Archetype Wines for $150-350/bottle (drinking well now)

Premox

You could certainly throw in a youngish white burg, plenty of excellent 1er crus from recent years in that price range. 2011 Lafon Charmes was great somewhat recently. Otherwise it’s a crapshoot on the premox-era white burgs, and it’s gotten very hard to find older ones at good prices.

10-15 year GG rieslings could fit the bill, have had great 09s from Emrich Schonleber and Schafer Frohlich.

01 prum ws auslese.

Older chave blanc an option but white rhone is probably near the end of the priority list.

Thank you for the suggestions. Just a red case, which I failed to mention up front!
This is what I put together with an expanded budget, across mainly 2 retailers:

Napa: 2016 Greer, 1993 Abreau Madrona
Bordeaux: 1989 Lynch Bages, 2006 VCC
Rhone: 2016 Jamet Cote Rotie, 2010 Chave Hermitage
Burgundy: 2002 Bouchard Beze, 2012 Lucien Griotte
Barolo: 2008 Conterno Francia, 2011 Rinaldi Tre Tine
Champagne: 2008 Cristal, 2008 Taittinger Comtes

A lot of these seem too young or structured.

I think Greg made a good call for 2004 VCC. It’s a very good wine and more ready than 2006.

2008 is a pretty young Conterno. Can you find white label Giacosa for your price range? Like 98 or 00 Falletto? (I’m guessing the 96 and 99 are too expensive.)

On Burg, if you are looking for archetypes, I’d swap out that Griotte and look for older Lafarge or D’Angerville per suggestions above.

Instead of young Jamet, look for older Gonon or Faurie or Sorrel Greal maybe to stay in price range?

I would go for a lesser year that’s more mature. Of all the wines I collect, Chave is the one I enjoy most in off years. 2002 is beautiful and well within the budget. Other possibilities are 1987, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1996, 1997. Of course if bigger years fall into the budget they could be great options as well.

This is a good call. I figured it would be too expensive but maybe not. I haven’t had the first 3 in many years, but now is definitely a sweet spot for well stored 94, 96, 97. Especially the latter 2 IMO.

I like taking credit for things, but this was not me :slight_smile: I don’t drink enough right bank to have such an opinion, but I think 2004s have been drinking great for a while, and they can be had relatively cheap. 89s are certainly better, but they’re going to be vastly more expensive and there’s another 15 years of worry about provenance. Even I have 2004s I bough on release, and I’m not that old. neener

I generally think looking for either the most famous possible grand cru (Beze!!) or the best year (82! 89!) is a mistake; it’s the wrong way to approach it. I’d much rather have a great 1er cru Vosne/Chambolle from 2002 than a Bouchard Beze; a wine I’ve had a number of times and find utterly uninteresting. When I started drinking I did a bit of the same thing and kept wondering why “grand cru” Jadots didn’t do much for me.

Please suggest an alternative to the 2002 Bouchard Beze at Benchmark for ~$300, or another retailer at ~$300 all-in (with tax!)

I’ve had three bottles of the 2004 VCC in the last 12 mos. an excellent buy, and like half the price of the new releases.

Oh, s#%*. It was Rob! Hi Rob - good call.

Who the Phuck is Rob? :wink:

It’s not a bad option. Do folks know if the Bize 2010 Latricieres is open like some 2010s have been?

https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/dom+simon+beze+grand+cru+latricieres+chambertin+gevrey+cote+de+nuit+burgundy+france/2010/usa

When it is good, it is brilliant, but many were damaged by heat in transit.

Hahahahaha. (I’ve never called you that before.)

You are robal though, which I always respect.

1994 is drinking very well - had one couple of months ago. Was barely within the price range from Sommpicks when I bought it (no affiliation on my part)

Would also recommend 2002 and 2008 as possibilities

Personally, I’d rather drink an 08 Drouhin Petits Monts than an 02 Bouchard Beze.

Jason and I had the 94 a couple years ago - it’s not as good as the 95, but it’s classic Chave that’s ready to go.

I (or rather, Ron Kramer) must’ve gotten lucky then

swapped the 2002 Bouchard Beze for 2002 Lambrays
2010 Chave is locked in already, fortunately or unfortunately
Picked up an 2004 VCC for myself [cheers.gif]

We can open your bottle of VCC while I sit on my half case. [cheers.gif]