Anova's countertop combi steam oven is out

How would you use a steam oven to make better wings? I love my steam oven, but I generally prefer my wings rubbed in olive oil and placed in the convection oven with 0% humidity. If there’s a cool method for wings using the steam oven, I’d love to know it.

My favorite thing about my steam oven (though, it’s hard to pick) is how it reheats leftovers. It’s a great combination of efficient and very effective as it doesn’t dry out food. I also love using the steam oven for sous vide, braising, cooking a lot of hard/soft boiled eggs at once, and for rice and grains. I haven’t used the Anova combi steam oven or any countertop one, but if it’s like mine, I highly recommend it.

I can’t promise this is a good recipe, but it is from Scott Heimendinger (ex-Director of Applied Research at Modernist Cuisine) using this exact oven, so maybe…

I’ve cooked them like this and it’s very good, but out of laziness and/or lack of baking powder, I often skip the baking powder and just convection bake them and toss them in sauce after (and usually pair with a nice Riesling). I’ve never used steam however.

I’m very interested; I just need a place to put it.

Scott Heimendinger did a Instagram Live today about the new Anova Precision Oven (combi oven) that is worth watching if you are new to combi ovens

He cooked steaks 3 ways: 1) traditional sous vide in a bag in a water bath; 2) sous vide in the “Anoven” in a bag; and 3) sous vide in the “Anoven” without a bag. He got the same result each way.

He also did a sous vide omelet in the oven, and extolled its virtues for bread. Video is here (~40 min long):

I think the better analogy would be a serious wine lover who doesn’t own 100 different corkscrews/gadgets/coravins to open wines. And yes, you can be very serious without gadgetry.

I type this while also looking into pre-ordering mine… [soap.gif]

If people would just stop gifting us crappy cork-opening-thingybobies! pileon

Better hurry, I heard a few days ago there were only 15% left of the October (2nd) manufacturing run.

What’s your commi$$ion rate on these things, Kevin? neener

I believe I read that Kenji (Serious Eats) has moved almost everything in his restaurant to combi oven. I am just not ready for another MAJOR appliance. At least my sous vide stick is easy to shove in the pantry when not in use.

I looked at it a few weeks ago when there were plenty available for the Sept. ship date, but just procrastinated ordering. This thread reminded me to look again and I placed the order a couple of days ago. the Sept delivery is sold out. 15% left for the October delivery. I’m looking forward to getting it and figuring out how best to use it.

I did get a thank you from Scott Heimendinger on YouTube. ¢¢¢

First review I’ve seen for the Anova Precision Oven (requires a subscription):

Positive, although not a super hardcore review.

No sub: apkmetro.com

Mine was delivered
haven’t fired it up yet as I have work to do (damn employment!)

will report tonight.
Hejna got his too - he will likely beat me here.

Mine arrives tomorrow. [cheers.gif]

We have a whole chicken brining for tommorrow.

Made some donuts… They turned out great. Doing omelette now… taking forever to set. Used cold eggs and milk. I think the recipe online is way off.

Like the oven, the size is good. It is quiet. The controls for the time and temp are a bit wonky. They increase decrease really fast if you hold down the button. (Minor flaw). Wireless connection was simple.

George

The online recipes are wrong. The recipes on the app seem more correct. Look at the whole roasted chicken recipe and compare.

Has anyone had trouble connecting to the app/wifi?

I just spent >1 hr trying to connect my APO to the the Anova Oven app on my smartphone (iPhone 11 Pro running latest iOS 14.01).

I tried:
Turning off Bluetooth (suggested by app)
Both 2.4 & 5 GHz wifi
Turned off 5 Ghz
Changed wifi password (no spaces, and name of wifi also has no spaces)
Deleting Norton VPN from phone
Restarting phone
Restarting APO
Updating app
Reinstalled app several times (strangely app doesn’t let me log out)
Settings>Anova Oven>Local Network: ON

Yes, I can get a wifi connection code from the APO, and I can enter it into the app, and it will find my wifi, but when I enter the wifi password, it fails to connect, says “We were not able to complete the connection process” and asks me to reboot, over and over and over again…

Tough choice . . . wife’s coffee maker/coffee grinder vs. steam oven.