Balanced, non fruit bomb cabernets?

Lots of great suggestions so far and a lot of great knowledge shared, Thank you! One of the biggest issues I see and I am sure it is the same for everyone, is availability. So many of the suggestions are not available at stores in Florida. I have only one experience in ordering from other dealers and having things shipped to Florida. I placed my first order last week from Elden Selections but haven’t received it yet. I will have to start researching other retailers/distributors to find ones with better availability than what I can get from Total.

Check B-21 https://www.b-21.com/

It’s been about a decade since I visited the winery, but I thought White Rock did a very good job of providing balanced, elegant, and “old world-esque” Napa Cabs. They’re a producer when I taste others on the wine blind they often are stuck with a bit of a flip-flop noting they think it’s either Bordeaux or an “old school Napa producer”.

If money is not brought into the equasion, I love what Spottswoode was doing. I haven’t had the last 2 vintages. These are so balanced and delicious.

The best of the rest to me are Mount Eden and Ridge.

I like what Corison does but not as much as Mount Eden or Ridge Estate (or Montebello)

Old ones would be a larger list.

I am going to have to try Frogs Leap.

Lots of good suggestions above, and though many of them are outside your preferred price range, hopefully the reference is useful. But there is plenty of good cab in the $15-40 range. Mt Veeder is $35 at Total Wine. Sometimes they even carry Ridge’s Estate Cab for under $50 (or at least they used to) which is a steal.

You may get some good mileage out of Coonawarra cabs from Australia. Wynns black label is a perennial star at the $30 price point. Parker is good for $25. And Jim Barry’s The Cover Drive overdelivers for $15. From South Africa, Rustenberg’s John X Merriman should be under $20 and very nice.

Bordeaux has plenty for you, too, but to start you can get d’Armailhac for under $50 at Total Wine with coupons.

great call!

Look to Sonoma for wineries that produce Cabernets that may match the style of wine that you are looking for. Better QPRs also! Sonoma suggestions given so far are great but there are many more! A. Rafanelli or any Sonoma side Mayacamas mountain cabernet comes to mind.

B-21 in state is a great option but many of the wineries mentioned will ship directly to Florida.

Ruston, Frogs Leap, Calluna( Sonoma) and other now reguarly ship here. We have an open window now till April other than potential cold fronts out west.

I think this is usually in the $20s, but it’s an excellent value and choice. Great mixture of old world styling with some new world fruit.

CALIFORNIA
Hess Mt. Veeder
Clos du Val
Jordan
Silver Oak
J. Lohr Hilltop
Simi Landslide
Flora Springs
Trinchero Cloud’s Nest
Antica

AUSTRALIA
Leeuwin from Margaret River
Penley Phoenix
d’Arenberg Coppermine

Lots of versions that don’t get all spoofy, but vintage matters too, sometimes vintage matters over winemaker/winery.

Admittedly it’s been almost 10 years since I last bought a bottle so I’m sure your estimate is right. As you say, still great value at that price.

+1 on this - another good inexpensive ($15-20) Coonawarra cab. The alcohol can get high (15%) but it’s not over the top…

Thanks, I just ordered some wine from John. Seems like a great guy, can’t wait to try them!

Was unable to pick up the Ridge from Total, the computer says they had some, but we couldn’t find it. Will try again the next time I am there.

John has been a pleasure to deal with. I hope you enjoy the wines as much as I do.

I would add the Long Meadow Ranch Rutherford Estate Cab, 50% new oak and 13.5% alc. Beautiful wine and will remind you of the Napa wines from the mid to late 90’s. If you like Rutherford then seek this one out. Not sure they are sold at retail. I got mine through the club.

Also triple ditto on John Ruston and his wines. Our Florida group bought cases and cases of John’s wines.

I was going to say Bordeaux, but in that price range, Italian reds reign supreme (along with beaujolais).

Have you tried any highly regarded Chiantis? Try a 2016 Felsina Rancia riserva or Monsanto Il Poggio (2016 is reported to be great vintage) and see if it doesn’t scratch your itch.

Since you want to stay in the $15-$40 range I thought I would pass this on. A wine friend of mine who is old and wise and has had many of the best wines the world has to offer happened to be raving yesterday about a $35 Cab he had just had which is unusual for him…It was the 2016 Chateau Buena Vista Cab he was raving about…The NAPA NOT SONOMA…the Sonoma is about $14 and the Napa is about $35. There is 2017 available I noticed but 2016 was a better vintage so not so sure about the 2017 but might be worth a gamble if you can’t find the 2016.

Sandler

Check out Hendry. Under the radar winery that is technically in Napa Valley but is far enough west that it enjoys fog/breeze from San Pablo Bay. They are more traditional in their methods and make estate wines from quite a few different varietals. Their Zinfandels are really good too.