Any wine with lower than 5% alcohol or alternative?

Not to be rude, but I don’t really understand what it is you want. You want to be very, very slightly buzzed without feeling “drugged?” You want to be able to maintain this balance over the course of hours as well, according to what you say above? These suggestions may work, but it’s a very specific thing you are looking for, and frankly, as you’re seeing here, there is very little in actual wine that seems to be within your perimeters. Typically sweet (but not fortified) wines will have less alcohol than their dry counterparts because they have fermented less of the sugars into alcohol. Even so, something like a German Auslese, where a very good deal of sugar is left unfermented in the wine, still has more alcohol than what you are looking for, and would, IMO, be a strange choice for sipping over several hours of socializing. If you get into wines with less alcohol than that you are going to be in the realm of very, very expensive specialty sweet wines, like German trockenbeerenauslese or beerenauslese or Hungarian Tokaji Essencia.

Maybe what you’re looking for is some type of malt beverage that doesn’t contain gluten. There’s a ton of this stuff on the shelves these days (I think). Hard sodas and lemonades, and increasingly I’ve seen at parties a nicer class of these beverages that aim for flavor profiles like cocktails with interesting ingredients and probably, if I had to guess, an alcohol level around 5%.

I have no idea what Jeunesse is, but if you weren’t inhibited by alcohol levels I’d suggest you explore more broadly before deciding you don’t like dry wine. Most fine wine is dry wine. Many good sweet options as well, as has been discussed here, but most of the world of fine wine is dry. Also, if, as you say, you enjoy Tito’s with seltzer water or Sake with seltzer, those are essentially “dry” drinks. Which is why I say something like a dry white or a rose with sparkling water might work. In any case, it sounds like a non-issue at this point though due to your preferred alcohol level. Good luck.

Right, and it´s been said explicitely that legally it´s no wine, but “partially fermented grape must” …
VERY sweet, 420 gr sugar/litre … 9.8 gr acidity, 4% alc.

Yes I am looking for something which will work, for my situation so I will have to experiment with different gluten free low alcoholic drinks. Different types of alcoholic drinks has different effect on me, as mentioned the Moscato wine worked [but at least 5%] and did not make me feel drugged but Jeunesse did so I can’t say that every wine brand or type will give me that drugged feeling.

If I should be able to find the Montieth Lightly crushed cider here I would give that first option.

This.

And, add ice, fruit juice, soda, 7up, seltzer to a low ABV wine and just relax. Sounds like you are going at this with a bit of spectator syndrome… If you start off with a 2 ounces of wine at 12% ABV and pour it over ice and add a bit of fruit juice and or soda to make a 6 ounce glass you drop you ABV to around 3-4%. Generally over time your tolerance to alcohol will increase…

Hmm, interesting concept. The mathematics of alcohol has always confused me. Yes, if the above info is accurate then I can simply go with the 5% Moscato and mix it with ice and Seltzer water then that should bring the alcohol content down to where I want it at 2-3%?

yes

Thank you very much! I guess I will need just at the start to get a measuring glass to be accurate to measure the 2 ounces. This also means I can experiment with more wine options to get the best tasting wine of my choice so I can try up to 12% alcohol wines using the formula given .

Second Bordelet. Amazing, especially the pear ones.

Eric bordelet ciders. All you need in your life!

Any specific Bordelet you guys can recommend which would be around 50/50 dry/sweet mixture please?

Cidrerie de Vulcan too.

can you explain why the alcohol is still important for you to be included when you are in the 3% range? why not just drink something non-alcoholic when you dont love the feeling you get from alcohol and dont love wine?

I like getting a buzz, just I can’'t drink too much alcohol to get drunk and for health reasons now seeking a low alcohol content drink especially for the longer summer sessions. I have stated a few times here that Moscato wine works good for me, it was only the Jeunesse I had issues with. I am a beer drinker at heart as that gives me the best mellow buzz but I have to move on from it until and if I should stumble across something workable.

I haven’t tried many types of wine and willing to do so now to see which brand/type will work best for me.

I guess the term you are looking for might be “medium-dry” or “medium-sweet” (instead of that weird “50/50 dry/sweet mixture”).

Well most of Bordelet’s ciders are technically medium-sweet, but often most of his ciders taste conspicuously dry. I have no idea how he does his magic trick, but dammit it works.

If you are looking for good medium-dry/-sweet ciders, the French ciders in Normandy and Bretagne (i.e. the region Eric Bordelet’s ciders come from as well) are often great. Lots of character, ranging from bone dry to medium-sweet-ish, quite often reasonably priced and usually very tasty, no matter what is the sweetness level.

You might be able to succeed by going back and forth between water and wine instead of blending down a wine pre-consumption. We do that with some of our wine-geeky marathons, even if mostly spitting (some alcohol is absorbed through the cell walls in your mouth). Be sure to be properly hydrated before drinking, then make sure you drink enough water as you go to keep up with the wine.

Thanks Otto. Good reminder on the water aspect, will do. I like the White Claw’s taste, this Saturday I will try adding cranberry juice with ice to it to break down the 5% and drink some water in between too.

BTW, can you or anyone tell me what similar formula one would use for any liquor like Vodka, Whiskey, Bourbon e.t.c please? Meaning for a 12% wine it would be 2 ounces to add whatever to but for liquor which averages around 40% per shot, how much soda or juice would one need to add to break that down and how low can that 40% be lowered to ?

Dilution is a ratio. what ever % at what ever volume mixed with a non-alcoholic liquid of equal volume divides the ABV (alcohol by volume) in correct proportion.
2 oz of 12% wine mixed with 2 oz of soda or juice or water makes a 6% beverage. Add ice and it dilutes it more as the ice melts.
4 oz of 14% wine mixed with 4 oz of soda or juice or water makes a 7% beverage. Add ice and it dilutes it more as the ice melts.
2 oz of 12% wine mixed with 4 oz of soda or juice or water makes a 3% beverage. Add ice and it dilutes it more as the ice melts.
and etc…

This reminds me of how long will it take you to drive 50 miles if you are going 50 MPH… [scratch.gif]

Wow, thanks for the knowledge! Yes that would be a good analogy :slight_smile:. Math was never my strong point unfortunately so I will need to do some thinking on that formula to see how I might apply it to liquor for whenever I may run into situations where liquor might be my only option.

For right now and this Saturday I plan on taking 2 cans of White Claw, would you mind helping me do the math on this please? If yes, this is the link to the nutritional info:

If White Claw is 5% I am guessing that means each “12 ounce serving” of it will contain 5% alcohol? If that is accurate then 2 ounces of it mixed with 2 ounces of cranberry juice will amount to what % of a beverage please?

As Nola said, if you double the amount of liquid then cut the %age in half. In this case it would be 2.5% alcohol.