Anyone using Weinboxes?

I don’t know if this link will work, but here is a photo of my setup. I have 8 boxes stacked with no issues - very sturdy. I can access any bottle in any box through the door without having to ever unstack. Yes, you sometimes have to remove more bottles to get to the one you want, but it is a LOT easier than having to unstack a bunch of cardboard, open a box, and potentially remove a top row of six bottles to get under to the one you want.

To Roy’s question, my cellar is mostly Burgundy and I have yet to find that I cannot fit 12 in a weinbox. Champagne is a different story. Unless it is what I’d call a “standard” Champagne bottle, I usually have to stop at 10, and it’s more like 8 for Krug or CdC. Same thing with magnums – you can fit 6 standard mags, but maybe only 4 or 5 if they are weird. Note: German Riesling mags don’t fit at all, unless you have them in the middle and don’t mind the very top of the bottle sticking out the “window” of the box.

Scott, the photo isn’t working. Can’t you post it directly here?

Glad this thread got re-upped; it looks like these are exactly what I need to get boxes off the floor. Just ordered some.

+1

I’m curious, too. I have a lot of wine in a friend’s passive cellar that has extremely high humidity and cardboard weakens over time there. It looks like I could use a couple of these on the bottom of each stack, making access to the bottom cases easier and reducing the weight that has to be borne by the bottom-most cardboard boxes.

Let’s see if this works…
wine rack.jpg

Wow! That’s yours? It looks so . . . neat.

Scott, thanks for the pic. Will proceed to order a bunch.

Some arrived today, I need more. [truce.gif]

showed these to my wife and I was instructed to purchase some once the basement cleanup and paint project is complete. these should look a heck of a lot neater than the haphazard assemblage of different wine rack types currently in use.

I have 12 Weinboxes for overflow storage outside our basement passive cellar. They are on a dolly that perfectly fits three stacks four high. The ability to move the entire group easily is very helpful. It has a weight load capacity of 660 lb. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JYH3RHC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Haha - yep! At my off-site. I’ve vowed to stay organized after moving my whole collection earlier this year.

Yeah, my second order was placed within days of receiving my first. I should have made a bigger order from the beginning.

BTW, if anyone in OC is curious about these, I’m happy to show mine off. Just send me a message.

I filled 8 and have them neatly stacked 2 high under a table near the racking. one more to fill. [cheers.gif]
Sure beats looking in a box of upside down bottles. I previously used file boxes before I built racking which would hold a case for moving and storage.

I have 8 of these in the winery (two stacks 4 high). They could go higher.

The only caution I’d have is user-error based- I had the sides bow out a little when I overfilled one and also when I didn’t quite have one locked in correctly. Nothing broke, but they weren’t stable in their stacks. That being said, I’ll get more for the house to stack our never-ending stacks of rando bottles that don’t make it to the warehouse/ fridges / or winery

All mine have a little bow in them since i fill them all to the max (And sometimes over) and have them sitting individually with no stacking on the shelf. I think they intend for them to be stacked side by side TIGHT so they all spread the load and keep each other in check.

Yeah, some of mine bow, but you are correct that distribution of the weight is key. So, the solution (at least for me) is to put another (full) box on top while holding in the sides. The downward pressure stops the bowing. (Then stacking more next to those, etc.)

I need a second order, then a third, then a forth. [snort.gif]

I’m reorganizing my cellar and would be happy to organize a group buy for people in the Portland, OR area. Drop me a PM if you’re interested.

I have been using these for a couple of years in my off-site. Have about 3 dozen, stacked 6 or 7 high. Totally stable at this height. In fact, I’m a lot more confident in these than in cardboard boxes which are not that strong for stacks greater than three or 4. Lots of different shape bottles in them, but the fattest bottles can be hard to fit in groups of 12. With thinner bottles I can get it more – I think I have 15 bottles of German Riesling in one if I remember correctly.

Yes it’s slightly a drag to get bottles out through the little door … but so much easier than unstacking tons of cardboard boxes that I’ve never been bothered by it. Plus I use index cards in the slot on the door to keep track of contents. That is excellent.

John - these will work well for you, a bit of moisture will have no effect on the plastic :slight_smile:.

I bought mine from Portland Wine Storage – Thomas there (tom@portlandwine.com) is super helpful. You Oregon guys can probably just go pick them up, or at least save on shipping.

Quick question - did you pay $28 per box? That’s the price on the link to purevinewines.com from Portland Wine Storage website.

http://purevinewines.com/Wine-Gear?product_id=70

bought mine from Portland Wine Storage – Thomas there (tom@portlandwine.com) is super helpful. You Oregon guys can probably just go pick them up, or at least save on shipping.