Another Irritating Thread Inqiring As To Your Intentions Of 2013 Barolo Purchases

Ian, I may be misinterpreting, but most Giacosa bottlings are a fraction of the price of Monfortino (WS average $850). Having just picked up 2011 Giacosa Santo Stefano for $125, I would not say they are out of anyone’s price range when they’re mentioned in the same breath as Rinaldi, Cappellano, Vietti and the like. Not cheap, certainly, but not an order of magnitude pricier either.

I suspect Ian would be comparing the Monfortino (a riserva) to Giacosa red labels, which are also riservas. You can buy G. Conterno Cascina Francia and Cerretta Barolos for roughly the same price point as Giacosa white label Barbaresco and Barolo.

Hi Noah
Monfortino is far and away out of my price range (I did buy one bottle at auction in a mixed lot - the hammer price was surprisingly low, but it was more of a whisky than a wine auction). Indeed all of G Conterno’s Barolo wines are out of it, as are Vietti’s (barring their cheapest Barolo), Cappellano’s and Rinaldi’s.

Ok I may pick up the odd bottle in a moment of madness, or at a price it’s difficult to refuse, but anything over £50 is difficult to justify and I’ve only ever bought one wine over £100 a bottle (1991 Penfolds Grange).

regards
Ian

Bringing this back for updates.

I reckon I could talk at length re: 2013 Barolo, I tasted most of them earlier this year, either at Grandi Langhe, VinItaly, or during a personal visit, but the timing is off just this minute, sorry.

Instead, what I’ll do, and it’ll be a great favor to someone(s) is tell you that there are some 2013 Giacomo Fenocchio Cannubi at Morrell’s in NYC at just $55; there are none for sale at the winery. Sub 1,000 bottles, all pre-sold, iirc. This drinks great at twice the cost. One of Claudio’s top wines, and something one (i.e. winemaker ) would hope for at least once in a career. I first tasted this in barrel in '14, and again in '16 and then this year, wow. Happy hunting.

I’ll be posting about my three visits/encounters with Claudio on my blog in the coming weeks; he’s one of my favorite humans.

Tim, hope you’re right. Bought a case from Empire @ 45/btl…

For the price (under 16 Euros in Italy), the 2015 Fenocchio Nebbiolo is about as good as red wine gets.

@ James, agreed, very, very nice bottle; one of my favorite 15s

@Noah, hero…I mean, crazy price, lucky man!

Me 2

You were already a hero…and, I’ve put myself up for adoption (hint)

Any thought on a drinking window?

This appears to be sold out at Empire now.

That should not surprise anyone here.

Tim

I’m really happy to hear about your love of this wine. It’s one of the few 2013’s that I wasn’t given the opportunity to taste before buying. I bought on my past relationship and experience with the producer, who I believe is firmly one of the rising stars of the regions.

PS: I’m really enjoying your new website too. Keep up the great work and refreshing prose on so many of the wines I love.

The only thing more irritating than another thread asking about purchasing intentions is when someone replies with a single word response.

None

Any other good under-the-radar values to look out for?

Vajra Bricco della Viole

There have been some offers for Francesco Rinaldi’s crus, which are reasonably priced. All the stars point to the vast improvement of this estate and Galloni, who I typically trust in piedmont, rated his 2012 highly but has not rated his 2013 and won’t until the fall. A few friends have tasted them and said great things but I have not personally had the wines.

I have a six pack of Brezza Castellero and 3 Normale coming this month. I will probably buy more of the normale and a couple of the other 2 crus as well.

The agent here in Vancouver is a very likable fellow. He also has DeForville, Sandri and Fenocchio.

Not sure Vajra Bricco de Viole is under the radar any more. My worth-nothing prediction is that it’s going to go the way of Burlotto Monvigliero very soon, and explode upward in price.
I’ve been buying the 2013 and some more of the back vintages while they are still available and reasonably priced.

Otherwise, I’ve bought some of the 2013 Grasso Gavarini as well as Schiavenza Cerretta. Also some of the Massolino normale along with Burlotto Acclivi.