B-21 Ruined 2020 BDX - Summer Shipment

B-21 shipped my 2020 Troplong Mondot bottles (a futures order) upon receipt in 90 plus degree weather. All bottles show seepage. This is incredibly poor decision making in my opinion from what is supposed to be a respected retailer. When I called the rep (same day I saw the shipping notice email) I got a fairly rude response about saying I should have selected shipment to cold storage. I dont recall that even being an option when I ordered. I retorted that every other site I’ve ordered from confirms shipping when the bottles arrive…

Considering disputing the credit card charge.

5 Likes

I buy from them quite regularly and ‘hold in cold storage’ is always an option at checkout. Maybe not for futures?
Sorry to hear the issue- really no excuse for them for shipping FROM FLORIDA this time of year.
Hope you get some resolution.

2 Likes

The person packing your order was probably as confused as you were. What does it say about shipping in your original order confirmation, if you still have it?

2 Likes

There is a bill to and ship to address. The estimated shipping date is two days after the order which obviously wasnt going to happen for futures. UPS ground was listed as the method.

Envoyer kind of rolls the same way. If you choose the flat rate case shipping at checkout, they ship immediately regardless of weather. They will not schedule it. I guess you live and learn! Most people don’t know and don’t care.

3 Likes

My issue is that this approach is basically malicious. Especially for fine wine on futures. Perhaps we should all be responsible for physical shipping damage and the sellers can decide that it is too much work and cost to include any internal packaging in the box.

I dont see any excuse for taking action when common sense and years of experience clearly shows it is the wrong thing to do.

5 Likes

The shipper (B-21 in this case) should know better. I think most consumers would care if their bottles came with signs of seepage, though some might have to Google it.

2 Likes

Pretty shitty, especially with futures which not always have a hard date. Some of mine roll for an additional 6 months from vague ETA; that’s two seasons. They should have confirmed your shipping instructions given the sweltering heat wave ongoing. Pretty poor form, they should make right and lose the attitude.

3 Likes

Like what if he happened to have moved? Given the huge gaps I’ve seen on some of my 2020 arrivals, that’s not a stretch.

5 Likes

This is not the same B21 from the old days, it’s like a factory at this point. I posted a thread with my criticisms a year or two ago, after them being my go-to retailer for like 20 to 25 years. Sorry you experienced this. I might consider challenging on credit card if I reflected on whether I had any blame here for the shipping selection and date.

2 Likes

Yet another reason why purchasing en premeure doesn’t make any sense.

1 Like

I’m really sorry to hear this. I know many retailers mention in their T&C that they ask customers to sign a waiver before shipping in extreme weather, and I’m surprised that isn’t the case here. But even leaving the summer weather aside for a moment, it’s concerning the store didn’t contact the OP to let him know the long-term futures order had arrived. That strikes me as standard operating procedure…

4 Likes

Winebid does this. They won’t ship unless it’s cooler than 80 at shipping and delivery point UNLESS you waive it and send a separate email acknowledging that the shipment is on you for risk.

2 Likes

This is the right thing to do. Every futures order I’ve placed had a clear notification of arrival and confirmation prior to shipment.

2 Likes

no they don’t. They used to have a cold chain summer time option but that is gone. Shipments with Envoyer are always arranged via email and a packing list sent beforehand in my 8 years of experience with them

3 Likes

It’s malpractice in customer service. Short of failing to fulfill orders, it’s really one of the worst things I’ve heard of by a so-called wine retailer…

3 Likes

Vivino did the same thing with an order of mine. I ordered and immediately sent them an email requesting a hold since that wasn’t an option at checkout. No response.

I got an email says later saying they were prepping my order. I again requested a hold on my order. The next day I got the shipping notification. It’s premium champagne that shipped from FL to NC I’m whether that was well in the 80s. While there aren’t evident signs of seepage I have real concerns about the wine and the retailer isn’t responding to Vivino about it. The bottle was warm upon arrival.

Why would retailers in FL even consider shipments in the summer? Do people that order wine truly not care about shipping conditions most of the time?

1 Like

Not excusing but not all wine buyers understand that summer shipping is a bad idea.

That being said you would think most EP buyers would know so strange that the retailer would do that.

Tho based on Allie’s other thread maybe not from this one any more.

3 Likes

It’s a wine store where people make a living from the sale of fine wine. Shipping in Summer is not only unprofessional but moronic. I think the fact that the wines have come to you out of condition negates the sale. Dispute away.

The default should be shipping in cool weather; the exception if shipping in Summer should be with owner waiver. The fact that this is a Florida retailer is mind boggling.

One final thought. It was the state of Florida pushed by the aptly named Mel Dick that made it illegal for outside states to ship in to Florida. You might want to check if B21 was breaking the law when it shipped to your home state. That also would negate the sale.

2 Likes

Wouldn’t 80F still be a lot for wine shipping? You’d have to assume the inside of the truck would be much higher on the day of the delivery.