anyone have a chance to taste 2009 Jaffurs SBC syrah yet?

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I’m quite fond of the Jaffurs single vineyard syrahs, but I haven’t had a chance to try any of their SBC appellation offerings. Looks like the '08 and '07 were pretty well received, but no one’s posted anything to CT on the '09 yet.

I’m just debating whether to load up before the reviews come out and everyone jumps on it, as happened with the '08. Has anyone familiar with the earlier Jaffurs SBCs had a chance to taste the '09 yet? Barring that, is there any consensus as to how '09 was for Santa Barbara syrah generally?

I had it last week. Very tight right now, but it seemed like it had everything there to be a good QPR wine. I thought it had more in common with the 2008 than the 2007.

I love the 2009s. I haven’t had a badgillion of them, but what I’ve tasted have been ripe, juicy, full-flavored wines with supple tannins, and no hard edges or heraceousness. I’ll have a better grip on the vintage after next year’s HdR, as most of what I’ve had so far have been barrel samples. But that’s just Syrahs and such; I haven’t had too many Pinots or Chards.

Not to derail the thread, but I wonder how the Melville 2009 Syrah Verna’s is tasting.

Had it back on 9/29/2010 & posted the following note.
We just got in 5 cases for my group they liked it so much.
Tom

9. Jaffurs Syrah SantaBarbaraCnty (15.2%) 2009: Very dark/black color; slight milk of magnesia quite perfumed/
aromatic intense blackberry/Syrah/lush slight pungent/licorice light toasty/oak bit floral beautiful nose;
soft big/blackberry/Syrah/licorice pungent light toasty/oak flavor w/ modest tannins; very long intense/
blackberry/Syrah/licorice/pungent some toasty/oak lush finish w/ some tannins; carries the alcohol very
well w/ no noticible heat; terrific Syrah at a great price. $25.00

BP:
6. Jaffurs: This is the just released basic Jaffurs Syrah. It is one of their best, maybe the best, SBC Syrah yet.
It has far less of the somewhat Oz character the previous 2-3 vintages showed. Apparently, several of the
vnyd-designate barrels of Syrah were added towards the end to boost the quality of this wine. Another
terrific Jaffurs Syrah.

Haven’t had it yet, but I can’t wait to try it. COnsistently one of the best domestic Syrah’s out there at this price point.

I’ve tasted it and it’s delicious. It was just bottled, though, so there’s that. Some of Jaffurs wines get overly heavy and hot for my taste. This wasn’t one of them. Gobs of fresh dark fruit, lavender and spice. Just a high level delicious factor. My note says it tastes like a barrel sample, i.e yummy and primary, so if you like that this shouldn’t disappoint.

Just as a side note, this is the only cuvee they filter before bottling simply because it’s their largest production wine and it’s cheap insurance against spoilage.

Thanks, all. Good enough for me–just ordered a case.

Now to figure out what to do about Tensley purchases.