Are you smarter than a somm? 20 question quiz

19/20. Missed a Spanish wine question.

18/20 and I missed the exact same two. I coin flipped on a couple.

17 correct but could have easily have been 14. Got lucky. Texas…really!

18/20
Messed up on the Gironde question and the very last question about variety permitted in some F-something DOCG.

Come on Jim, Pinot Grigio is not allowed in Franciacorta… neener

19/20. Missed the really easy one. Vendange…sheesh.

19/20
No knowledge about Portugal Doc’s.

20/20, but let’s be honest, how many of the lawyers on this board thought that they were smarter than somms before the quiz showed up? 853/853 :slight_smile:

20/20, although I had to guess the Missouri one. Once again I’m puzzled why these most random AVA questions are included, but I guess some of the European questions weren’t of great significance either…

20/20
No Gironde or Missouri questions.

Messed Gironde!.. 18/20

and could not be a sommelier…

Norton!

[bleh.gif]

Same here. 19/20 blowing the “Who was the father of biodynamics” question.

15/20

Looks like the questions varied, but I did miss the biodynamic question, Missouri AVA question, and the river/estuary.

I didn’t know that but I did know the East River is a tidal straight.

And yes, the estuary question was one of the ones I got wrong.

1. One was a dumb mistake - I knew it was not a river but answered wrong anyway.

All I can say is that next time I’m in a restaurant I’m asking the somm about coastal ecology. And if he/she doesn’t have the facts, I’m complaining to the management.

Speaking of somms, I did see something interesting last night. We were in a place called Hillstone on 54th last night and while the wine list was unimpressive and the somm didn’t know much about wine, they had a copy of Emily Post’s Etiquette sitting out by the waiter’s station.

So did you need a perfect “20” to become a Somm?

19/20, got the Franciacorta question wrong.

20/20. Fun enough quiz.