Anyone had this wine? a Barolo Chinato

Digestion?
I suppose it depends on the problem, but where I would say they seem to work, is where the meal was a little large, and you just need a little help to start processing it.

Which reminds me of a dish in a small place near Rastignano (a village south of Bologna). A place where there was no written menu, the waiter reading out the menu (in Italian) with me listening, translating (as best as I could) for the brains of the operation and then working out what I wanted myself. I liked the sound of Beef in balsamic vinegar, but hadn’t realised this meant about a 100-150ml of warmed balsamic vinegar that the beef had presumably been cooked in. In terms of digestion, it was the equivalent of a turbo boost button.

There is something about a bitter foodstuff or drink that seems to both stimulate appetite and aid in digestion. In Asian cultures bitter foods are often an integral component of a dish. Not so much here. Perhaps this has something to do with the renewed popularity of a Negroni before a meal.

After my first experience here with the Chinato, I`m convinced just the memory of it will serve to heighten my digestion, as you say, the power of suggestion.

There’s a very fine page on Chinato here:

http://www.finewinegeek.com/chinato/

But like everything else on that damn site, it’s a work in progress.

So according to this, the Cappellano Chinato was invented by a family member of the Cappellano Winery as stated: “It is widely accepted that Barolo Chinato was invented by Dr. Giuseppe Cappellano in the late 19th Century. Giuseppe was the second son of the founder of the Cappellano Winery. He became a pharmacist in Turin where he developed many medicines including Barolo Chinato.”

I guess I`ll have to digest this some more.

Here’s some background in Italian (I’m sure Google translate will give you the gist)

http://tablino.it/60/il-barolo-chinato/

This thread inspired to try the Cappelletti Elisir Novasalus again.

Suffice it to say that, in the case of tree sap, there is a fine line between digestive aid and heartburn.

I love pretty much all things bitter, I adore amaro and chinato and most of their brethren around the world, but the Novasalus has — since the first time I tasted it — been too much for me. Based on rather a lot of conversations with bartenders and wine folk, I know I’m not alone, and among some of them it’s taken on pretty much the same role as, say, everclear does in one’s early drinking days: a challenge to prove your something-hood. I feel a little bad about all this, as a good friend imports it, but it’s really not the beverage for me unless it plays a very, very minor role in a cocktail.

On the other hand, I was talking about it with several like-minded bartenders one night, and a friend declared that our dire warnings meant she absolutely had to taste it. Which she did. And, of course, she loved it.

Echoing that the Vajra chinato is great.

Sipped on some vajra chinato I bought the other day at the winery. I didn’t realize the cap was a plastic screwcap and pulled the darn thing out. How long does it last after opening?

Thread drift.

Varied options of amari that may be interesting to try (that are in the range you’re asking about):

Nonino
Montenegro
CioCiaro
Averna
Nardini
Meletti
Braulio

Love it. That`s close to my experience with more emphasis toward the heartburn.