At What Price Point Will You Boycott The 2008 Taittinger Comtes?

Just got an offer from Total $199.00/$189.00 on six

I like me some Comtes, but at these prices it’s an easy pass.

Yep

I just got the same offer. Pass for me.

TW

I don’t understand, I thought the prices weren’t going to be released until next month?

Wild prices. Not planning to drop $160+ on Comtes. I’ll wait.

+1

And the regular TW price is $230.

We’re gonna look back nostalgically at the endless $109.99 offers for '06 Comtes

How about buying cases of it at M&S for £56 all in!

After reviewing this thread it’s obvious that quite a few people were really anticipating the release of this wine. It’s also obvious that quite a few are very disappointed with what at least now appears to be a substantial increase in price, enough to be a deal breaker.

I think it’ll be interesting to see the UK price on 1/10 when it’s released. I’m guessing it will be much lower than the US, which if the case, will show who is really profiting from this champagne.

Well, the talk of higher prices already scared me off. I took some of the money I had budgeted for 2008 CdC and bought some 2006 Vilmart CdC I found at a good price instead.

Not sure what’s going on with vilmart cdc as I recently picked up some cases of the 07 for a crazy price.

Available to use as an avatar.

No idea. They’re both up there as some of my absolutely favorite Champagnes so I’d much rather buy discounted VCdC than +50% cost TCdC.

For me $100 has been a “stop buying” price for a large number of favorite wines over the years, including Chave Hermitage, Jamet Cote Rotie, Montevertine Le Pergole Torte, Fontodi Flaccianello, Paolo Bea Sagrantino Pagliaro, G. Mascarello Barolo Monprivato, and too many Bordeaux to list, although Smith Haut Lafitte and Pontet Canet are notables). I actually stop buying in quantity in the $79-range, but will sometimes still grab a bottle or two of long-term favorites all the way up to $100. Currently there are a number of wines that I’ve bought for years which are just NOW pushing into that same no-go range (Fontodi Vigna del Sorbo, Isole e Olena Ceparello, Casanova di Neri Tenuta Nuova).

What, no allowance for inflation?

Your quoting is messed up. The struck out part was not part of my post.

What I meant is that I think people will regret not buying, if they really love the wine. Maybe that’s not true at $200, but at $150 I suspect it is.

I am sure that Kobrand is fascinated by this thread, as they are looking for information how to price the 2008. I hope they recognize that we are not really representative of the Comte buyer, who will pay far less than us berserkers.