Australian Riesling Producers

My thoughts 18 months ago:

2008 d’Arenberg Riesling The Dry Dam - Australia, South Australia, Fleurieu, McLaren Vale (14/10/2014)
“2015” Sydney International Wine Show - stewarding notes; 11/10/2014-16/10/2014 (Blue Mountains, NSW): {screwcap, 11.5%} I’ll bet even d’Arenberg themselves are surprised how good this is; they have no ‘premium cuvee’ Riesling, and yet this has won trophies elsewhere. This has apple, leaf and honey-like aromas, beautifully aged; similarly on the palate which is offset by a talc-like texture. It’s light-bodied; perhaps a bit simple in flavour, but oh, how beguiling it is; surely at its peak, with acid now starting to fall away; it’s fairly even on the palate and has an attractive medium length finish. Better than the preceding Grant Burge offering, although I wouldn’t keep this longer now.

To the producers I 'd add Clonakilla and Helm in Canberra, with Bay of Fires, Pooley and Josef Chromy from Tasmania.
cheers,
Graeme
cheers

Haven’t had but a few of these but I feel confident in saying Larry Cherubino rocks. Haven’t had the wines in couple of years but what i did have was eye opening.

Have just opened the **08 Dry Dam** that Graeme is so enthusiastic about. This Riesling is spot on, I did decant for 30 mins but not really necessary I guess. Has a nice off green yellow color, very expressive nose and lovely acidity with green apple and hints of honeycomb sweetness. The 11 and `15 vintage are stacked away…$21 Cdn bargain.

The Vickery '16’s were released this week. Both stunning.

2016 Vickery EVR153ZMR Eden Valley Riesling: This was only bottled on Friday but already it feels like a complete wine. There are engaging aromatics of dried flowers, citrus and rainwater drawn from a galvo tank. It is delicate, pure and direct with fabulous posture and outstanding cut. It is bone dry with a saliva inducing finish. Fabulous stuff!

2016 Vickery WVR252CK Watervale Riesling: Shows a lot more restraint than the 2015 version. Has subtle whiffs of lime blossom, chalk and slate. It is fine and elegant in the mouth, loaded with citrus and possessing exquisite balance. For all of its elegance there is no shortage of intensity. So delicious now but will age.

Sorry to necropost, but couldn’t find another Australian Riesling thread.

Erin Larkin tastes through a few of the '22 Rieslings from both Eden and Clare Valley. Many or these are hard to get here in US, but surprisingly the Henschke Julius is available (which got 95 from Parker and 96 from Suckling) and so are a few outings from Pewsey Vale.

But perhaps even more cool, she had a tasting of over 80 Riesling producers in that event, which goes to show you just how dedicated the Australians are to their Riesling. And they’re all dry - heaven! :wink: Here in CA, a state with almost double the population, you’d be hard pressed to drum up even a quarter as many Riesling producers.

Been a big fan of Aussie Rieslings ever since I got introduced, but unfortunate can’t often find much of it here. They’re a shining example of how to vinify Riesling in a hotter new world climate. I’ll try to get a hold of that Henschke and report back.

I don’t think population or climate is really the issue. It’s the price point you can get for Riesling versus most other varietals, the amount of demand for Riesling, and the competition from so much good and inexpensive imported (mostly German) Riesling.

Sure, but they’ve managed to build that demand there out of the quality and style they make. I’m assuming they have the same access to cheap German Riesling as we have.

It’s an interesting question — can any of our Aussie Berserkers share how available German Riesling has been and at what kinds of prices over the last few decades?

Perhaps @Jeremy_Holmes can circle back.

I’ve heard the market is always upside down.

2 Likes

Really enjoyed Bay of Fires Riesling ‘22. Tasmanian. Like a fine Nahe trochen.

Interesting question.
Firstly I do not believe that German Rizza is a substitute for Australian Riesling. It’s apples and oranges. Recent GGs are tending towards Aussie Riesling but prices are ski high.
Kabinetts and Spatlese are carzy expensive her but there’s so much more RS in those wines.
I do think dry Australian Riesling is its own genre.

2 Likes

Was just talking to an ex-Australian winemaker based in LA who’s also lamenting how the Australian style is so hard to get here. She basically has to trick-blind all her American friends on Aussie Riesling as the bias of it being sweet is still so perversive, and on top of that from a “weird” region. Most have no idea Australia even makes Riesling, even less so perhaps the worlds best in that category. Once they try it, they love it, of course. But then the feedback loop isn’t there’s as there isn’t anything in the shops to buy, so it falls into the corners of the mind again.

This is where California Riesling needs to be. We must stop trying to emulate German style Riesling here with RS - we don’t have the climate for that style. Leave it to the Germans.

The best Australian Riesling I had was Bay of Fires from Tasmania. (I only drink dry Riesling).

Is the only Aussie varietal I drank in my month there.

1 Like

Which producer, do you remember?

Cody does great dry and RS Rieslings at Desire Lines. So both can be done well.

1 Like

If you are into australian rieslings we have multiple vintages in our current auction.
https://auctions.wineauctionroom.com/m/view-auctions/catalog/id/126

1 Like

I love Cody’s wines and dogmatic approach to any wine isn’t good. I should have nuanced my post a bit more.

I’m just surprised at the amount of sweet Rieslings I taste form CA producers.

Bay of Fires is the producer

1 Like

Too bad it can’t be gotten here, would love to try. 95 pts in Aussie press.