Another [futile] plea for Cellartracker wine handle sanity!

Because my calibration starts with knowing the person and drinking with them. I’ve shared plenty of bottles across the table with people like Loren and Keith and Salil and even a few with FM III and Not Lisa. Some of you need to get out more and meet some real people.

For me it is time. It would be good to be able to easily and quickly link people from here and elsewhere to there.

Fine, just for you I am now J3r0me H@n on CT. Not that anyone really cares about what my palate says about my next $30 bottle of wine.

I’m member 478 on CT. When I signed up back in the early days, I used the same name I use on Flyertalk. It was a good way for friends to spot me. On Berserkers, I use my real name. On CT, I lose the a and n after Dan, then add 53. You can even check my CT handle and take a look at my cellar. It’s a small one, but one I’ve managed to improve over the years thanks to so many here.

dhammer53, and 53 is not my birth date. [wink.gif]

Well, yes but how to sort them out? If you don’t know who they are (meaning can’t id them with a real person like our friend Jay who has a drink with everybody :wink:, or in some other way like figuring out who they are on WB) it’s a long haul to sort out who on CT is worth paying attention to, too many TNs to wade through. I suppose there is some way to make that more efficient, but I haven’t tried to figure one out. So it’s more than I have time/patience for.

I figured out Dhammer all by myself. On the other hand, who is CubswinWS. Not that he has good taste.

You can favorite or friend a user. That way their notes have priority.

I’ve asked before but still don’t quite understand why. People use ampersands and zeroes in their name to mask themselves in Google searches.

What is real world situation that could be comprising if someone connected you to posts on CT or WB? Boss? Potential employer? Client? Spouse? Mistress? IRS?

What are the negative associations that could be inferred … this person drinks too much? This person spends too much time on the world wide webs instead of working? This person spends too much $ on wine? This Person has an unhealthy obsession?

Curious minds want to know …

If anyone with one of those symbol ridden handles wants to elucidate that would be great!

If we could just get your CT note output to match your consumption.

One can also construct a version of one’s name using international characters which is human readable but completely unintelligible to a computer. (see below)

I’ll take that as a compliment on my notes rather than a comment on my consumption! :slight_smile:

I vow to try and do better!

OK Frabjøùš

The answer is yes.

Is there a way to make their notes float to the top?

Please do Sarah, I’d love to more TNs by you (IIRC haven’t run into any so far).

Frankly, I did it because I didn’t want to give thought as to whether it mattered and it seemed a harmless safety device. I do not have to worry about employment because I am my own employer. Everyone I deal regularly knows I am a wine collector so it’s certainly not a secret from them. As I sit on the train ride home, I can’t think of a good reason, so if everyone changes their handle to a real name, I wil get rid of the @s in my handle. I play bridge on BBO under my own name, which few people do. I use a handle on ICC, but that’s because Tarraschtalker is a good chess pun.

It either happens automatically or there is a setting because mine do.

Rather than asking people to change their UserIDs, it would be cool if CellarTracker would let you put ‘nicknames’ in for posters (so you could put real names for posters who you knew) and the nicknames would only be viewable to you.

Keeps the poster secure and not worried about using their real names
You get to know who the reviews are from

I would guess it’s more of a liability potentially if someone is trying to link your behavior to your published wine intake. Many situations where that could be a disaster

I guess this more of an issue for you licensed physicians, attorneys and what not …

But you guys seem pretty tame to me! :slight_smile: