Another Irritating Thread Inqiring As To Your Intentions Of 2013 Barolo Purchases

Katrina - I hadn’t realized the 2013 Vajra Bricco had been released yet. Where you picking it up?

Hi Noah –

Sec Wines Oregon. On pre-arrival. (They also have 2010 and 2012 in stock).

What are those selling for in Vancouver? I’m curious.

2012 Fenocchio Villero retails for 73.00cdn

Cheers,

John. I think the Castellero will touch $70 taxes in and the normale $60. I bought a six pack of 2014 DeForville Barbaresco and it was $235 with all taxes in. These prices are in Canadian dollars. So multiply by .8.

Francois if you are using the Marquis pricing that is actually $84 taxes in.

Those are very good prices – on par with the price south of the border.

Bump for updates.

I wasn’t intending to jump in, but just picked up 3 each of the Vietti Rocche and Cogno Ravera. I’ll probably grab a few of the Vajra BdV, but the 2010 is still available and hard to beat at a comparable price.

One of my go to retailer sold me 4 bottles each of the 13 Burlotto barolos. Based on my paste experiences, the prices tend to come down or remain stable after the initial excitement. In Barolo, G. Renaldi and Giacomo Conterno may be exceptions.

It may come down a little but not by much - the 100 Point Galloni rating will see to that. And that explosion will bring up prices on everything else. Already got an offer for 2013 B Mascarello for $289. No thank you.

Funny, I just bought three of the ‘13 Cogno Ravera yesterday as well. A producer I haven’t had enough of, but this looks like great QPR. And thinking similarly about Vajra (ie ‘10 v. ‘13). Overall I’ve bought fairly widely in ‘13 at a range of prices, and am still waiting for A&G Fantino and Giacomo Conterno to show up in the US. And terribly undecided about Giacosa.

After that I’ll resume backfilling ‘97 - ‘04 for the next few years.

Two of the 10 Vietti wines got 99 pts by Antonio. The prices initially shot up but now they are back down. I respect Antonio’s palate and am a firm believer of 100 scale but not sure if anyone can tell his or her 98 pointers to 100 pointers if tasted blind. I have actually tasted the 12 and 13 burlotto monvigliero together at the winery and slightly preferred the 12, both 96 pts. Considering my inflated rating scale, I can perhaps go to 97 or even 98pts but certainly not 100pts.

Agree with you. And what’s odd is how the back-vintages of Burlotto have shot up in price too, and/or disappeared. WHWC has a lone bottle of 2011 Monvigliero for sale for $99, which is the same as I paid for the 2013 but about 50% more than the 10/11/12 was before the hype about the 2013. I don’t see Burlotto Monvig coming back down into the 60s…

I agree that Burlotto will not come back down but I also doubt that it has much upside if one pays the grey market price, i.e. over $200 per bottle. For my palate, this really is not the wine to chase.

Bought a case of Cogno Ravera at good price. Waiting for Brovia pricing before figuring out my next purchases.

In January 2015, I received this Burlotto offer:

2010 Burlotto Barolo $36
2010 Burlotto Barolo “Acclivi” $46
2010 Burlotto Barolo Monvigliero $48
2010 Burlotto Barolo Monvigliero 3L Jeroboams $240
2010 Burlotto Barolo Cannubi $55

Of course, I didn’t bite. [head-bang.gif] Can’t imagine what one of those jeros would auction for now.

Many of us are. I’m afraid they will begin to push the envelope a bit

I will be perfectly honest - what the Piedmont-buying world needs RIGHT NOW is some serious hype about 2016 so that importers and distributors will stop focusing on 2013 and pushing up the price. There seems to be a profound discrepancy between the cellar door price and the US offering price.

Katrina - 2010 and 2013 hype have, I agree, brought a lot of attention to Barolo and are making back vintages very pricey across the board. Saddens me.

Kevin - haven’t had the Burlotto Monvigliero but would agree on principle that it’s probably not the 100-pointer to chase.

Here’s a start: Interesting Choices Of Favorite Recent Barolo Vintages - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers

And here:Barolo the Likely Star of Italy's 2016 Harvest | Wine-Searcher News & Features

And here: Barbaresco and Barolo 2016 Harvest Report - Girl's Gotta Drink

And here: Wine Harvest Report 2016: Piedmont Starts Late but Ends Strong | Wine Spectator

And here: Piedmont 2016 harvest report - Decanter