At What Price Point Will You Boycott The 2008 Taittinger Comtes?

I look forward to the Berserkers 2008 Comtes buy-it-from-the-UK group buy thread

Magic Johnson, is that you?

The only offer Iā€™ve gotten is the Total Wine mentioned above (199 for 1, 189 for 6+).

I think at 125/bottle Iā€™d probably buy a case without tasting it, at 150 Iā€™d buy a bottle to sample and then make some decisions.

If others will pay $190, god bless ā€“ as they say, ā€œThatā€™s what makes a market.ā€ [cheers.gif]

Champagne has always been cheaper in the UK (less so for grower stuff, Iā€™ve found), but Iā€™m going to be following price in London very closely. This is my favorite big marque champagne (outside of Krug, which fills a very different niche), so Iā€™d love to buy the 2008, but at $200 itā€™s a different consideration.

William Kelley (Parker) just hung a 98 point score on itā€¦

ā€œthe finest Comtes de Champagne since the brilliant 2002ā€

Iā€™ll just wait to see what Envoyer and Lopa offer it at. If itā€™s over $135, Iā€™ll probably pass completely. Envoyer offered the 2006 at $119.

Gave it the same score a year ago, so I donā€™t think this is particularly revelatory! But itā€™s true that I havenā€™t left much space for the othersā€¦ champagne.gif

Finally saw some looks at pricing. I think youā€™ll see it between $179 and $219 depending on what a retailer really wants to make.

There isnā€™t much of it currently in the US, not sure how much more is in Europe, wonder if William or Brad know 2008 production. Seems like closer to 150k bottle level than some of the heavier 300k bottle years.

Really look forward to trying it.

I guess itā€™s good that it didnā€™t get 100 points or it would be $500 a bottle.

If they want to sell an equal amount of 07, how about bundling 1 of each 07/08 for $250. I wonā€™t participate in a 50 to 100% markup based on greed for a vintage. Despite a 98 score Im guessing tā€™s just not THAT much better than other wines.

Any idea on 2008 production William?

So our favorite critic scored it 98 on two separate events. Iā€™m excited, provided the price is ā€œreasonableā€. Most likely it will come out initially expensive and then work its way down. This is a high production wine. Lots to go around and minimal Restaraunt purchases

Itā€™s 150k to 300k bottles how is that high production? We will see what William or Brad say but Iā€™d bet 2008 is lower than the usual low side.

It really depends on how much folks want to pay for that specific bottling. Iā€™ll happily shift my buying over to some other more reasonably priced Champagnes if the wine comes out above $150. Letā€™s also not forget that premium wines may be struggling if our economy continues to tank under current shifts. I think companies that are considering ratcheting up the price may need a little reminder that when money is tight, luxury wines are the first place many can comfortably cut back. It would be a bummer, but Iā€™ll drink the Pierre Peters BdB for $59 all year long if my budget needs to come downā€¦and tete de cuvĆ©e seems like an easy starting place to cut back on the wine budget.

LOVE LOVE LOVE the avatar. People who donā€™t know wine will be like WHAT?

Frankly Iā€™m tired. I have articles from two and three years ago talking about the ā€œimminentā€ release of the 2008 Comtes. Iā€™ve cheered for it on this board and others, and with my wine merchants, and with people directly at the company. I had put aside budget a year ago and that is now almost gone on purchases of Vilmart and others. I feel that now they canā€™t winā€¦if they release at a good price people will be like ā€œIā€™m so tired of waiting for thisā€ and if they release at a high price people will feel betrayedā€¦

Pretty soon they are going to have to label it Late Disgorged.

$119 a case. $125 half a case. $135 one bottle. $135.99 Iā€™ll just buy more Marguet, Bouchard, Etienne Calsac, Laherte FrĆØres, MoussĆ© Fils, Vilmart and Ployez-Jacquemart; I hear there is a glut of Champagne.

Any idea when the 2008 Ployez-Jacquemart Liesse dā€™Harbonville is due to be released (or the 2002)?

As much as Iā€™m happy to jabber and read about 2008 Comte as nauseum, 2008 Ployez-Jacquemart Liesse dā€™Harbonville is like Fight Club. Whatā€™s the first rule?

Certainly better than that mass produced, conspicuous consumption, Veblen good, LVMH shit. I do think I like no-malo Champagne for aging.

If Comtes was a Veblen good, this thread would be going very differently.

Iā€™m pretty sure the people posting here arenā€™t your average customer (although we do like a good bargain):
https://www.wineintelligence.com/downloads/us-portraits-2018/

LVMHā€™s entire brand is Veblen goods. At a certain point, I do think that is what this thread is about. The question could also be posed, ā€œWill you boycott 2008 Taittinger if they try to price it like LVMH?ā€ I also donā€™t buy any wines made by LVMH. That said, Iā€™ve also stopped buying PYCM. Certainly hype from enthusiasts builds the conspicuous consumption from the nouveau riche. How else are you going to show your class, taste, and refinement to the haute bourgeoisie?