Back to Napa after 10 years

Going mid Oct for 3 days. I have appointments with lists I’m on. Greer, Macdonald and that new Realm Experience which seems pretty exciting. Considering other lists I’m on like Bevan and Turnbull. I like to discover a few new places too…want to go to places that require an appointment. Any suggestions for places that provide either a personal or over the top or incredible beauty? Thinking about Dunn or Arkenstone as I’ve never been. Staying in Yountville but will have a car and don’t mind driving.

Any restaurants worth checking out?

2 Likes

Tench. Checks all you boxes

5 Likes

Promontory is worth the 250 fee pp imo

Ketan Mody visit

Kinsman at Wheeler Farms if havent been exposed to Nigel and Shae’s wines

If open to alternate varietals a visit with Hardy is always tons of fun

4 Likes

Heard great things about Kinsman. You don’t need to be on the list?
What’s makes Promontory worth the 250…just the level of the wine?

Will look into Tench and Ketan Mody.
Thanks

2 Likes

I am not sure re list with Kinsman, but I bet Shae would totally be good w it. Theyre great people

Promontory you start with a bottle of krug then have barrel samples then have 3 vintages of promontory and a vintage of penultimate. So you certainly drink 250 in wine imo. Add on that it’s an amazing piece of property and kinda feels like what maybe a bruce wayne winery might look like. Obviously ive had great experiences there and im sure others exist who would say the opposite

5 Likes

Arkenstone is a beautiful facility and a nice view but they don’t refund their fee regardless of purchase size.

Strongly recommend Cimarossa. Awesome visit with really elegant wines.

Diamond Creek is also a great stop. See and walk all the vineyards, really get a feel for the terroir and how special of a parcel it is. Only downside is you don’t see the cellars or winemaking facility.

Wholeheartedly agree with visiting Ketan.

1 Like

Kapscandy is pleasant!

Napa Vintners Collective

Mayacamus in downtown.

Darioush is a good experience.

2 Likes

Kinsman aren’t doing tastings at the moment but you can try some of the other wines Nigel makes (Impensata is awesome)

If you want a fun tasting experience I’d recommend going to K Laz in yountville and do their optimum tasting. Can drink through some awesome wines Need an appointment of course

2 Likes

No winery is worth this fee.
None.
Nowhere.
This is delusional thinking.

9 Likes

Give L’Envolee a call! They were very nice this past BD.

2 Likes

Must: Brasswood for dinner. Have the fresh mozzarella.

Closer to your stay is CIA at Copia. Pretty decent.

2 Likes

Haha yea, see my second post where I state some may think opposite

It’s justified in my head based on the wine quality and price and would be far more expensive for me to try 5 vintages of promontory, but maybe im an exception

Would you go to chateau margaux for 250 to try 5 vintages? Rousseau? DRC?

Im not saying that I think promontory is as good as rousseau or DRC, just saying my opinion is that a level of experience exists that justifies 250 and for me promontory meets a mark that it must not for some

Fwiw you start with an entire bottle of Krug which is more than 250 at like every restaurant in the valley so maybe just tell yourself your going there for a bottle of Krug? :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Would also try to see Spottswoode, Favia, Rivers-Marie and Vine Hill Ranch if time permits…agree with others on paying $250 and personally have never understood the Harlan Hype…

It has been a few years since I was there, but I loved Farmstead at Long Meadow Ranch in St. Helena.

5 Likes

Restaurants

• Bistro Don Giovanni
  • Scala Osteria in downtown Napa (sister restaurant to BDG)
  • Morimoto Asia (dim sum) on same block as their main restaurant
  • Sky and Vine Rooftop bar at the Archer

Two locals spots

• Il Posto Trattoria
  • Empress M (next door to Napa Valley Wine & Cigar owned by forum members Carrie & Randy Bowman)
1 Like

We just got back last weekend - first trip since 2019. We went to Quintessa, Memento Mori, Lerner Project, Ovid, Lokoya, and Palmaz. Definitely would recommend all of them, but especially the middle four. We felt a little rushed at Palmaz, but otherwise it was still a great experience.

Karen’s list of restaurants are great. I would also add Ciccio to the list.

5 Likes

Been to Spottswoode and RM (met TRB) in the past.
VHR and Memento Mori also great suggestions. Anyone know the tariff for these tastings as well as Lerner Project. Thanks for all the suggestions on wineries and restaurants.

2 Likes

Hard to beat the views at Barnett up on Spring Mountain. And their wines are just phenomenal.

As for restaurants, I always try to stop by Charter Oak and Compline.

2 Likes

We had an excellent meal at Bottega when we visited in the fall. I would definitely go back there.

2 Likes

when you say entire bottle, im pretty sure they’re allocating 1 btl for 8 guests and spreading the loss over that-meaning over 2 groups of 4 people morning/afternoon.

it’d be fun if i was wrong. if i went with my wife and paid 500 which doesn’t get waived, i’d put their generosity to the test.

4 Likes