Any Wine related Podcasts worth giving a go?

thanks!

Agree on I’ll Drink To That. Totally got out of Lee Hudson’s way and just let him tell his story, which I found fascinating.

Never thought I’d be seeking out Aligoté… Erin Scala’s episode on that variety was fantastic.

The Guild of Sommeliers does a nice job, but they’re infrequently updated.

I really like Inside Winemaking from a technical standpoint, but it is almost entirely California focused.

I’ll Drink To That! is a good one.

Loved Grape Radio. For me the Sine Qua Non 2 part episode was incredible. Must have listened to it 20 times (gave me comfort while waiting to buy the wine).

Also the Pinot Showdown is legendary for the content and the controversy.

Jay, I would love to be able to get a copy of the Sine Qua Non (doesn’t show on past episodes).

If you are interested in Burgundy at all check out the Alan Meadows episode on I’ll Drink To That. Meadows explains in possibly the most succinct and clear way why Burgundy is what it is and why in our lifetime there will not likely be a real substitute. My only criticism is that many of the episodes have individuals in the industry that are not quite as interesting ( with something like 500 episodes not everyone has a really compelling story). It is really the history of some of the people, like John Kongsgaard, that are cool bios. Who knew he had such a fascinating family background?

For essentially a free broadcast, it does not get any better. Only wish he could have gotten Henri Jayer and some other icons like Robert Mondavi before they passed. Dalton has learned with the best interviews to simply shut up and let the people tell their stories. His breath and depth of wine knowledge is impressive as he asks really focused questions that don’t insult the intelligence of the subjects.

+1 on the chance to interview Michel Rolland! He should get 2 hours of time to finally get the chance to explain himself. And confess his sins… [whistle.gif]

As much as I love /loved Grape Radio it was generally about the hosts. That’s great because they are very likeable, however Levi’ s podcasts are about the guests and the process.

Wine for Normal People. Is it as dumbed down as it’s name?

The Taste with Doug Shafer is new and very pleasant. So far it has been all Napa related but I think Doug does a nice job interviewing and telling stories.

it really depends on the episode i think. It never gets nearly the same depth as IDTT or Inside Winemaking for sure though. if you want to nerd out and/or get in depth, WFNP is probably not the podcast to do that with.

For something whimsical and not too serious I enjoy The Casual Wine Geeks

For Inside Winemaking, I really enjoyed and would recommend the ‘Pilgrimage to Bern’s’ episode. Definitely makes one want to come up with an excuse to go to Tampa.

Another Podcast I haven’t seen listed yet is The Stories Behind Wine from the Napa Valley Wine Academy. I’ve enjoyed each of the 10 or so I’ve listened to do far.

Thanks to everyone here. I just listened to an episode of I’ll Drink to That. As everyone says, it is excellent. It does sound to me like there is some editing – tying pieces together into a longer narrative. Not a bad thing. I listened to the American Rhone episode with Patrick Cominskey — I learned a lot and as others have said, he is a great interviewer. Thanks again for pointing me (and others) to it.

I’m interested in checking out some of the old grape radio episodes but can seem to get them to play through either my podcast app (RSS feed only goes back to mid 2015) or via the website (hard to locate pre-2014 episodes and lots of “file not founds”).

Does anyone know how to get to the old stuff?

Thanks for this recommendation. Interesting to hear the stories and history of the people he interviews.

I’ve been looking for good wine podcast to complement the golf podcasts I enjoy (Fried Egg, No Laying Up, Shane Bacon). I’ve listened to Levi Dalton some but the back catalog doesn’t show up in the iPhone Podcast app. What app do folks use to get back episodes?

I’ve also enjoyed Life Between the Vines. Does anyone listen to that podcast?

Any others out there?

You can get everything on Soundcloud.

My two favorites:
The Taste with Doug Shafer - very much Napa focused, but it interesting how much old world influence many of the guests have. Doug goes a good job with putting together a story around each guest, which is even more fun/interesting if you’re into Napa wines.

Guild of Sommeliers - covers lots of topics, from exploring different wine regions, to different parts of the wine the making process, to the history of wine.

Andrew,

Thanks for the recommendation. I am the host and producer of The Honest Pour. The podcast is available on iTunes, Stitcher and google play as well.

I’m quite flattered by the complement.

Regards,

John

We share a couple hobbies! I listen to the same golf pods.

I have an iphone too and use their podcast app for my pods, and I can get all the back Levi Daltons. I just scroll down to something that says “Available Episodes” and they’re there.

If it hasn’t been mentioned yet, a vote for the Wine Scholar Guild podcast. I thought the interview with Peter Liem on Champagne was quite good.

Cheers,
Doug

In terms of back episodes of I’ll Drink to That! on the Apple Podcasts app, if you subscribe to the podcast in the app, you will then see all the episodes from episode 1. You will also see new episodes in your feed faster than you would otherwise. Subscribing is free, and there are no strings attached to a subscription. You just have to hit the button and that’s that.