Are "Off Wine Days" a Real Thing? If so, why?

Funny, truthful, iconoclastic, and brutal…all rolled into one. champagne.gif

Multiple people on the same day? It must be contagious!

I’ve definitely experienced this - bottle after bottle, another trip to the cellar, still not right, with no obvious explanation. Thankfully it is relatively rare. Very frustrating especially when I’ve set my mind on something older and better.

Yes, I agree [cheers.gif]

A collective palate off day for OP and all guests? [snort.gif]

if the food eaten whacked the palates? Just speculating since we now can’t blame the moon. I know Sarah has a great palate. Wasn’t being mean.

1 Like

Not offended! But I did address your two suggestions that in my OP and subsequent posts by saying 1) all four of us experienced it, so it wasn’t just my palate being off, and 2) most of the bottles were tasted without food, so it wasn’t a pairing issue.

Yeah, I’ve been to a few tastings where everybody agreed that none of the bottles shined. They weren’t off / flawed, they were just kinda muted and uninteresting. I can’t really explain it, but I suspect the founders of biodynamics experienced the same phenomenon and created their own explanation.

Happily, I’ve been to other tastings where even the most humble wine excelled. So I guess it all evens out.

I’d own a lot less wine if the first scenario was very frequent.

The only thing mean would have been that ingredient, taking out champagne.
Was sure about no mean intentions, you always keep a good tone [cheers.gif]

Given Sarah’s thoughtful addressing of the potential factors at play (all tasters with experience shared the sensation, bottles tried without food, no one sick or too much the night before), I like Rodrigo’s suggestion best from a strictly logical viewpoint. Maybe it’s because I’ve been binging Lupin this weekend, but some endogenous issue with wine #1 could offer an explanation for the subsequent depressed performance. It would affect all tasters and could stunt the wines that followed. TCA even occurred to Sarah on wine #2. But it needn’t be that, although I can’t say I’ve experienced an issue like that with wine (miracle berries do come to mind though).

For what it’s worth, I opened 3 bottles last night under slightly different circumstances:

1. 2019 Bonnezeau La Montagne
  2. 2019 Domaine Valette Macon Villages
  3. 2019 Guffens Heynan Macon-Pierreclos premier jus de chavigne

The first showed a lot more natty than I had hoped and my wife just didn’t enjoy it. The second had some frizzante and actually came off quite similarly. The third was very good, but perhaps not as precise as my expectation. Point being, I expected to but didn’t love any of them and a big cold front subsequently blew in overnight. Today the Chenin is much nicer. I’ll circle back to the other two this evening.

I’m a non believer in the bio calendar at this point in time, but an experiment like Yaccov’s could be fun to try.

1 Like

All well and good, but my iPhone calendar says it wasn’t any of 4 types of days, Yaccov’s source says leaf day, but in Toronto it was a fruit day.

Canadian site. Realise that Sarah is in the greater Philly area, but that’s like a Southern Canadian burb.

Just an aside - many buy wines made under a biodynamic method & calendar - Is it a bridge too far to also presume it may follow suit for when best to consume? Not that I’m a die hard, just a moderate believer.

Perhaps some Feng Shui adjustments in the home. Damn, I’m feeling more like Victor all the time.

You think hurtling through space at 40,000 feet at 600mph has nothing to do with it?

Not picking on you, Philip, but the “moon causes tides, why can’t it impact a barrel of wine, or a person” logic is trotted out all the time to justify “lunar calendar” thinking, and misses a critically important point: the force that drives ocean tides exists because there is enough of a differential in gravitational pull from the moon across the earth’s diameter (12,000km). That tidal force is proportional to the distance across which it works. So a barrel of wine, which has dimensions around 1m, has a lunar tidal force across that dimension which is 0.000008% of the tidal force that generates planetary tides of a few feet. And even that ignores the fact that a barrel of wine, or your brain, or your tongue, or whatever proponents of this notion think is being affected, is not a thin layer of fluid ocean surrounding a solid earth. Between there being no analog to ocean tides in your brain or taste buds or wine barrel, and the tidal force being many orders of magnitude less, this idea of “phases of the moon” needs to be laid to rest once and for all.

To put it in perspective: someone sitting 6 feet away from you creates a tidal force across your brain about 8,000 times the tidal force caused by the moon across your brain.

1 Like

Sorry, Alan but you’re dismissiveness is not well grounded. The American Association for the Advancement of Science reports research showing that lunar cycles can affect both sleeping patterns and menstrual cycles.

I suppose that’s possible, but the low air pressure and humidity and background noise (!) are the commonly accepted explanations.

That’s a really fascinating article (really! not being sarcastic), but reading it, it seems to suggest a connection among cycles of moonlight, sleep, and menstruation, not attributing lunar gravitational forces to them.

1 Like

Alan, please don’t put words in my mouth or make assumptions about what I am implying. “why can’t it impact a barrel of wine” is not something I said.

My only reason for mentioning the moon’s gravity is because it is an actual scientific fact vs the made up astrology based seasonal tasting. I agree with you on the minimal impact of gravity on the body and have removed that from my original post.

I will say that when encountering a badly corked bottle, it takes my senses awhile to recover. Same with heavy brett. Oxidation, for some reason, not so much.