Anyone had this wine? a Barolo Chinato

Cappellano Barolo Chinato is the worst wine I’ve ever had in my life, and I’m not being dramatic

• NV Cappellano Barolo Chinato - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo Chinato (10/25/2015)
    HATED IT. Not fit for human consumption. Tastes like Quinine mixed with gin botanicals. I know you’re supposed to stay open minded, but there is no excuse for this unmitigated sludge. One of the worst things I’ve ever consumed, once you drink it you’re worried you’ve been poisoned…

All joking aside, this is just clearly not my style.
I’m sure if this is your thing, it is probably a respectable wine. (50 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Hi Larry. You got that right at least for this Wine Guy. I getting ready for another dose down the line.

"One of the better ones Ive had" Now that really saying something. Im falling back on John Tilson`s final statement on his Underground Wineletter: “Drink what you like and like what you drink”.

Andrew, I yield to your TN. You got it much better than I did.

I personally love Barolo Chinato with the Cappellano being my favorite commercially released one, and second overall (Bartolo Mascarello Chinato is my favorite).

I also don’t have a problem drinking amaro/fernet, chartreuse etc. I can see why someone wouldn’t like it, but to say it the worst thing ever, or unfit for consumption is a bit over the top.

Even in my humbled state, I agree Jason.

Vergano makes a chinato (Luli) from moscato grapes, which is a little easier to wrap one’s head around. Chinati Vergano | Tutto Wines

That said, Barolo chinato, it seems to me, is more of an autumnal, wintry way to end a hearty meal.

I love Barolo chinato, but I confess being Italian and having been exposed to the taste of “amaro” from an early age.

There is a great riff on a Negroni called a Newgroni (ne-groan-i!) made with Cappelletti.

My only other comment is that trying to put Barolo Chinato in a wine framework (and scoring it 50 points) is a little like comparing Araujo grappa to their Sauvignon Blanc.

+1

FYI, I bought the tree sap amaro on the recommendation of Flatiron Wines. A month or so later, I went to Chambers Street and told them I was exploring amaros and that Flatiron had sold me this really weird, unpleasant shit made with tree sap. The nice lady at Chambers then recommended the friggin’ smoked Chinese rhubarb stuff and I bought a bottle.

My next amaro purchase will be at a less hipsterish wine store.

FWIW, we bottled a domestic Chinato last year at Harrington Wines. From this spring’s wine release info:

Harrington “BeBe” Chinato, a Nebbiolo-based digestivo 37 cases
A treasured part of Piemontese wine culture is the Chinato digestivo made from Nebbiolo. The herb-infused recipes used to make Chinato are never shared as each wine family has their own time-tested formula. Consequently, this wine spent 8 years in one oak barrel while the proper percentages of herbs, roots, flowers and barks were slowly, carefully introduced and studied. The primary aim was to construct the classic Chinato aromatic profile, the second to create a unique range of flavors that would fit within targeted bitterness, sweetness and alcohol levels. The wine was fortified to 16.5% alcohol with a brandy made from the same Nebbiolo grapes. Expect robust and deep aromas of cherry compote, clove, cardamom, cinnamon and rhubarb. Chinato is at its best when paired with dark chocolate after a meal.

Blake, if you don’t like Chinato, do yourself a favor and stay away from late night Fernet shots.

It’s a bitter aperitif fortified wine, similar to an amaro. I was a cocktail guy well before I got into wine seriously and have a collection of maybe 40 amari. No more an acquired taste than vermouth.

The Sfumato is delicious, try it in a cocktail and you’ll change your mind. To me, I like it on its own…

Disclaimer: I had at one time sold this aromatic

I haven’t had this…but I really loved a Chinato I had while I was in Piedmont visiting Giuseppe Cortese. It was such a lovely way to end a meal and kick-start digestion.

By the end of the sfumato rhubarb bottle, I confess that I had grown rather fond of it. (Interestingly, it threw quite a sediment. Rhubarb phenols?)

The tree sap bottle is still there, waiting for the increase enlightenment on my part that will allow me to appreciate it.

The problem is that my entry amaro, Cardomaro, seems quite pedestrian to me now, even though it’s made with artichokes and cardoman. I need to find one in between that and the Cappellettis in character.

Noah is right, Fernet is essentially a dry version of Amaro, though both do contain sugar and caramelized sugar.

One thing you might want to try is make your own version of Amaro as I did by blending Fernet Branca, Unicum bitters and China-China in equal parts.

I will surely heed your cautionary remarks.

too funny John

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but does it genuinely aid your digestion, or is that just one of those “oysters make you virile” type old fashioned ideas?

Not a dumb question at all…I’d say it absolutely aids in digestion from my perception. Every time I’ve had some I “feel” it working on my digestive track…how to scientifically measure that is a different question. Could it be the power of suggestion…maybe, placebo…possibly. Yet I feel like a 3-4 oz. pour really helps to kick-start the digestion more than say…sauternes, port, or any other sweet wine.

The botanical components, particularly the quinine, are super helpful as a digestive aid.

My favorite use is as a sweet vermouth substitute in cocktails. Definitely my fave in the Quina class of aperitif wines.