Auction craziness!

This is kinda sad for those who enjoy the wines. I had a chance to drink my share back in the early 2000 era. Then you could get these wines for no money. Enjoy one of the best Burgs out there while DRC was going crazy in price. Roumier too. Now those days are past.

There will be another superstar here soon. It is fun to speculate who that will be. Until then, tasting these wines will be only memories or due to the largess of a rich friend.

It is basic auction theory. If you have an auction with many participants and active bidding, where everyone knows the “market” value of the target item, it takes the addition of only one person who makes a mistake for the price to exceed market value. If there are two people who make mistakes, then it can get really crazy. Add on to that the fact that “available at retail” in New York versus Padukah may be different, plus the convenience of being able to buy it and have it delivered without ever leaving the comfort of your home or office, etc.

There are plenty of reasons it happens. I have even knowingly bid more than retail a few times (birth year wines) because I didn’t want to bother spending hours trying to find the half dozen bottles available somewhere in the US at retail and buy those just to save a few bucks, or use Winesearcher to buy from a sketchy retailer. I would rather buy from a sketchy auction house. The devil you know . . .

And besides, this whole discussion of available at retail is off the mark. I just searched the free version of Winesearcher for Truchot Charmes. Without a vintage. Three bottles listed. Two 1990s on Winebid and one 1988 magnum at a Zachy’s auction. Maybe it’s just that the Truchot Charmes is being sold for more than people think it should cost, or think it is worth, but not actually more than “fair market value.” If I want 2002 Truchot Charmes (not particularly but I wouldn’t mind) and if I have more money that I know what to do with (if my Bubbe had baytzim), then I buy the one bottle that I can find.

http://www.klwines.com/Auction/Bidding/AuctionBidDetail.aspx?sku=1276679

you’ve got to be kidding me…

The pie auction leaves me speechless

Did I bid too high? [snort.gif]

Somebody screwed up.

Would’ve needed at least 2 people screwing up.

holy shit [shock.gif] I love Foillard but gat damn!

The KL auctions tend to be very strong lately. Stronger than most other auctions I check in on. Especially with French wines. Anyone know why?

Judging by the bid history it looks like it was actually 3 people involved. Some fantastic one-upsmanship going on as well with $75-$90 increases at a time. Truly remarkable. This is one of those times where I wish K&L allowed comments on the auctions. Horrible I know but highly entertaining to think about.

according to ct/winemarketjournal, this has hammered over $100 before.
Just gonna put it out that whoever comes in second on this auction is welcome to my two bottles at 20% off the final hammer price!

So it’s just an ego thing at this point right?

2010 Burlotto “Monvigliero” Barolo sold for $138.61 per bottle on K&L

http://www.klwines.com//Auction/Bidding/AuctionBidDetail.aspx?sku=1276670

That is insane. I have a couple 3L I should list… haha

http://www.klwines.com/Auction/Bidding/AuctionBidDetail.aspx?sku=1273734

This one a few weeks ago floored me as well - no rhyme or reason and plenty available at retail for a substantial discount to where it hammered…strange behavior indeed.

From the Tasting Note for the 3.14:

Vinous: "Deep ruby. Heady, expansive aromas of dark berry compote, incense and potpourri, with a strong mineral component and a hint of licorice. Strikingly concentrated yet lithe, offering sweet blackberry and cherry flavors that turn spicier with air. The floral quality repeats on the finish, which refuses to let up. > This wine should repay at least another decade of patience and likely much more than that.

Maybe the bidder is assuming the wine is going to pay for itself.

a very popular wine store in paris has 09 3.14 still sitting on the shelf at 36 euro per bottle

The wine will literally make its own money for the next ten years. Probably worth it.

Fortunately, a lot of Truchot is not with the rich but with the people who bought them when the prices were reasonable and have held onto them. These are the long-time Truchot lovers. I doubt a lot of these people have been selling Truchot. I know I have not.