you munch on as a kid), subdued barnyard, slight oak spices, earthy and some hints of dark plums and red berries. This is intoxicating with deep layered smells happening. Wife loved this. Mom loved this. Restaurateur loved this. I loved this. The palate was screaming tannins when I popped it open but it settled down with air: chewy tannins, lovely acidity and a long finish on wilderness (herbs, feral and musk) and memories of crushed stones. Hot damn this is kicking!

We finished the evening with mom and La Gauloise Le Nectar des Druides. A little bit of a letdown. I like the yellow regular better and it’s 25 euros less. Live and learn.

Lovely evening. I love mom.

6 Likes

Lovely notes and that 05 Les Grez is stupendous.

1 Like

So nice.

Good son.

Does vin Jaune taste best in France?

I have found that most things taste better in France.

Taste is in the mouth of the be-drinker? (Wow I worked hard on this one…).

Vin jaune is like vegemite: you get it or you don’t. Even in France :wink:.

I do like vin Jaune.

I would like to try it in France one day.

1 Like

Is La Gauloise something similar to Chartreuse? Never even heard of it before.

It is. I had never heard of it either until a couple of months ago. My buddy caviste was tired of dealing with the rep for Chartreuse. Apparently, they hike up prices and ask you to augment volumes regularly. His buddy who’s somm at Georges Blanc sent a bottle his way and he decided to start carrying La Gauloise instead of Chartreuse.

I went in with his seal of quality that it was as good or better. It’s almost accurate… to my palate! I still like Chartreuse better but if you compare the basic yellow from both heritage, I think the Gauloise is as good or better. Green though is another matter. And, this Nectar des druides was a little bit of a letdown.

** Edited to reflect the accurate name of the Nectar des Druides.

1 Like

Very interesting. I am a big Chartreuse head but only like the green versions and 9eme. They have gotten pricier but as my consumption is pretty moderate I’ll keep on buying them for now.

1 Like