Another Help Me With A Restaurant Wine List Please!!

Yeah, that would be me! :slight_smile:

Lots of PE and IB firms based in Chicago. Pretty much catering to those types of companies entertaining clients.

Bruce is not going to get better than a thumb’s up from Sarah!

1 Like

Yep. Didn’t want to dox you. :slight_smile:

2015 Roagna langhe

Oh I’m way out of every closet!

1 Like

These are good choices which should please everyone. The Tenuta red is also a very pleasant choice. Not going to knock anyone’s socks off, but certainly enjoyable.

Paitin “Serraboella” Barbaresco 2016 is more interesting

Plus, it’s always been a bit of a “see and be seen” kind of restaurant with a Vegas-y vibe (and I say that as a complement, not a criticism), so it all kinda fits.

I was just looking at the Terre Nere red for 59 bucks, always enjoy that when eating Italian out. Unless it makes you look cheap :slight_smile:. I also like what Sarah suggested, a guy here in Durham imports Vallana and I always enjoy those, although the current release (2011) needs a few years.

I don’t disagree, but 2011 is actually a great Alto Piemonte year - hot vintages up north are genius.

Ligurian wines are typically a good value and nice whites. The Gattinara is a good buy but most of the reds are way overpriced.

Got turned onto the whites from Campania during our trip 2 weeks ago. \

This looks like a good option for a white wine: Fiano di Avellino, Romano Clelio, “Colli di Lapio”, 2018 93 rating and nice write up from Vinous

Reds:

If the budget will support it Langhe, Roagna, 2015. Actually was a very strong note for this on the current Nebbiolo thread. This is from old vines and more in line with Barolo then basic Langhe Nebb. Sounds like the 15 is showing well. There are some lower cost Nebb options though under $70

This featured Barbara sounds like a good option; Costa di Bussia, “Campo di Gatto”, 2017

Lastly, great Chianti but terrible markup. Will need some decant time but the 16 is very good Isole e Olena, 2016 Chianti Classico

E73C8C9C-4B2A-48AB-A1F1-718ED1D5BCD7.jpeg

I thought those prices were attractive as well until I realized that was the half bottle section.

1 Like

Oh crap!

My suggestions would be:

2016 Graci “Feudo di Mezzo” Etna Rosso - which at $126 is a smidgen over the budget but also just 250% of the WSP average price (and 300% the low price) and is a solid wine entering its drinking window.

I’m not an Italian whites guy but, if I had to pick…
2018 Elena Walch Castel Ringberg Pinot Grigio Alto Adige, which at $65 has the same percentages markup as the other one, and is under budget. This one I’m not as confident on but it has 90 pt ratings from Spectator, Enthusiast and Falstaff and, remarkably, an even higher rating of 91 on CT with nice tasting notes (except for some guy who doesn’t like Pinot Grigio). Can’t be bad…

Perfect evidence of the price of curating a large and exclusive wine list - the cost that is to those dining there. Are we wine geeks the problem here, in encouraging such bloated lists?

anyways, grump over, some lower end suggestions:

Rufina Riserva, Selvapiana, “Bucerchiale”, 2017 Bin 9312 81
This would be my choice for a red, as even at this young age it should be showing character (indeed oddly I opened a Torracino (Selvapiana) Rufina Riserva last night and it was drinking better than I’d expected.

Moscato d’Asti, La Spinetta, “Bricco Quaglia”, 2020 Bin 3000 66
This has a painfully high markup, but can serve as a pre-meal ‘pick-me-up’ or flexible dessert wine. Always really enjoyable and light on alc% if you have anyone driving.

Whites tough - I’d probably go for the Cieck Erbaluce from Piemonte @59, as I like the grape and recognise their name, but yet to try that actual wine. Alternatively I’d give the Somm a budget and ask them to recommend off the FVG listing.

Thanks all . My wife is planning on reaching out to the sommelier ahead of time and pre-order , as she is doing the same for the food .

I’m curious what the sommelier ends up recommending.

I had the 2013 Uccelliera in a restaurant in Boston’s North End a few years back and it was singing. Compared to the rest of the prices on the list it isn’t too bad. I paid $125.