Anyone have some good 1995 Burgundy recs for a birthday celebration I have coming up?

It’s the best friends birth year and the restaurant we are going to recently moved so they don’t have their new liquor license yet and are allowing one bottle per person with no corkage fee. I will probably do one Champagne and one Burgundy so recs for both would be appreciated. I guess I should also add that the restaurant has a michelin star so it will be a fine dining tasting menu setting. TIA

95 Taittinger CDC for sure

For 95 burg, it’s not the very best vintage, but some options I’ve had recently and are drinking well:

Roumier Bonnes Mares
Rousseau Chambertin
H Lignier CDLR

It s not the VERY best vintage ( which are imo 1990 and 1999), but I prefer it to 1993 - and many 95s are more balanced and less acidic than 1996 - it depends on the producer (I guess you mean red).
Impossible to recommend an exact wine ( what is available?), but all communes from Gevrey to Vosne were successful overall - Interestingly I like NuitsSG 95 a bit less - and Volnay can be fine, too.
I m not so enthusiastic about Corton, Savigny, Pernand -

DRC did not THAT well in 1995, Rousseau is fine, as is Damoy (Clos de Beze), H.Lignier, Hudelot-Noellat, Jean Gros, Arnoux, J.J.Confuron, Roumier, Meo-Camuzet and Grivot (with bad cork rate) and Rene Engel. Leroy and Rouget, too, but very expensive.
I had a fine Malconsorts by Clos Frantin, and also a Ch.Clos de Beze/Raphet.

Interesting, I much prefer 93 to 95, but I guess it’s producer dependent. I also like 96 more than 95, but I can see why some wouldn’t.

1993 often has a kind of chunky " stewed" fruit, while 96 usually is (too) high in acidity - but there are great wines in both vintages, too.

Yeah I haven’t noticed that too much but most of my experience with those vintages is with DRC, Rousseau, Roumier, and h lignier.

Don‘t have much experience with the vintage in neither Champagne nor Burgundy - entered the game too late - but will be having the Krug CdM 1995 Tuesday next week. Will report back after.

Anything from Roumier will be terrific. He nailed that vintage.

This rec includes Bonnefond Ruchottes Chambertin.

1 Like

'95 red Burgs are finally coming around. I have recently had Dujac CdlR, Bouchard Reignots, DRC RSV, Faiveley Corton CdC and Clair Beze. All wonderful. There was a wealth of fruit on release and it is now coming out from behind their ample structures. I suspect many Village wines would be right in the zone.

cheers
Jeremy

I second the recommendation for 1995 Dujacs, they are drinking nicely.

If you can find some '95 Chevillons I imagine they would all be drinking well. The Les Cailles was beautiful last year.

A 95 Drouhin Corton Bressandes was beautiful earlier this year

As Maureen said, roumier did amazingly well in 95. I still remember some bottles of the village Chambolle from we years ago.

Haven’t had any Chevillon in a similarly long time but I recall them being excellent as well

That’s my recollection about the Chevillons, too, though it’s been quite a while since I’ve had one.

In the last few months I have had some very good 1995s from Dujac, Bachelet, Mortet and Hudelot Noellat.

1 Like

How did Jadot reds do in 95? Any generalization possible? I picked up some Jadot Corton Pougets recently.