Any wine with lower than 5% alcohol or alternative?

Don’t know where you live but Departed Soles Brewing in JERSEY CITY, NJ makes some 100% Gluten Free beers.

I’ll take the bait. My assumption is that 10 ounces of 14.1% wine affects you the same as 11 ounces of 13% wine consumed in the same span of time, or as 10 ounces of 14.1% wine which has been diluted by adding 1 ounce of soda water, fruit juice, or some other non alcoholic liquid.

If there is scientific evidence to the contrary (by evidence, I don’t mean French wine partisans claiming they just perceive it that way), I’m open to considering it.

Just on the surface, it seems odd to me that you throw 5%, 8.5% and 11% our as all being fine, yet between 13% and 15% there is a “big difference.”

But like I said, I’m an open minded guy, and I’m willing to change my opinion in the face of convincing evidence.

When Arnold and I first started dating and I found out about his AFS I started opening lower alcohol wines. He was fine with 7% Spatlese so the next week I opened a 9% Kabinett. He took a sip and immediately commented, “this wine is much higher in alcohol than the one you opened last week.”

As I was implying, but didn’t spell out, someone posted the scientific explanation on one of those threads here. Feel free to go looking for it. Once presented in biophysical terms, it makes perfect sense.

OP, what’s your goal? You’re trying to consume alcohol, but it seems like you don’t actually like the effect(s) that you feel from alcohol.

Spirits are gluten free. Well the vast majority including grain based ones.

I know Bart Broadbent has posted on his FB page about the differences between just a couple percentage of ABV has on the drinker. It isn’t a simple small equal incremental amount, bur more like an exponential increase in affect. My non-scientific personal experiences drinking various ABV levels over the years, including Port and Madeira’s, agree.

As to some comments, Vinho Verde is rarely less than 8% ABV. More in the 10-11% range. So that won’t help the Op in what he is looking for.

Can we all stop trying to change the mind of the Op and just give him some rec’s on what he is looking for. Is it really that hard? (I don’t know what’s in the 5% range other than d’Asti already mentioned, so I’ll leave more rec’s to others more knowledgeable in that arena).

These actually are classified as grape juices, I think, as all the yeasts are filtered out from chilled juice. Still tasty when needed.

Silvan Ridge Early Muscat from Oregon is 6% and a refreshing well made wine.

Yes, it’s literally Gewurtz grape juice since it isn’t fermented. They just try to make it as close as they can to a wine experience with no alcohol. It’s a good effort.

I must say that this is a really weird choice for a forum if you are not a wine drinker! :smiley:

The problem with the alcohol level is that almost all countries have a minimum alcohol level under which you can’t call your stuff “wine” and while it can be as high as 11% somewhere, it can get as low as 5% in other places. However, I can’t remember any place where fermented grape juice at less than 5% ABV could be called “wine” except Tokaj, where they make Tokaji Escenzia - some of the most stunning wines on Earth. However, I assume you might want to drink something else than viscous, syrupy nectar that costs hundreds of $ a pop.

I concur with the abovementioned recommendations of ciders. I usually find the dry Normandy, Bretagne and Auge ciders of France very complex and fascinating, the best ones offering gustatory experiences equal to well-made wines. They also make some very impressive ciders in England and Spain as well, the best farmhouse ciders of England being world-class beverages.

And if you want to go deeper into this rabbit hole, I suggest getting your hands on the poire ciders of Eric Bordelet. They might be pricey for ciders, but they can go as low as 2-3% and they still can offer more pleasure than Champagnes at double the price.

Anything - at least in the EC - below 7% is not allowed to be called “wine” legally !!!
And before I would drink a “non-alcoholic wine” (I´ve tasted several) I would actually stick to beer …

There aren’t ‘that many’ gluten free beers.

Mike H, I am confused too. If you drink something like Titos and mix it and make a weak alcoholic drink, why won’t that work?

Navarro’s gewurtztraminer and pinot noir grape juices are delicious but don’t really help the OP who was looking for something with alchohol, just not too much.

I still have to research some of the products mentioned here, thanks guys, will you all know how it turns out. I can try watering down whatever I drink as one of the options mentioned here. To address some of the questions posted for me.

Using a lot of seltzer water with Tito’s or Sake works but it burns my gut or chest a little the next day, a lot of people have stated the same.

I like this option posted by Otto [thanks]

“And if you want to go deeper into this rabbit hole, I suggest getting your hands on the poire ciders of Eric Bordelet. They might be pricey for ciders, but they can go as low as 2-3% and they still can offer more pleasure than Champagnes at double the price.”

I don’t mind the pricing but 2-3% alcohol is my target area. The white claw spiked selzer I had tried cost $12 for only a 6 pack. I will look into this as first option “poire ciders of Eric Bordelet.” Friend of mine who is facing a similar issue said he had tried ciders but it’s too sweet so only one way to know.

I find this comment kind of bizarre, since grain alcohol seldom tastes good to novice drinkers, but okay… If you want to go that route you should be able to achieve a mixed drink with whatever alcohol percentage you desire. Measure your spirit and you’ll have exacting control over your intake.

Otherwise, I think the cider recommendation is good, they are often around that level whether sweet or dry. I prefer the funky, Spanish ciders, but the French ones are good too, particularly some of the pear options. You mention sweetness, and again I think you’ll find more dry (and even totally dry) options from Spain and France than domestically, though I understand that domestic ciders have come a long way as well. The difficulty can be knowing up front whether a cider is dry or not. For French cider look for the “brut” designation at times IIRC. For cheap, even Trader Joe’s pear cider isn’t bad and is relatively dry, maybe just off-dry. There are also a lot of gluten free beers now (list linked below). Can’t speak to the quality though.

As for wine, anything that low, from what I’ve seen, is going to be sweet. Many people like the Patrick Bottex Bugey-Cerdon, but I find it cloying. You might also try a low alcohol white cut about 50/50 with sparkling water. I actually enjoy a white or rose with Perrier in the summer poolside for session purposes.

Thanks for the referrals, will look into them. I don’t like dry wine, I had tried Jeunesse a few times in the past which I was told was around 50/50 dry/sweet and that tasted real good, only the feeling drugged issue made me give it up.

I had tried various Moscato wines and those were good but above 5%.

Some of the Eric Bordelet products don;t list the alcohol %, found one which is 4%.

Also just found this: