Anyone using Weinboxes?

I ended up getting six. Kind of wish I ordered more. Would have saved a little on shipping.

I have a heck of a time fitting Oregon Pinot or Turley bottles in quantities of 12. It’s about 10-12 unless you want the other crates sitting on your wine bottle below.

Yeah. I already placed a second order :slight_smile:

I ordered some Weinbox samples and am very happy with them. My only gripe is that you can’t fit 12 bottles of Champagne in a box, but I can live with that.

I am now planning a large bulk purchase in order to bring the cost down significantly. If anyone in the SF bay area is interested, please PM me.

I’m also thinking of placing a large order and live in LA. I’d be glad to split the order with anyone that will pickup in Los Angeles with a minimum of 10 units. Please let me know.

So if you had a bunch of loose bottles of 1-3 you wouldn’t stack them in there since it’d be hard to access?

I’ve been using them for less than a year, but so far I have found it to be easier than I expected to pull bottles without unstacking the whole thing. It does depend on the specific set of bottles and how they’re packed. But most of the time I can manage to get what I want without too much trouble. Every once in a while, I do need to pull the stack out and dig through from the top. But it’s still a big improvement over my previous setup (cardboard boxes), where I had to unstack things every single time.

so if you pull the stack out you gotta pull all the other boxes out from over it right?

Yes, but I only have the boxes stacked 4 high, and the full stack of 4 is easy enough to slide across the floor in my offsite. So I pull the whole stack of 4 boxes out, lift off whichever I need in order to access what I want, and then slide them back in when I’m done. It’s not as easy as racks, but it’s not bad. Taller stacks might make it more difficult; 4 is the tallest I can stack them in my locker.

I have 9 arriving this week for the 10 cases on the floor. $154 including shipping.

How about 7?

I have most of my wine packed in wood boxes and lay-flat (6 over 6) cardboard boxes, though a lot of recent arrivals are in styro stacked on their side. Sounds like these would be a huge improvement over what I have now where I often have to move 5 or 6 boxes to get at the box on the bottom.

The part that seems hard to me is filling and emptying a box through that little door. If the box is full, can you get at the top bottles through that door? Can you load a box with 12 bottles just through that door?

BTW where have people found the lowest prices on these boxes? (Feel free to PM.)

Bundle of 9 boxes. $135 + $26 shipping.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N91UQG3/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That’s still Domaine. I was hoping for another source.

Looks like Max has a better price on 100 or more (though he doesn’t say what shipping is):

I have about 2 dozen of these. I find them immensely useful for storing the overflow of stuff that doesn’t fit in my limited racking down in the basement.

I grabbed a steel shelving rack from HD and with 6 shelves, i can fit all 24 on the rack. They claim the rack will hold several thousand pounds so its solid. With having them on the shelf, i can slide just that crate out.

IMG_20170725_014838718.jpg

Why do you need to pull them out? Is it that much easier to access one of these boxes from the top than from the front? I am thinking of stacking them because of my limited space. I assumed one of the benefits of these boxes is that you don’t have to access them from the top.

Ken, the crates do have a little hatch on each end that you can grab wines from but you’re limited to just the wines right in front of the opening unless you pull all the wines out to get to what you want. If your wine happens to be there, fine, but otherwise you gotta go in from the top. Plus i have the space in my basement to set it up this way. But i understand that some folks dont and so stacking is the better solution for them. Also, since i dont stack, i can get 14-16 bottles per crate since they can protrude from the top slightly and not impede on storage in the shelving unit.

1 Like

Have to? That’s really my question. If I only fill it to where I can still put another one on top, then I want to get a bottle that is on the top, can I reach in the front door and get it? Or do I have to pull out bottles below the one I want so that the one on top drops down in order to get it out the front door?

Hi
I’m interested in the Weinbox primarily to store larger burgundy 750ml, larger champagne 750ml, oddball larger 750ml bottles and magnums. These are such a PITA to cellar other than keeping them in magnum cardboard boxes.

Can someone please give some input on how many of these can fit in the Weinbox?

Examples:
La Chablisienne 2014 bottles (definitely one of the larger burgundy bottles)
Taittinger Comtes de Champagne
Alban Syrah
Jose Michel Special Club magnums

Also, how much interest in buying minimum quantity 20 if I can get the pricing to $13 (including shipping)?

Thx
RPK

I think this will probably depend on the shapes/sizes of the bottles and how they’re arranged. I don’t know if I’ve ever encountered a situation in which I was absolutely unable to get to what I wanted through the hatch. But sometimes it requires pulling out several other things first to get to it, and since my stacks are only 4 high, sometimes I’ll just unstack them to make it easier. I believe that if I really wanted to, I could get to stuff without ever unstacking, but I’m not going to guarantee that it would never happen.

1 Like
  • what Sean said.

You can always immediately get to the bottles on top. But because of the way bottles are stacked and “interlocked”, if you want anything below the top, you will have to pull whatever is on top first. Also, there are hatches on both ends so its usually easier to use which ever door is on the side of the bottle you want. But you can still pull bottles from the opposite end, you just may need to pull the bottles in front of the them first. How many bottles you have to pull also depends on how full the crate as well. Less full means more internal clearance.