Anyone know Carl D. Dumbra, or own Forward American Wines (1948–50)?

Has anyone come across Carl D. Dumbra, author of Forward American Wines: Including Wine Producers Formulae (1948–1950)?

It’s a substantial technical work on American winemaking, apparently self-published in Sacramento. Dumbra describes himself as a “Winemaker - Chemist - Blender,” but I’ve found very little about his professional background.

I’m especially interested in:

  • whether anyone knows where he worked or had a winery/consulting practice;
  • whether anyone here owns a copy, particularly a 1948 first printing;
  • whether your copy has its original dust jacket.

Any leads would be very helpful.

Thanks!

I don’t. I bet if you asked living legend Darrell Corti from Corti Brothers he would have information.

1 Like

Thanks! They didn’t, but 1) awesome to learn about the man and 2) they put me in touch with a bunch of people which extended this already neverending rabbit-hole

1 Like

How did you reach them? I also have an oddball question. Did you simply call the grocery store and ask for Darrell?

I did! I sent an email to the address in their blog (not the feedback one). Replied in 1h with an awesome intro. Very cool

2 Likes