At least lobster has been defying inflation

The last 3 weeks it’s been the cheapest I’ve seen since well before covid hit. $6.88, $7.99, and $6.88 on the last three Sundays.

I might get tired of it soon. And by soon I mean next year if I keep having it every week.

Where about at that price, plan on making some next weekend

99 ranch in Jersey City

Just bought some for dinner tonight

1 Like

We hit record highs in Maine late spring, well over $10/lb and lobster rolls starting at $20. It’s now down to more sensible pricing. $4.99 at Gurnet Trading in Brunswick, a thousand yards from my house. I’ve been known to indulge at that price.

Dan Kravitz

It hadn’t been below $14.99 here for a few years. I’m making up for my time of lobster abstinence.

1 Like

Wife is allergic, no lobster here even at $0.50 a pound.

1 Like

Coast of North Carolina

Funny that my good friend pulled in 70 lobsters in KW (commercial license) Sold them for $7 a tail.

I picked up three small ones at ShopRite yesterday for $8.99 a pound, drove directly to Metlife Stadium, and cooked them in the parking lot. Nothing like fresh lobster tail dipped in browned butter melted on the Weber Kettle. They said I could order 3 pounders for $14.99 but it would take a few days.

I’m not a shellfish aficionado (alas…), but is it not the case that smaller generally means that the meat is more tender?

Not in NYC, unfortunately. $19.99/lb at Fairway, though they had it on sale for $9.99/lb two weeks ago.

1 Like

It is a classic trade-off. The smaller ones are pain ass to eat, but I think generally taste better. However, a long time ago, we had a fancy dinner with my mother at Del Frisco’s in Manhattan. They had a special on giant lobster tails. I think they weighed 4 pounds.

My mother, who grew up in a strictly kosher home and kept a strictly kosher kitchen herself, really like lobster when she went out to dinner. I think it cost about $100. We insisted that she get it for dinner. She relented, and it was about the size of a pound cake. It was extremely flavorful, but not especially tender. It was more meaty. Most people would probably prefer the small one, but this was more fun. There were probably 10 people at the table and we all ended up sharing it.

1 Like

This reminds me of Portnoy’s Complaint. I had a great aunt who kept kosher in her home, but she also loved pork ribs at the annual July 4th bbq.

1 Like

Pork was a Shanda, except sweet and sour pork at the Chinese restaurant, but seafood was a different kettle of fish!

1 Like

Decided to take advantage of the shoprite sale on lobsters @$8.99/lb. Asked the fish monger what he had on the higher end of the weights, since anything outside the sale range jumped to $15/lb. He went in back and pulled out some 1.5-1.75 lb lobsters that looked great and still gave us the sale price. Usually on the soft shells this time of year the meat can be a bit less, these were packed full. We split three between the two of us.